ICS Update Fails on Stock

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
My Bionic is fully stock and hasn't been tampered with. Got the notice to update a few hours ago. Downloaded and let it run. Not 20 seconds into the installation, the exclamation point shows up and reboots. Says it failed.
Any idea why this is happening? Also, is there a way to avoid continuously downloading the update each time it fails? Becoming very annoying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

TOPshogun

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Mines doing the same thing, I'm about to try a factory reset.

*edit* the factory reset worked...its downloading now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

kirkus

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm still unable to install the update after doing a factory reset. I'm running stock (but rooted.) Downloads and verifys okay. Start the install. Phone powers off, reboots, then I get the explanation mark about 30 seconds or so in. Phone reboots and displays a message that the update failed.

Just got off the phone with Verizion Level 2 Tech Support. Engineer said they had been getting calls all day about failed installations. Two types: (1) Explanation point, reboot, and failed message (2) hang during installation. My engineer said he had worked at least 15 of these issues in the few hours he'd been on the queue. He suspects the update will be pulled shortly.

Kirk

Last edited:

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I am stock and NOT rooted... I got the update to download and started the installation and after it went through the optimizing applications portion it started "updating media database" and has been stuck there for about an hour. Not sure if I should let it sit or pull the battery.

Edit: OK so I resisted the urge to pull the battery and just left it laying on my desk and came back after a couple of hours and it was all done and working fine.

Last edited:

calboogi

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Sounds similar to my issues kirkus. I just got off the phone with Verizon Level 2 Support and the dude gave up trying to provide a fix and they are sending me another phone.
After my install the phone starts up but hangs at the 'DROID' screen

spskeldon

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Same issue as the rest, talked to VZW as well, they said they're aware of the issue, working on a fix, and to try redownloading the update package later tonight.

oldguy1950

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I am also stock (rooted) and am seeing the same thing (exclamation point triangle about 20 seconds into the installation and then a reboot). I tried unrooting with Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper but that didn't help. I also tried unfreezing all of the bloatware and that didn't help either. Not planning to do a factory reset unless everyone else is succeeding and I am not. Waiting for the VZW fix.

WLS-ITguy

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I am also stock (rooted) and am seeing the same thing (exclamation point triangle about 20 seconds into the installation and then a reboot). I tried unrooting with Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper but that didn't help. I also tried unfreezing all of the bloatware and that didn't help either. Not planning to do a factory reset unless everyone else is succeeding and I am not. Waiting for the VZW fix.

Downloaded last night...Failed! Thought it was because I was rooted...unrooted...Failed. Backed up, factory reset...TWICE...Failed! Update is FUBAR'd.

WLS-ITguy

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

Downloaded last night...Failed! Thought it was because I was rooted...unrooted...Failed. Backed up, factory reset...TWICE...Failed! Update is FUBAR'd.

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Glad to see I'm not the only one.
Did a factory wipe and still no luck.
I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Android but this has me confused... :banghead:
I'll take the advice and try again tonight. Really is no reason why it should be failing on full stock.

My main device is the Gnex and I keep the Bionic on the side as a backup. Barely use it anymore.

paxkine

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Stock, rooted. Factory reset (wipe) downloaded 5 times; reboots and then says update failed! a few moments after reboot

So annoyed with vzw....lost root and still can't get ICS. Can they do anything right? Like testing the update first? Unreal...going to wait a few days until I see some positive posts then off to re-download (and re-root) *sigh*

oldguy1950

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

So, I looked in the /cache/ folder where the OTA is stored as "Blur_Version.5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip" and found a last_log file in the /cache/recovery/ folder. At the end of the log file there are these statements:
Verifying current system...
file "/system/bin/mount_ext3.sh" doesn't have any of expected sha1 sums; checking cache
failed to stat "/cache/saved.file": no such file or directory
failed to load cache file
script aborted: "assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/mount_ext3.sh", "1810bb2ccd607e2f6cfbeafa158bb3a89629d60b7","3a8382950bd4a6226349607d099afcbd93653d48")
E:Error in /cache/
Blur_Version.5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

From this I infer that a checksum is being applied to the mount_ext3.sh file and the installation is aborted if the checksum does not match. Coincidentally, that is the file that has a couple of chmod commands added to it to keep root permanent. I don't know if a factory reset will put that file back to its original state. I also don't know if it would be possible to restore root after doing so. I also don't know what other checks may fail if that one succeeds. However, it seems clear that VZW is, at a minimum, attempting to prevent rooted phones from taking the OTA to ICS by failing the installation on phones that have used the forever root method to maintain root through OTA updates.

vegasvampire666

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I' ve got my ICS...ota download when off without a hitch...I was excited until I realized I have a few things to figure out...it probably wouldnt bother me, but I'm rockin' a monster sinus headache. Everything looks a lil different...I'll be checking back for tips and whatnot, but I feel like a kid with a new phone....i live in las vegas, nevada.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

dmevis

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine fails too. Same as others... 15 seconds into the install, it reboots, and then reports that the update failed. Did a Factory Reset, and tried again. Still failed. Called Verizon, and they confirmed that there is something wrong with the update.

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is just finger-pointing. If there were something wrong with the update, there wouldn't be so many folks who have successfully OTAed to ICS. Now, could a download have gotten corrupted due to data-transfer issues from an overloaded server on a congested network, or could there be a local configuration issue on a given phone? Yes to either or both, and either is a lot more plausible than "that other vendor screwed up! It's not our fault!"

paxkine

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

After 3-4 hours I finally got it running and wanted to share what I did. I used RSD lite to flash back to the old .902 stock ROM. After rebooting I was prompted to take the next update (.905 or whatever I currently had). After rebooting again I was prompted for the ICS update. This time it worked like a charm and after a reboot I saw the new lock screen! Yes!

I started out with latest update (rooted) and this worked for me; hope it helps! I can say so far it is very worth it 4G much better looks to have free mobile hotspot and very smooth. Glad I did not go with one of the ROMS that don't quite work or brick your phone (I bricked 3) good luck!

DaleGriggs

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Mine failed the first time ( and last time. I unrooted it, did a factory reset and it failed again. I have done the update at least six times and it failed every time. It is Einsteins theory, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I am waiting for some owrd that it has been fixed, just like I have been waiting for ICS since July.
What else do you expect from Verzion?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Apparently the SBF leaked. :)

If you're comfortable flashing, I'd suggest doing that.

jpmorris7777

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I got the notice yesterday, downloaded, hit install, during the install it froze at updating media files, I was at work and when I checked on it 2 hours later still on same screen. I have a verizon company store across the street. Walked over and the tech pulled the battery. Rebooted and ics was up and running but my phone was in slow motion. The tech said it was motorola's fault and told me to call them. I called and did a factory reset. Phone came back up and has been working great since the reset. Just a pain in the but to have to do the reset, and then set the phone back up the way I like it. They made us wait for this update, and once we get it, it is driving everyone crazy

rattler21

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Never got the notice but tried in the bus on the way to work. Started the download then and it finished around lunch with a couple of stops during the download. The installation took a while but on the way home I had a new phone. The phone was completely stock and all went as expected. Just having fun finding where everything has been moved to and how to do all the new tricks. Good Luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513