DROID Bionic: Apps That Are Safe To Disable (now that you are on ICS)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just thought I'd get a list going, focusing on the apps that came on the phone/Blur ICS ROM -

To disable an app, Settings > Apps > All tab.

Select App. If necessary, Uninstall Updates. Option to Disable should appear.

Amazon Kindle
Apps (the Verizon Apps app)
City ID
Facebook
MOG Music
MOTOACTV
Music Store
My Music
NFL Mobile
Slacker Radio
Slingbox
Swype
V CAST Tones
Verizon Video
VZ Navigator

You should be able to uninstall these:

Blockbuster
Let's Golf
ZumoCast

Last edited:

Frankn Stein

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! So what's the difference between disabling and uninstalling? Since you can't uninstall these. That is, what's this doing for me? Just got ICS on bionic about 30 min ago.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! So what's the difference between disabling and uninstalling? Since you can't uninstall these. That is, what's this doing for me? Just got ICS on bionic about 30 min ago.

Disabling an app keeps that app's resources from ever running. Its launcher icon is gone until you re-enable it. But this doesn?t free up any space because pre-installed apps are included in the read-only system storage.

Uninstalling would remove the app completely but since the pre-installed apps are in the read-only system storage, you can't completely uninstall them.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I found a number of apps you can disable that I doubt will hurt the phone per se. The thing to watch for is will it interfere with usability. For example, you can safely disable the built in browser and Gmail apps, but you will need a replacement app for them if you still want to access the net and Gmail account.

I think any apps that would hurt stability if disabled have that option greyed out.

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
2 of the apps that i removed did not have the disable option,only uninstall. i think it was blockbuster and let golf 2.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
2 of the apps that i removed did not have the disable option,only uninstall. i think it was blockbuster and let golf 2.

For the apps that don't show the 'Disable' button, do the 'Uninstall Updates' step and then go back to it and there will be the 'Disable option - do it.

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
For the apps that don't show the 'Disable' button, do the 'Uninstall Updates' step and then go back to it and there will be the 'Disable option - do it.

Thanks Tom, but I already uninstalled them. I hope it doesn't cause problems down the line. I don't think it will because I had uninstalled lets golf 2 while we were on 2.3 and had no problems going forward to ics.

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums

DroidST

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd get a list going, focusing on the apps that came on the phone/Blur ICS ROM -

To disable an app, Settings > Apps > All tab.

Select App. If necessary, Uninstall Updates. Option to Disable should appear.

Amazon Kindle
Apps (the Verizon Apps app)
City ID
MOG Music
MOTOACTV
Music Store
My Music
NFL Mobile
Slacker Radio
Slingbox
Swype
V CAST Tones
Verizon Video
VZ Navigator

I disabled all of these (except Slacker, which I use).. I did a Clear Data for City ID first... Uninstalled Blockbuster

DroidST

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

From factory reset (246), there will be no Uninstall Updates (and of course no Disable) option for Blockbuster and Lets Golf, just Uninstall

Last edited:

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Also, you do not have to go into settings to disable or uninstall. Just open the app drawer, long press app (as if you wanted to add to home screen) and DO NOT PICK UP FINGER when home screen comes up, at the top of the screen where the trash icon usually sits it will say more, drag app here and let go. If an app can be uninstalled it will come up as an option.

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance