A tale of two Bionics

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
(No real question here yet, just sort of a blog of events so far)

The two smartphones in the house at the moment are both Bionics. Mine (stock .905, rooted) picked up the OTA when it first came out during what was originally going to be the soak test (for which I was not signed up). The update took a while, but went essentially without any bothersome incidents, as I've noted in other threads. The other one (stock .905, not rooted) just picked it up a couple of evenings ago, and hasn't successfully booted since then. Ironically, this is the same phone mentioned in this thread back in June, and the message on the screen is exactly the same under this update as it was under the OTA update to .905:

Invalid Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure)
0A.61

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

Invalid CG HAB (CB: recovery, status: 0X0035)

[cue Twilight Zone theme music ...]

I think it's fair to say that the phone seems predisposed to be a problem child. Having hung around this forum for a while now, I of course knew to go find SamuriHL's House of Bionic page, read the FAQ religiously, download (which by the way requires registration and multiple E-mail confirmations at both the droidrzr.com and Motorola sites :( ), install, then hook up the Bionic, after which the sun would come out, the birds would sing and .246 would be installed without a hitch ...

... or maybe not :-[ . Did I mention that this phone might be a problem child? ;)

The FAQ notes that an SD card is required for the REINSTALL option, which sounds like a good option to have available. This phone didn't have an SD card installed, but the young'un in question had a 2GB unit that was thought to work (it turns out to be nonfunctional, but my guess at the moment is that that's probably not where the problem lay). My desktop runs XP and I follow the practice of not running as an admin, so I had to use the Run As option run the various HoB installers. Installation completed normally.

Running the HoB batch file, selecting RSD and the 246 FXZ KEEP DATA option went okay through the initial FXZ step. At the radio step the Android with his chest open appeared on the screen for a while, then the phone appeared to get into a boot loop, each time giving the computer just enough time to pick up a new Motorola XT875 device that it really seemed to want to install, but not enough time to install it. And of course I was still logged in as myself, so I logged out, logged back in as an admin, restarted the upgrade, timed things as well as I could, accepted the installation of the new device -- and blue-screened the computer. Sprinkle in several more rounds, running as an admin, running as myself, trying to move the process forward -- y'all know the drill.

A few hours after starting this process, I had learned a thing or two, but the phone was stuck in what is probably the mode described in the FAQ as a "black screen with vibrations," which I would describe as more like a small haptic-feedback thump every few seconds. RSD on the computer screen was telling me to reboot the phone by hand, which required a battery pull to achieve, but that wasn't helping us get any further. The FAQ prescription for this symptom is to install the WEBTOP installer, then to use the same 246 FXZ KEEP DATA option as before. So today I verified the non-functionality of the SD card, sent the young'un off to Fry's to pick up a new one, downloaded and installed the WEBTOP installer, used my phone to charge the other phone's battery, and will give it all another shot once the various duckies are in a row.

I'll follow up with another post when I know more. Wish me luck!

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
SD card installed, fully-charged battery in place, logged in as an admin, started the HoB batch file, got partway along in the process and blue-screened the computer again. :(

Logged back in as myself, started the HoB batch file, noticed that the WEBTOP piece intervened between the FXZ and RADIO segments. The phone booted ICS. Everything seems to be complete, except that RSD Lite is still asking to "Please manually power up this phone" and the command window in which the batch file is running is still showing "1 file(s) copied." after the notification that it was "Flashing HouseOfBionic_RADIO.xml". Power-cycling the phone (and now that it's booting ICS, changing the USB mode to MTP mode) has no effect. I guess I'll disconnect it and see how it's doing; if something seems to be missing I can always restart the process now that it's at least booting reliably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol