no sound on videos after ics

yirgster

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Reset to factory defaults for ics droid 4.0.4.

But now when I play videos there's no sound. Not from youtube, not from espn, not from videos on my sd card (which I removed prior to the factory reset). I've tried with MX, QuiclPic and video player. Makes no difference.

Other sounds are OK. Ring tone, chat, text and email notifications, alarm, etc.

Looking for help!!!!

SithLord0498

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been having that same problem too. The only consistent workaround I've found is to go to the lockscreen, move the slider to "Vibrate/Silent" mode, and then back again. Then turn down the volume one or two spots, and you should hear the sound that accompanies it. When you back to the video, you should be fine. My experience has been that it's an overall sound issue because my MP3s will play without sound as well if I try to switch to that app. In fact, that's usually when I run into the issue.

It is most definitely a software issue related to OS 4.0.4 because I've never had the problem prior to ICS, and I've had it happen roughly 6-7 times since ICS.

yirgster

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Did you recently update the os?

Not knowingly! Pls forgive my ignorance, I assumed any necessary kernel updates would be part of the pushed ICS update. I received the ICS update the usual way (phone says an update is available), but after installing it things got slow and battery life seemed a lot less and it was suggested I do a factory reset which is what I did. I don't root my phone and run vanilla, so I would have expected that any update pushed by verizon would include all that's needed.

In any case, do I have an out-of-rev kernel?

Looking at "about" in settings, I see (including them all just in case):

System version: 6.7.236.XT875.Verizon.en.US
Android version: 4.0.4
Broadband vrsion: CDMA_N_05.13.01RLTEDC_U_09.14.00
Webtop version: wt-3.0.0

Kernel version: 3.0.8-g4328f8b
hudsoncm@il93lnxdroid83 #1
SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 20 17:13:11 CDT 2012

Build number: 6.7.-233_DBN_M4-23
Build date: Thu Sep 20 17:14:54 CDT 2012

yirgster

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Looks like this worked for me! Thanks!

I had left the phone to charge in vibrate only as usual last night but it was--though I didn't realize it-- in the middle of a video (no sound). Read your suggestion, moved from vibrate to sound on the lock screen, went back to the gallery, amazingly chose the same video, MX asked if I wanted to start it again, I did, and there was the sound!

> It is most definitely a software issue related to OS 4.0.4 because I've never had the problem prior to ICS, and I've had it happen roughly 6-7 times since ICS.

Do you happen to know where they keep a bug list? I have zero idea but I'd be willing to search for this problem in their bug db and file a bug if it's not there.

Could this issue be not a general 4.0.4 problem but one related specifically to verizon's "port" of ICS? Hope this is an at least semi-intelligent question. [Well I just saw that this problem was reported also for the ASUS transformer tablet upon ICS upgrade.]

Last edited:

SithLord0498

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear that it worked! :)

Honestly, I have no idea where one would find an official bug list or where to even report one so that the right people get the message. A more experienced member here will probably be able to chime in with that though.

brnscofrnld

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine does the same thing every few days. No sound for anything but the ring tone. The only workaround I found was to go into my sound setting and re select my default ring tone again and all the sound comes back.

I end doing that every night before bed just to make sure my alarm goes off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1