Please help me love my Bionic again...

Daphne Brune

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I have been having issues with my Bionic ever since the upgrade to ICS including the touchscreen going non-responsive, battery drain (yes, I keep the usual battery drain suspects off, and I use Task Killer), inability to answer calls. However, the newest quirk my Bionic has been displaying, the proverbial straw, has got me thinking wistfully of getting a different phone. Perhaps you fine people can help me fix this. It has been displaying garbage in the widgets instead of text. At least right now it's displaying text for the app shortcuts, but at times everything is garbage. I was able to accomplish that after a soft reset, power cycle and battery removal.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I have been having issues with my Bionic ever since the upgrade to ICS including the touchscreen going non-responsive, battery drain (yes, I keep the usual battery drain suspects off, and I use Task Killer), inability to answer calls. However, the newest quirk my Bionic has been displaying, the proverbial straw, has got me thinking wistfully of getting a different phone. Perhaps you fine people can help me fix this. It has been displaying garbage in the widgets instead of text. At least right now it's displaying text for the app shortcuts, but at times everything is garbage. I was able to accomplish that after a soft reset, power cycle and battery removal.

Could you post a screenshot?

Daphne Brune

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Here are a couple of screenshots. All widgets are displaying this behavior with text, and as I said before sometimes the app shortcuts do the same thing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-14-13-07-26 (1).png
    Screenshot_2013-02-14-13-07-26 (1).png
    617.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_2013-02-14-13-07-20.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-14-13-07-20.png
    555.1 KB · Views: 52

Erievon

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
+1 and then some. Agreed that it sucks, but ICS is so different from Gingerbread behind the scenes that doing the ota and then adding all that info created on the old os just creates problems. Best to start over - clean.

Also, ditch that Task Killer. You're doing more harm then good. ICS is pretty efficient in managing itself, by you killing tasks you are fighting the OS. Just because it shows up in the task killer list doesn't mean it's truly running or draining power, just means it's in a ready state as the OS thinks it might need something from it in the near future.

LemmyCaution

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Use a Thunderbolt for a week... :)

That said - as Erievon mentioned: Uninstall Task Killer etc.
Personally? Do a factory reset - it can be a pain but, if you back your info up - not a problem. I'm constantly playing with ROMs so I end up doing a reset every couple of months. Seems to solve many little problems. You can also try clearing the caches (Recovery menu).

Rooting this phone (GB 893?) eliminated most of the little problems that I had with it. Now, it's running Official ICS - .246/Safestrap/CMO 10.1 JB. Since it's rooted, I can use Titanium Backup which makes recovering from a factory reset easier.

As far as battery use - I disabled the new "Backup Assistant + Media" - (Manage apps - choose Backup Assistant + Media - uninstall updates then, disable). This helped -some. Also - I'm noticing that both of my batteries are beginning the slow downward death spiral that Lithium Ion batteries exhibit. They do have a finite service life.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy