WTF is this stupid VZW wi-fi "notication" status bar icon msg that comes up constantly?

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Can someone PLEASE tell me what the F is this stupid thing and how to turn it off? Weird that it's only started showing in my top notification bar starting about a week or so ago. I haven't downloaded any new apps, just updated currently installed ones.

It's annoying as hell, as it pops up at least every other day or so. I have no idea WHY it wants wi-fi and if I do turn on my home wi-fi and select it, the notification just simply goes away, so I have no idea what app was wanting the wi-fi connection and what it's doing.

Thanks in advance! :)

roadpizza73

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: WTF is this stupid VZW wi-fi "notication" status bar icon msg that comes up constantly?

Judging by the screenshot you linked to, it looks and smells to be related to Verizon's "Backup Assistant+". Press Menu, then scroll to find it. Select it and see what options are available. I have vague memories of this and/or other such apps having a choice to only sync via WiFi when available. I cannot at this time check for these options for this 'app' as I have not enabled it, as I prefer to backup my stuff elsewhere, should I dump Verizon (make that WHEN I dump Verizon). The same holds true for Gargoyle or any other cloud service for that matter. You and others may want to consider using a personal 'off-device' backup solution ;-) /soapboxoff

I hope this leads you down a useful path!

rp

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: WTF is this stupid VZW wi-fi "notication" status bar icon msg that comes up constantly?

i have a wifi toggle installed on my phone with a button on the screen. so i don't have to go through the settings to turn the wifi off.

only time i use my wifi is when i download my copilot gps map. 1.3 gigs.

tenacious

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

I had this same annoying message popping up within the last week. It seemed to relate to the Backup Assistant+ as someone else said. I went into Manage Apps to disable Backup Assistant+ but could only Force Close because the Disable button was grayed out. And the Force Close only lasted for a little while. I was also not able to disable the other backup app Backup Assistant+ Contacts Client.

But I also noticed Backup+ Media in the App list. I was able to disable it and at least since yesterday I have not received the annoying message. I may be speaking too soon but I believe/hope that did it. Time will tell. But if you want to try it:

Menu button > Manage Apps (then make sure All is chosen at the top) > Backup+ Media. Uninstall any updates first. Then choose Disable.

If the message comes back I will post.

BTW, since this message started my battery life has significantly decreased. I hope this takes care of it. I don't know why this pop up message just started. Was there a recent Backup Assistant update that started this? I thought I remembered a recent update.

tenacious

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

What I posted above stopped that annoying message for me -

Menu button > Manage Apps (then make sure All is chosen at the top) > Backup+ Media. Uninstall any updates first. Then choose Disable.

nickacs never posted back even though he started this thread. You're welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21