Droid Bionic Running Hot and Battery dying quickly

1800collect

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
All of a sudden sometime early yesterday morning my Bionic started running hot. The battery started draining like crazy. I have Watchdog installed and havent' received any alerts. When I look at my batter stats Android System seems to be running higher than normal at around 10%. I've restarted multiple times and even left my phone off for a while and turned it back on.

No other apps seem to be misbehaving according to Watchdog. My battery stats show a high percentage on the screen like normal, but Android system is now number 2 which I don't ever remember it being like that.

It's running so hot that my normal USB cable plugged into my computer and charging it doesn't charge it fast enough and the battery actually drains so I have to plug it into a wall to keep a charge.

I have no clue what to do besides a factory reset which I am not looking forward to. If I have to factory reset what's the best process of backing up everything and restoring.

1800collect

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
You say you restarted, but have you tried pulling the battery for a minute or so before restarting?

Yup. I went in and started disabling Verizon's backup apps. I kept getting warnings as of late saying their backups failed even though I don't use them. I don't know if that stopped it but the overheating seems to have died down. I also uninstalled unused apps. But again Watchdog wasn't saying anything about any apps. So my only guess is one of the bundled apps was acting up but not showing itself. Dunno.

I just checked Watchdog again and Android System is now down to 2% instead of the 10% and above it was at before. It's now cool to the touch... So weird.

Last edited:

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
it's probably time for a new battery.

my original does exactly what yours does. and only lasts 30 minutes now.

i got mine from battery connections. local and was cheap. bought the extended battery for $24. with new backing lid. the phone has been discontinued for 6 months now. verizon doesn't carry batteries anymore.

batteries plus seems to be all over the place. so give them a try if there's one near you.

batteries are like anything else. NOTHING lasts forever.

HowardL168

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Probably an offending app. I had that happen today, as I was running LogMeIn to my home computer. I had been at 100% when the session started. I got interrupted and left it running, but still connected to my charger...drained down to 49% and the temp rose to 145?! After disconnecting, it was still hot...noticed in app manager it was still running. Did a force STOP, and then the device started to cool down (and allow a charge back up).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty