Battery draining excessively fast.

AllPurposeRadio

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Unrooted Bionic running Jelly Bean. I don't know if there's an issue with my phone, there are settings that need changes, or I'm simply expecting more battery life than the norm. I unplugged my phone at 1030 am this morning fully charged. I would say I wasn't using it heavily. Took some pictures, had 3 short calls with a total talk time of 2-3 minutes, sent 2 text messages, and checked a couple apps once or twice. Hardly what I'd call power use. By 230 phone was dead. This isn't out of the ordinary either as it seems with any kind moderate use the battery is under 20% in 2-3 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It'd be helpful if you took a screenshot of your Battery stats in the Settings menu, preferably when it's run down for a while, so we can see what's been using up battery.

Some tips to save battery:

1. Keep the screen brightness set manually to the minimum level needed.
2. Use static wallpapers instead of live ones.
3. Keep wifi, Bluetooth, and mobile data off unless you need them. Install a good toggle app like Power Toggles to make it easy to turn these off or on.
4. If you don't need constant web updates for your various apps, set all of the data refresh intervals for your apps (like Facebook, weather apps, news apps, etc.) to manual or to the least frequent interval available. Frequent data refreshes eat battery.
5. Turn off Location Reporting in Google Maps by opening Maps, tapping the menu button and then Settings/Location Settings, and then turning off Location Reporting. This is used primarily for Latitude, and causes Maps to execute partial wake locks many times during the day, which can drain battery.
6. Install Wake Lock Detector and wait about a day before running it to find out which apps are causing the phone to wake up, either fully or partially, to do some kind of process. This is how I found out about #5.
7. If you don't use Google Currents, disable it. If you do, change the refresh interval to manual. Currents has been identified as a big battery hog.
8. Some antivirus/security apps use more power than others. I found that Avast used significantly more battery than Lookout.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
You may need a new battery. My original battery started draining excessively fast, took to Verizon store and the tech there said something about the internals losing ability to hold charge anymore. Replaced battery and things are much better. If I use the phone a lot during a day without charging at some point - I do drive a bunch for work and use a car charger almost all the time - I can get down to 20 percent or so still. But no longer dying halfway through the day.

AllPurposeRadio

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Already a happy power toggles user but definitely going to try the wake lock detector. Yeah truth be told I'm sure I probably have everything to quickest possible refresh times which can't help matters. What about App Killers? Do they help at all?

I have thought about it just being the battery itself showing it's age and investing in a new one if even just to have a backup but I'll probably be upgrading in a month or so anyway.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Install the Greenify App (root required), and hibernate the apps you don't use constantly. I've noticed a huge improvement that even using a new battery didn't provide. Seems like after JB settled in on my Bionic there was constant battery drain, now I notice a huge improvement in battery life and overall performance.

AllPurposeRadio

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Install the Greenify App (root required), and hibernate the apps you don't use constantly. I've noticed a huge improvement that even using a new battery didn't provide. Seems like after JB settled in on my Bionic there was constant battery drain, now I notice a huge improvement in battery life and overall performance.

Unfortunately not rooted. Stopped following the JB update thread... I'm guessing they found an exploit lol

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately not rooted. Stopped following the JB update thread... I'm guessing they found an exploit lol

There are a few ways to skin the cat, just checkout the JB Update thread, but I did keep root after the new update. Rooting really permits use of some excellent apps, such as Titanium Backup (and now Greenify). I was considering trying out another ROM due to the high battery drain, but then I learned of this Greenify app through Android Forums. It really does make a difference, now my Bionic lasts all day without charging until bedtime.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Already a happy power toggles user but definitely going to try the wake lock detector. Yeah truth be told I'm sure I probably have everything to quickest possible refresh times which can't help matters. What about App Killers? Do they help at all?

I have thought about it just being the battery itself showing it's age and investing in a new one if even just to have a backup but I'll probably be upgrading in a month or so anyway.

App killers don't help in general--they can actually contribute to battery drain, because the system will probably try to restart apps you just closed as part of its normal operation, which will use more battery. The only good use for an app killer is to close a rogue or runaway app.

How old is your battery? The average life of a battery is around 3 years or so--it depends more on how many charging cycles it's undergone, with the average being around 400-500. Information here.

eewwyeah

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Unrooted Bionic running Jelly Bean. I don't know if there's an issue with my phone, there are settings that need changes, or I'm simply expecting more battery life than the norm. I unplugged my phone at 1030 am this morning fully charged. I would say I wasn't using it heavily. Took some pictures, had 3 short calls with a total talk time of 2-3 minutes, sent 2 text messages, and checked a couple apps once or twice. Hardly what I'd call power use. By 230 phone was dead. This isn't out of the ordinary either as it seems with any kind moderate use the battery is under 20% in 2-3 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

having same issue since JB update. thought it was just because battery was getting old (replaced about a year ago).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar