Goodbye to my Bionic

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Also, I fooled around with an S4 at the Vz store again and I ran a Quad benchmark myself. I really loved the interface. Must. Resist. Temptation. Of. Impulsive. Purchase!

Are you in the market for a phone now?

Erievon

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand that mentality right there. I really seriously don't. You found a phone that you genuinely like and are willing to wait 5+ months in the hopes that some unknown device from Moto *MIGHT* be marginally better? That's 5 months of having an awesome device you could enjoy NOW vs waiting and waiting and waiting for something that may or may not materialize.

Exactly. Get the S4 if you want it now. 5 months from now if you MUST have the Moto X, buy it full price, activate it, and sell that S4 to recoup (most) of the cost. You'll still be subsidizing the X to a point, in a backwards way. In the mean time you'll get to enjoy what you want now, not the hope of what might or might not be as impressive as all this marketing hype is trying to suggest.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
All good points. Does anyone have any idea when the Dev Edition comes out?

I still plan on waiting until I get back from 2-weeks outdoor maneuvers. That way if my Bionic is damaged, it's NBD and I'll be back in civilization on June 30th anyways.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Also, I'm still not totally over the mess that the Bionic updates experienced initially. Though with JB now my Bionic is working great, I still think Samsung may be the best next step to take.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
My upgrade comes in August. Doesn't appear an HTC One or variant is coming to Verizon, nor anything else compelling between now and then, so I will likely be going with the S4. Quick question on the "paying retail but spreading out over 12 month billing" method of keeping unlimited data. Since it's not an upgrade, could I go now (before upgrade date) and pay full retail for the S4?

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You are incorrect. HTC One is coming to VZW later this summer according to the news out of VZW just today. :)

And to answer your question, yes, if you're not using an upgrade and are paying full retail price, you can "upgrade" whenever you want and not lose unlimited.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! And after posting here I noticed the news you just mentioned. May still go with the S4, but like having options!

HTC One coming to Verizon this summer | The Verge

You are incorrect. HTC One is coming to VZW later this summer according to the news out of VZW just today. :)

And to answer your question, yes, if you're not using an upgrade and are paying full retail price, you can "upgrade" whenever you want and not lose unlimited.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing that the HTC One on Verizon still won't have an microSD slot? It's a very nice phone (can't believe more manufactures haven't thought to have stereo speakers on the front), but the overall package of the S4 really has it all.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing that the HTC One on Verizon still won't have an microSD slot? It's a very nice phone (can't believe more manufactures haven't thought to have stereo speakers on the front), but the overall package of the S4 really has it all.

Probably won't have an SD slot.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Karma.

"The US International Trade Commission has found Apple guilty of infringing on a Samsung-owned patent, issuing a cease-and-desist order on older iPhone and iPad models. The limited exclusion order specifically targets the Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 3GS, Apple iPad 3G, Apple iPad 2 3G and their use of Samsung?s wireless 3G patent (no. 7,706,348)."

http://phandroid.com/2013/06/04/itc...select-iphones-and-ipad-facing-ban-in-the-us/

Syounger64

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
A few Apple freaks were telling me about this. Sick of the lawsuits and silly waste of money in courts instead of on developing awesome phones. Apple needs a taste of its own medicine.

Syounger64

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a real sign of the end of the Bionic if there's this much discussion about OTHER phones. I had the Bionic from the first month it was out. Can't call it an epic fail but it did let down tons of people. Thanks a lot, Motorolla! Ive been looking into getting the Samsung Note 2 phone this weekend then swap it for the Note 3 because of its monster specs in the Fall. I'm done with this phone and its laggy JB update. Yes I did make a few changes to see some little improvement but enough already.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think it's a real sign of the end of the Bionic if there's this much discussion about OTHER phones. I had the Bionic from the first month it was out. Can't call it an epic fail but it did let down tons of people. Thanks a lot, Motorolla! Ive been looking into getting the Samsung Note 2 phone this weekend then swap it for the Note 3 because of its monster specs in the Fall. I'm done with this phone and its laggy JB update. Yes I did make a few changes to see some little improvement but enough already.

We're talking about a phone that was released on September 8th, 2011. Do you know how long that is in phone years?! :)

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

Thats what kept me from waiting for the One - SD and replaceable battery. I'm still intrigued by those speakers though.

PS my Bionic served me well but its onto the S4. And just as a reminder (because I lost unlimited data and went for the 2gb plan). When installing your apps onto your new phone from the market, don't be stupid like me and make sure you use wifi!. gotta get used to the whole data cap thing.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

The Bionic (at first) was a let down. I bought it a month after it released (the losing data for hours on end was priceless). But Moto did their job and made fixes and the phone got better and better over time - albeit slowly. The ICS update was like getting a new phone. And thanks to Samurai I was able to instal that much quicker than the OTA. The Bionic (now) still holds it's weight somewhat. The dual core processor can still do its thing 2 years later.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Bionic (at first) was a let down. I bought it a month after it released (the losing data for hours on end was priceless). But Moto did their job and made fixes and the phone got better and better over time - albeit slowly. The ICS update was like getting a new phone. And thanks to Samurai I was able to instal that much quicker than the OTA. The Bionic (now) still holds it's weight somewhat. The dual core processor can still do its thing 2 years later.

My Bionic more than holds it's own. I'm going to keep it as long as I can. Love the Lapdock.

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
My Bionic more than holds it's own. I'm going to keep it as long as I can. Love the Lapdock.
I don't have a Lapdock, but I'm right there with you on keeping the Bionic. It's a mobile Internet-capable device that also handles communications via multiple channels, and does it all well. When the Note 2 drops down to the $30 range that I paid for the Bionic, I may defect to the larger screen to help my aging eyes, but in the meantime the Bionic is so effective in its various roles that I feel no pressure to upgrade. None.