02-22-2011 08:42 PM
35 12
tools
    I am going to be upgrading soon from an OG Droid and I am really hesitant because nothing on Verizon is running stock Android. I really like Moto and the Droid Bionic looks nice, but I am also considering the HTC Thunderbolt. Can everyone weigh in on which is better - Sense or Motoblur? I would rather have neither, but it looks like I will have to pick one. (HTC does seem better on upgrading Android)
    01-17-2011 05:44 PM
    Personally, I am a fan of Sense over Blur, but the Bionic's specs (especially the processor) kick the crap out of what the Thunderbolt has to offer. Unless HTC announces a dual-core phone at MWC, I would just go with the Bionic and deal with Blur.

Most likely, the Thunderbolt will be hacked much more quickly than the Bionic, so if you are dying for stock Android and don't really care about dual-core at this point, get the Thunderbolt.
    01-17-2011 06:08 PM
    I am also a personal fan of Sense over Blur. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything *wrong* with Blur, and I think a lot of the hate some people have towards it is a little unfair, I just think Sense is a little more polished than Blur (and visually attractive as well).
    01-17-2011 06:19 PM
    i would base your phone purchase decision off of the device itself rather than the UI. you can always use a replacement launcher (like launcherpro or adw) to customize the look and feel of the phone to you liking, or even flash a custom rom to the device once they become available.
    01-17-2011 10:39 PM
    watch out that sense dock is ugly and nonfunctional.......skip the corporate UI debate, we all have far better UI options without root...several of them!
    01-17-2011 10:41 PM
    I played with the Incredible the other day and love the Sense. I've never tried Blur but I'm starting to like the Bionic. Man, this is a hard choice for my next upgrade. I might just wait LONGER for more phones to come out.
    01-18-2011 08:16 AM
    01-18-2011 09:21 AM
    I personally prefer stock android but if I were to decide I'd choose the bionic. Mainly because the bionic's hardware is in a completely different league than the thunderbolt. Also the version of blur on the bionic is an updated version and not the same as on other phones. We'll have to see what it's like.
    01-20-2011 03:17 AM
    sense over all but stock and even the light blur on the bionic. But the bionic has great specs
    01-20-2011 08:34 AM
    I would go with the Bionic. Blur isn't that bad and Motorola makes better hardware in my opinion. The battery life on the Bionic should be better too.
    01-22-2011 06:29 PM
    Bionic hands down. I have a good feeling about this phone. Nothing wrong with Blur. Don't get discouraged.
    01-22-2011 06:43 PM
    What about the phone part itself? Which one has better reception, voice quality, less dropped calls, sound quality, loud enough, good with bluetooth, etc.? How has HTC vs Moto in these categories?
    01-22-2011 08:28 PM
    What about the phone part itself? Which one has better reception, voice quality, less dropped calls, sound quality, loud enough, good with bluetooth, etc.? How has HTC vs Moto in these categories?
    Hard to say exactly, but comparing both the Incredible and Droid X (HTC and Motorola flagship devices on Verizon), they both have excellent voice call quality from all accounts (although apparently the X does have a bit of a muffled sound to some people).
    01-22-2011 08:30 PM
    Hard to say exactly, but comparing both the Incredible and Droid X (HTC and Motorola flagship devices on Verizon), they both have excellent voice call quality from all accounts (although apparently the X does have a bit of a muffled sound to some people).
    I used to have Moto (V60, E815, Razr) and they really had good reception, able to pull signals in weak areas...I was hoping they carried that rep into their Droid phones. My nephew has an HTC Incredible and likes it. Both phones look great; in fact I think the HTC TB looks nicer, sexier, but the Bionic's mechanics sound better.
    01-22-2011 08:40 PM
    I used to have Moto (V60, E815, Razr) and they really had good reception, able to pull signals in weak areas...I was hoping they carried that rep into their Droid phones. My nephew has an HTC Incredible and likes it. Both phones look great; in fact I think the HTC TB looks nicer, sexier, but the Bionic's mechanics sound better.
    FYI, the Incredible under-reports signal strength if you were planning on doing any comparisons.
    01-23-2011 12:32 AM
    Anyone know of a link to a comparison chart between Blur and Sense?
    01-26-2011 01:54 AM
    Anyone know of a link to a comparison chart between Blur and Sense?
    They don't differ much in functionality. Sense is just less clunkier and more well thought out than Moto's software.
    01-26-2011 01:20 PM
    I am also a personal fan of Sense over Blur. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything *wrong* with Blur, and I think a lot of the hate some people have towards it is a little unfair, I just think Sense is a little more polished than Blur (and visually attractive as well).
    I agree with all of this.

General advice I'd give to anyone making an Android purchase: get the phone that meets your needs in the hardware department. You can always replace a launcher, mail or sms application. but if your phone doesn't meet your expectations in terms of battery life, camera, voice quality, build quality, etc.. then there isn't much the dev community or the Android Market can do to change that.
    01-26-2011 01:24 PM
    I agree with all of this.

General advice I'd give to anyone making an Android purchase: get the phone that meets your needs in the hardware department. You can always replace a launcher, mail or sms application. but if your phone doesn't meet your expectations in terms of battery life, camera, voice quality, build quality, etc.. then there isn't much the dev community or the Android Market can do to change that.
    Awesome advice. Thats the beauty of android.
    01-28-2011 02:43 PM
    OK my friend finally someone I have found that thinks like me so you help me and then I will give you a little scoop on Bionic but in PM.

OK I want to buy a device with Motoblur not sense. So this means a Samsung device like yours or HTC for sense and of course Motorola for blur.

Tell me why your preference went with sense and not blur and what was the deciding factors in this?
    01-31-2011 06:51 PM
    I would go with the Bionic. Blur isn't that bad and Motorola makes better hardware in my opinion. The battery life on the Bionic should be better too.
    +1
    I can w/o a doubt first hand tell you this statement is true. The battrey life is going to shock alot of people.
    01-31-2011 06:56 PM
    Bionic hands down. I have a good feeling about this phone. Nothing wrong with Blur. Don't get discouraged.
    You should trust me... I know first hand!!
    01-31-2011 06:58 PM
    OK my friend finally someone I have found that thinks like me so you help me and then I will give you a little scoop on Bionic but in PM.

OK I want to buy a device with Motoblur not sense. So this means a Samsung device like yours or HTC for sense and of course Motorola for blur.

Tell me why your preference went with sense and not blur and what was the deciding factors in this?
    Like I said before, I don't find anything particularly wrong with Blur, and a lot of the hatred towards it I feel is completely unwarranted. Everyone has their own opinion though, and that's just me.

To be specific, I just like the looks of Sense over Blur. Blur feels a little "cheap" to me, I don't really know how to explain it, but maybe it just doesn't have the eye candy that I like to see. As far as functionality goes, there's not much difference between the two, and Blur is just as capable as Sense.
    01-31-2011 08:42 PM
    Like I said before, I don't find anything particularly wrong with Blur, and a lot of the hatred towards it I feel is completely unwarranted. Everyone has their own opinion though, and that's just me.

To be specific, I just like the looks of Sense over Blur. Blur feels a little "cheap" to me, I don't really know how to explain it, but maybe it just doesn't have the eye candy that I like to see. As far as functionality goes, there's not much difference between the two, and Blur is just as capable as Sense.
    Chris,
    Thank you for the feedback as this is really a big help to me and I am sure others to get your impressions. Now all I have to do is form my own.
    02-01-2011 08:34 AM
    I'm pretty much in the same boat here. My NE2 is up right now, and I am debating between these 2 devices from the original OG Droid. I am thinking of getting a used Droid X off craigslist to tide me over until the Bionic comes out and I can play with the both of them. I haven't really used either Sense or Blur, but I see allot of people hate one or the other. I just kinda wished they were like home replacements and you could buy and download whichever one you wanted and liked from the marketplace. I just honestly don't know how long I can hold out for either of these devices to comeout with all of the delays.
    02-09-2011 08:00 PM
35 12