Dang it!! New features coming to Verizon that won't...

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, that's interesting. I had been hearing this wouldn't be something that would be coming to LTE (voice over LTE) for a couple more years and it was essentially going to be data only for now.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'll keep my fingers crossed that all the 4G capable phones will be able to do "hi def" phone calls. Anyone who has made a skype call or used Facetime knows how poor a normal cell call is, by comparison.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
be usable on the Bionic. There will be an LG phone that supports Voice over LTE, and better call quality. Grrr!!! I haven't even got the Bionic yet, and now another phone is going to have an awesome new feature.

[EDIT] The info has been corrected by CNN that the LG will NOT ship with this feature functional.

Verizon set to launch voice-over-LTE service, starting with LG Revolution - Yahoo! News

Verizon plans 4G internet calling service - CNN.com

Can't win!! :)

Why do you think that the Bionic won't be able to do this? The VoLTE spec is designed in such a way that it shouldn't require any new hardware to use. More likely than not, it will just require a software update to implement the new features.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Why do you think that the Bionic won't be able to do this? The VoLTE spec is designed in such a way that it shouldn't require any new hardware to use. More likely than not, it will just require a software update to implement the new features.

That's what I thought. I was under the assumption this was a change that wouldn't require any special hardware changes to a phone. Software, maybe. But I'd imagine that any LTE phone that is coming out in the next few months should be able to take advantage of this feature even if it takes some sort of software update.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
That's what I thought. I was under the assumption this was a change that wouldn't require any special hardware changes to a phone. Software, maybe. But I'd imagine that any LTE phone that is coming out in the next few months should be able to take advantage of this feature even if it takes some sort of software update.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
That's what I'm hoping for.

The fact that the Revolution is doing it tells us that no new hardware is required. The connectivity chipset the Revolution has is the same as the Bionic's. (and the Thunderbolt's) It was designed from the outset to be compatible with VoLTE, since that spec requires no new revision of LTE.

The only thing that might hold the Bionic back from getting VoLTE will be VZW's crazy quality assurance procedures.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
be usable on the Bionic. There will be an LG phone that supports Voice over LTE, and better call quality. Grrr!!! I haven't even got the Bionic yet, and now another phone is going to have an awesome new feature.

[EDIT] The info has been corrected by CNN that the LG will NOT ship with this feature functional.

Verizon set to launch voice-over-LTE service, starting with LG Revolution - Yahoo! News

Verizon plans 4G internet calling service - CNN.com

Can't win!! :)

Yes But The Revolution is not Dual Core. So it will be the same as The Thunderbolt.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000