What does "4G-Like" mean?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
LTE won't meet it's full potential for quite a few years (which is where Advanced LTE will come into play). My guess is this is Motorola's way of getting around that. :p

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Being as how they finish the sentence with "much greater than typical 3G", they are referring to the radios.

Read the copy before it.

'With 512 MB ram and a dual-core processor, DROID BIONIC by Motorola allows you to experience 4G like power and speeds much greater than typical 3G'.

The bolded part of the sentence references the processor and ram, which is what they were comparing to 4G-like speeds. The second part references the network.

Like I said, really poorly written copy.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
wait so if LTE is considered by verizon as "4G-like", how come t-mobile and ATT can get away with just saying it is "4G"? LTE is faster the HSPA+

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
And that sucks if they could have chosen a better band to operate on wimax could have been a winner especially with advanced right around the corner that seems to be a beast. but winax was the reason I didn't get an evo I saw the writing on the wall that wimax was going nowhere fast even though I have wimax coverage

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
yeah and now with sprint's WiMax provider pretty much broke, it looks like they will be converting to LTE anyway. But still, VZW owns most of the 700MHz band in America. ATT has a decent chunck but not much.

Does anyone know if LTE will run on other bands? I think so, but not sure.

In any event VZW is so confident in their LTE network that they are looking at using it for FIOS instead of running all that fiber.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Yes lte should be able to run on different bands but the 700mhz band seems great now VZW be as quick as sprint and have lte in my area within a year and when I say my area sprint has wimax around my house but the coverage is spotty at best

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Regardless if the ITU isn't claiming LTE/WiMax "4G", it's technically the ONLY network that's based on a fourth generation cellular technology.

So, when AT&T releases their LTE, what they going to call it? 5G?

Also, regardless if they call it "4G-Like".. you're going to see MUCH better speeds on this device than any other "4G" devices by AT&T/T-Mobile..

Check out the AT&T Atrix 4G thread on here called "Atrix data speeds suck" and you'll see what I mean.

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Read the copy before it.

'With 512 MB ram and a dual-core processor, DROID BIONIC by Motorola allows you to experience 4G like power and speeds much greater than typical 3G'.

The bolded part of the sentence references the processor and ram, which is what they were comparing to 4G-like speeds. The second part references the network.

Like I said, really poorly written copy.

I did read it, I guess its just how you read it

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
'With 512 MB ram and a dual-core processor, the DROID BIONIC by Motorola allows you to experience the power of 4G with speeds much greater than found with typical 3G'.

I like my version much better.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
'With 512 MB ram and a dual-core processor, the DROID BIONIC by Motorola allows you to experience the power of 4G with speeds much greater than found with typical 3G'.

I like my version much better.

Mine's 1up'd yours.

"'With 512 MB ram and a dual-core processor, the DROID BIONIC by Motorola allows you to experience the power of 4G-LTE with speeds much greater than found with typical 3G, and much greater than AT&T's/T-Mobile's fake "4G" networks.."

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Here's a speed test I just ran on Verizon LTE. I get this on average, consistantly with 2 bars.

In another thread I mentioned that when I go home, I get 4 full bars and it nearly doubles this.

1184929901.png

and another test,

1184938104.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome