droid bionic even though all new highend mots said to have webtop?

joncat84

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Motorola announced today that all future motorola high end smartphones will have webtop. Is this going to stop you from buying the bionic? I know its stopping me from buying the thunderbolt. I thought I read that web top needs at least a gig of ram to run. This means all high end smartphones after june will have a gig if made by motorola. Is a 3 to 6 month wait worth double the ram and webtop? What do you think?

Motorola: all our high-end smartphones will have Webtop from June onwards -- Engadget

teleclimber

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I am going to wait to see how things shake out with webtop. I want to see: prices for peripherals go down significantly, whether citrix is any good (affordable) for small businesses such as mine, and whether the performance in real world situations is good enough.

joncat84

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I am going to wait to see how things shake out with webtop. I want to see: prices for peripherals go down significantly, whether citrix is any good (affordable) for small businesses such as mine, and whether the performance in real world situations is good enough.

I think that the first few webtop devices won't be anything special because of reports of lag when having 3 or more tabs open and because of crazy pricing. But these beginning devices will set the stage for small business owners like yourself in the future. Isn't citrix suppose to be a lot of money? Do you know if they make a watered down version for small businesses?

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Motorola announced today that all future motorola high end smartphones will have webtop. Is this going to stop you from buying the bionic? I know its stopping me from buying the thunderbolt. I thought I read that web top needs at least a gig of ram to run. This means all high end smartphones after june will have a gig if made by motorola. Is a 3 to 6 month wait worth double the ram and webtop? What do you think?

Motorola: all our high-end smartphones will have Webtop from June onwards -- Engadget

I think you mean that Webtop is stopping you from buying the Moto Atrix...The Thunderbolt is a HTC phone and doesn't have Webtop.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I think you mean that Webtop is stopping you from buying the Moto Atrix...The Thunderbolt is a HTC phone and doesn't have Webtop.

Can't speak for OP, but I think he meant that it is stopping him from buying the TBolt with the thinking that future Moto phones will have the webtop and if he likes it, he may want to forgo getting the TBolt now and wait to get a Moto phone with webtop.

The webtop feature really doesn't effect my decision at all. I'm not interested in getting it, so whether a phone has it or not doesn't sway me either way. I'm still interested in the Bionic just as much after the announcement by Motorola.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The webtop sounds cool but the price of the dock is to much so unless prices drop and a tethering plan isn't required ill pass. Come-on who wants to pay 20 extra for tethering when my phone acts as the CPU, modem and memory for what Is essentially a shell

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I like the idea but there is no way I would pay a tethering fee, I might buy the dock for a couple hundred at most

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
The bionic will be getting it it just isn't ready to be shipped at the same time.

The bionic may only have 512 mb of RAM but it is dual channel ram, where as the Atrix is not dual channel, or so I have read.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i would have been really excited for this news, if not for how much the webtop dock costs on the atrix. $500 (i would buy off contract) and a tethering fee to boot? i would rather spend that money on a xoom.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Before anyone gets their hopes up, make sure to try it out. People who say the laptop dock is fast enough until you open a couple tabs must have much lower standards than I do ;)

Granted I've only been fooling with it for a day, but rather than enjoy using it, it feels like a chore because it's so slow and choppy.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't really see the need for the webtop right now. Yea it has Firefox but its still not a PC. Just turns your phone into a larger screen with Firefox added. I agree with this quote I copied from an article.
While the docked smartphone is definitely compelling, one of the major reasons to want to dock a single device and use it in multiple locations is if the content on that device is 1) large, 2) plentiful and 3) difficult to move around otherwise. I’m not sure smartphones today have enough content on them for this to inherently make sense. Maybe in the future as technology grows.

I'd rather just carry around a Xoom. It still wouldn't stop my decision on buying a Bionic though. I still plan on picking one up.

FluxTZ

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Won't keep me from getting the Bionic, especially since I just bought a Xoom as well.

I'm likening it to my decision to buy my LCD television last spring - I could have gone with an LED set but LCD had gotten pretty close to perfect and I wanted to wait and see how LED shook out before taking that sort of plunge.

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I won't be buying the Webtop with it either. I have a good laptop already that is a bout the same size and it can run Steam. The webtop would do nothing for me.

On the other hand my wife ditched her Netbook when she got her Droid X and loves it. I showed he ther webtop and he would love it since she uses her phone for pretty much all internet related things. (Facebook, Bills, Etc) so it is all what you plan on using your phone AND Webtop for.

A simple surfer who would just like a bigger screen and keyboard sometimes would use it more than a heavy internet user (and gamer).

I would suggest figuring out what you would be using it for and what would it be replacing in your life now before spending the money on it.

and gbhil has a good point with the fact that you might not even like how it runs. Your looking things up on your phone and your brain knows it is a phone and you accept certain lag and load times. Your looking at a laptop screen and you will be expecting certain speeds and quality which this may not deliver. Which can then just frustrate you later.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I think Motorola said its too late for the Bionic to get it (which hinted they are already shipping it [maybe its gonna be an Incredible\Droid X all over again with the Thunderbolt & the Bionic]) , I guess we will wait & see

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I think Motorola said its too late for the Bionic to get it (which hinted they are already shipping it [maybe its gonna be an Incredible\Droid X all over again with the Thunderbolt & the Bionic]) , I guess we will wait & see

Actually Moto said the Bionic would get Webtop, though it might come in an update.

Personally, I have a full, non crippled Linux laptop already and if I'm going to pay $500 on a dock, I expect a full version of the newest stable release of Ubuntu to launch when I plug it in, not an old, cut down version of it that goes into dependency hell when you try to install something...

jayheartxo

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
For me the webtop docking thing seems more like a novelty. I'm sure some people will find a use for it, but I would never be able to justify it. Half of the reason why I'm in love with all of these smartphones rocking the 4.3" screens is because I know that'll be enough space for me to enjoy stuff on the go.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Before anyone gets their hopes up, make sure to try it out. People who say the laptop dock is fast enough until you open a couple tabs must have much lower standards than I do ;)

Granted I've only been fooling with it for a day, but rather than enjoy using it, it feels like a chore because it's so slow and choppy.

I messed around with the Atrix and the Laptop dock. It was too slow and it is not a Laptop. In my opinion it is just a gimmick and really not needed...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis