Moto's Bionic is Dead?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Who cares if the Bionic is cancelled.. so we have to wait a little longer. I'm a patient man.

Since the earliest days of this phone's development various sources have leaked it was a problematic phone that it has had some issues that were severe. This news of cancellation, if true, shouldn't be a shock. There are just some things that just aren't meant to be put together.

I would far rather see Moto do what's right for the brand and give us a truly killer device than force it out into the wild where we'd spend more time wresting with it than just using it.

I like this view. I would also rather a delay and get a fine product on release. IMO, this is good news, wether it be a delay, or a new launch model. I am keeping my X this sumner as GB just got loaded, and I find it performing great, so a delay actually benefits my situation. My guess is "something" bionic is coming still. Scrap the blue prints, don't scrap a killer droid name!

NormanGC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
It would not surprise me if this was true.

If the phone is scrapped, it could be that it is scrapped by Verizon. The Thunderbolt, as much as it is a great phone, has one of the most pathetic batteries. Verizon has been plagued with a large number of returns for this phone. Costs to have products returned to you are higher than costs associated with the actual sale.

A company cannot survive with a 20%+ return.

mcbrett

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Patience is a nice virtue if we are talking about many things- but, not personal smart phones.

Many of us are using 2 year phones, and decided to wait months longer to hold out for a phone, the Bionic, that we thought would last a long time and endure future technology improvements by other phones. Every day we go on without a new phone is another day we increase the profits of Verizon without their 2 year subsidy we are accustomed to from a new phone, plus we also endure the 2 year old phone that by now usually is experiencing battery and OS issues- causing daily headaches.

So no, I am not patient for this- and I am pissed off if we are talking about unexpected delays or a full cancellation of the phone.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Patience is a nice virtue if we are talking about many things- but, not personal smart phones.

Many of us are using 2 year phones, and decided to wait months longer to hold out for a phone, the Bionic, that we thought would last a long time and endure future technology improvements by other phones. Every day we go on without a new phone is another day we increase the profits of Verizon without their 2 year subsidy we are accustomed to from a new phone, plus we also endure the 2 year old phone that by now usually is experiencing battery and OS issues- causing daily headaches.

So no, I am not patient for this- and I am pissed off if we are talking about unexpected delays or a full cancellation of the phone.

Yeah, I'm with you. I've been sitting on an upgrade since last August, and when I saw the Bionic at CES, I wanted to wait. To make matters worse though for me, should the Bionic be cancelled and the Targa take its place, I'd be even more pissed. I really don't like the Targa/DX form factor at all. Can't stand the hump. So, to wait this long and then to also have to choose another phone ... :mad:

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm with you. I've been sitting on an upgrade since last August, and when I saw the Bionic at CES, I wanted to wait. To make matters worse though for me, should the Bionic be cancelled and the Targa take its place, I'd be even more pissed. I really don't like the Targa/DX form factor at all. Can't stand the hump. So, to wait this long and then to also have to choose another phone ... :mad:

Feel the exact same way, everyone is saying how the Targa looks great, but i cant stand that hump, plus it looks plasticky. Well atleast it looks better than DX or DX2. Also with a possible Q3, that is a LONG wait on top of what i have already waited on.i was due for an upgrade May 2010, OVER a YEAR!! ANDDDDD im on a dumb phone.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Don't get my wrong - I can certainly empathize with you. I bought my Droid 1 on launch day and have grown a bit tired of waiting for it to do simple things. I would love to run live wallpapers and so on but the phone really doesn't have the horsepower to do it.

The thing is right now cell phones have been entering a phase of rapid evolution where today's dragster is tomorrow's doorstop in a blink of an eye. I've seen this happen a few times before in the computer industry. When things hit this kind of pace, it gets hard because we're stuck with our choice for 2 years (especially since VZW is killing 1yr plans).

In this regard, it helps to be patient and get the most we can when we do upgrade. I can understand if Moto fried a few of you with the cancellation, CK has been suggesting that Samsung phone. Another route is to source a used phone and get by with it...

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Man I've been sitting on an upgrade since August '10. If anyone should be complaining it should be me :)

I'LL wait until the end of the year to get a great handset if I have to. My Droid still works perfectly and my NEEDS are met. My WANTS on the other hand need to be fulfilled with a killer device that will remain relevant for 18 months : )

Lets see if Motorola can come up with something that can compare to the Galaxy SII.

Sent from my Droid

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Man I've been sitting on an upgrade since August '10. If anyone should be complaining it should be me :)

I'LL wait until the end of the year to get a great handset if I have to. My Droid still works perfectly and my NEEDS are met. My WANTS on the other hand need to be fulfilled with a killer device that will remain relevant for 18 months : )

Lets see if Motorola can come up with something that can compare to the Galaxy SII.

Sent from my Droid

May 2010 here, and im on a dummy phone

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
You know what I find funny!!! The Moto for this phone is "The End Of Waiting!!! And that all we have been doing is Waiting!!! :)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Do the humpty hump, everybody do the humpty hump...lol, the hump on the targa is so classy. Does everything need to be like an iphone? I could care less about a hump housing a good aperture, but no hardware buttons, and no light leaks...plz.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: It seems that the sources are split on the matter as some have pointed out that the DROID BIONIC will only be delayed due to battery and performance issues, which qualify as routine work rather than a show-stopper. We'll update you as soon as we have more information on this, but for the time being, it seems that there's still some chance for the BIONIC to make it to the shelves.

Motorola kills the Etna DROID BIONIC, with the Targa to replace it? - Phone Arena

DarkBeer

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Battery performance is certainly not what I would want to hear as being one of the issues. It is the primary reason I've waiting for the Bionic over the Thunderbolt.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc