Moto's Bionic is Dead?

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
There is a very good chance that Motorola is ditching Tegra 2 in favor of OMAP Dual core for this new Bionic.

Motorola to begin beta testing rugged Android tablet, steps up enterprise efforts -- Engadget

Xoom was using Tegra 2, now this new Tablet they releasing is using OMAP.
The original Bionic was using Tegra 2, now its very possible its going to use OMAP.

One would wonder why Motorola isnt using a faster Tegra 2 for their new device.

Overall i hear OMAP is better anyways, so this is good news.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
There is a very good chance that Motorola is ditching Tegra 2 in favor of OMAP Dual core for this new Bionic.

Motorola to begin beta testing rugged Android tablet, steps up enterprise efforts -- Engadget

Xoom was using Tegra 2, now this new Tablet they releasing is using OMAP.
The original Bionic was using Tegra 2, now its very possible its going to use OMAP.

One would wonder why Motorola isnt using a faster Tegra 2 for their new device.

Overall i hear OMAP is better anyways, so this is good news.

This would make some sense. I am yet to understand that if the issue is getting the Tegra 2 and LTE to behave nicely with each other (as has been rumored), why would the Targa be the solution if it too has the Tegra 2 and LTE? But, if Tegra 2 and LTE is indeed the issue, switching out the Tegra 2 with the OMAP may be a potential solution.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Dolfan the Targa was/is rumored to be running the TI OMAP. Just an fyi......

Sent from my Droid

Thanks. I thought I had seen that it too had the Tegra 2 chipset. But if it does have the OMAP chipset, then that does help solve any issue between the chipset and LTE. It'll be interesting to see how the XOOM is handled as far as upgrading to LTE.

BlueBiker

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
If they increase the memory to 1GB and added webtop just like the Atrix, here will be the break down:
android OS: 512 MB
webtop: 512 MB

WRONG. It is not split that way, the entire Atrix 1GB is available for Android and apps.

Now, if they added 1GB DDR2, that is liking having 512 MB DDR2, which is almost like having 1GB DDR in the phone.

WRONG. Even if you had infinitely fast RAM, it will not make up for insufficient RAM. Overcommitted applications will run dog slow (or not at all) no matter how fast the RAM is.

No offense intended, but please stop repeating misinformation.

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
WRONG. It is not split that way, the entire Atrix 1GB is available for Android and apps.

One of the videos that I watched said it was split like that. Don't know if it came from an attendee or the show person showing off the phone. I also read others have said the same thing about Atrix gig memory.

WRONG. Even if you had infinitely fast RAM, it will not make up for insufficient RAM. Overcommitted applications will run dog slow (or not at all) no matter how fast the RAM is.

No offense intended, but please stop repeating misinformation.

None taken, but like in the PC world, DDR3 is faster than DDR2 and so on. So if Ethna had 512 DDR2 memory it is faster than other phone's memory.

Last edited:

BlueBiker

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
One of the videos that I watched said it was split like that. Don't know if it came from an attendee or the show person showing off the phone. I also read others have said the same thing about Atrix gig memory.

I think they're all repeating the same legend, similar to the (wrong) idea that a dual-core needs twice as much RAM.

None taken, but like in the PC world, DDR3 is faster than DDR2 and so on. So if Ethna had 512 DDR2 memory it is faster than other phone's memory.

Well you're certainly right that LPDDR2 is faster than LPDDR1 -- it's currently about twice as fast and that's before they ramp up to quadrupling(!) the clock speed. I'm just pointing out that if you have 600MB-1GB worth of apps and services that you're trying to run at the same time, it'll run extremely poorly (if at all) on any 512MB phone. OTOH, if you just run a few small to medium sized apps, then it's true that having 1GB will be almost pointless and you'd be better off with smaller but faster RAM.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Agree johnly with the hard lines of the moto droid but then again I love the look of the original Hummer.

I love hard angles and an industrial look but unlike you I do NOT like the look of the iPhone. Its too pretty for my taste : )

Sent from my Droid
Original Hummer was great looking, and it had some nice chassis. I say, I like the look of the iPhone, but imagine that sexy minimal design with android frontin'? Then I would say humpty hump, or missionary style....its all good with android under the hood, ha ha! But until then, I am OK with the humpty hump....as long as hardware dominance prevails.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
CHECK THIS OUT

Credit goes to Preach for finding this but I'm wondering why this reseller is using the Targa codename on the same page as the Droid 3.

I've not heard any reference to the Targa being the codename for the Droid 3. As we all know the Targa has been rumored to be the "new" Bionic.

I'm not sure what to make of this but it's odd.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

allan1313

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
wnrussell FTW.

To all those upset with me and pm'ing me for spreading "bad rumors"....... :p

Don't shoot the messenger and all that suff :)

The original Bionic was delayed because it was having 4G LTE issues, but also because Motorola had another device with better specs that it decided to sample from.

I like that they took from the Targa. It should make the Bionic a better device. As long as the "sample" makes it a better device, I am all for it.

Now just get to work on it and get it out ASAP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci