Droid Bionic Not Released Before Tiered Data Plans!

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
This just Posted at Droid Life: Exclusive: Tiered Data Plans Headed to Verizon July 7, Packages Start at $30 for 2GB - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Well, we’ve just received word that tiers are scheduled to start the day after the promo ends (on the 7th) and will look something like this…

Data plans:

2GB – $30/month
5GB – $50/month
10GB – $80/month

If you would like to add tethering on to any of those packages, you can purchase 2GB of data at an additional cost of $20 per month.

Data plans w/ tethering:

4GB – $50/month
7GB – $70/month
12GB – $100/month

Who is going to wait around for the Bionic?
Is it worth Buying now and locking in with Unlimited?
Is 2 Gig's enough for an LTE phone like the Bionic?

Edit:
*Note 1 – We have also been told that this is for both 3G and 4G smartphones and that there are not separate plans depending on device. So if you are under contract currently, you should be fine and don’t need to run out and buy a 4G phone just to lock in as we’ve seen other sites seem to want to suggest.

*Note 2 - And I should probably clarify that these new prices should not affect anyone that is currently under contract. Major changes like this concern only new customers and possibly those that are up for a renewal. We have even heard mention of current customers being allowed to upgrade to a new device after July 7 though, and continue to keep their unlimited data, but are awaiting further clarification on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: orchidsbloom

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if those can be used on a family plan. That would actually cut my data price in half, as I have an Incredible and my wife has an iPhone. I've never used over 1gb a month, and she doesn't really even go over 250mb.

spectre1006

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
No me I just resigned and kept my og droid.... I added my gf and got a tbolt for her... repsare saying you will be grandfathered in if u have unlimited data

mike8519

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here Slinky. I use 2GB wife uses 500MB or so on our OG Droids. If this is the same for family I would save $10, but these prices are still terrible. I at least expected them to tie ATT and maybe bump up the data a bit.

matthew2109

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Already made the switch to the Bolt. There was no way Verizon was gonna release their next so called "flagship" phone before tiered data.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Here-in lies my only issue with tiered pricing. No tiered plans that cost *less* than the ?unlimited? plan we currently have.

If I could have gotten a 1GB $20 deal I would have been ok with this. I rarely use more than 600MB, with only a modest effort to switch to readily available wifi networks, but now I still have to pay as much for a lesser plan.

?And yes, I agree if the data is tiered, hotspot should be free?

-Suntan

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
You are about to witness the biggest exodus from a mobile provider in history. Hope none of you have any stocks in VZ. Since Bionic is no longer an option I need to look at what is left (Charge/Revolution/Xperia) and decide what I want to "Settle" for. OBTW both my wife and my contract ends 30th of this month luckily.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
You are about to witness the biggest exodus from a mobile provider in history. Hope none of you have any stocks in VZ. Since Bionic is no longer an option I need to look at what is left (Charge/Revolution/Xperia) and decide what I want to "Settle" for. OBTW both my wife and my contract ends 30th of this month luckily.

I doubt it. As much as this sucks, most regular users really don't use that much data... and if these buckets can be spread over family plans, then it will actually save some folks some money.

My only gripe with it is that if I'm paying for 2gb, I should be able to use that 2gb any way I want... whether that be through my phone or tethering. They shouldn't charge you $20 extra per month for tethering.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm fearful to ask.... ...but... ...what exactly is going to happen to your wife in 10 days?... :eek:

-Suntan
Ording my Charge tonight.

Ill stick around the forums. I want to see what becomes of this device, and Motos future.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
From Droid life tiered data plans...

*Note 2 - And I should probably clarify that these new prices should not affect anyone that is currently under contract. *Major*changes like this concern only new customers and possibly those that are up for a renewal. *We have even heard mention of current customers being allowed to upgrade to a new device after July 7 though,*and continue to keep their unlimited data, but are awaiting further clarification on that.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm fearful to ask.... ...but... ...what exactly is going to happen to your wife in 10 days?... :eek:

-Suntan

She will get a new cellphone to lock in her unlimited (98% sure it will be an Xperia) just like I will after our 2yr Contract is up with VZW. Nice try at humor btw but not a good day for it.

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I am at a loss here. I Average 1-2 Gig's a month on my OG Droid. However I am already paying $113 a month for 900 mins, Text and Web. Which is WAAAAY to much as far as I am concerned. So I am not sure what to do, I prefer verizons network but their cost is already ridiculous. T-Mo's truly unlimited plan for 79.99 Is looking mighty tempting, Sensation might be my next phone.

Read Note 2 of Droid Life's posting and give me your thoughts, do you think they will allow existing customers to upgrade and keep their unlimited plans? It doesn't seem likely to me, but possible.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I am at a loss here. I Average 1-2 Gig's a month on my OG Droid. However I am already paying $113 a month for 900 mins, Text and Web. Which is WAAAAY to much as far as I am concerned. So I am not sure what to do, I prefer verizons network but their cost is already ridiculous. T-Mo's truly unlimited plan for 79.99 Is looking mighty tempting, Sensation might be my next phone.

Read Note 2 of Droid Life's posting and give me your thoughts, do you think they will allow existing customers to upgrade and keep their unlimited plans? It doesn't seem likely to me, but possible.
Once you go 4G you probably will be spending mroe than 1-2gig a month

I really doubt existing unlimited owners will be able to upgrade in the future and still be grandfathered in.

However if you buy it off contract, you probably can. i think thats what they mean.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

At this point I have a hard time believing that they will honor the unlimiteds past July 7 with this pricing stunt they just pulled. Now if this is just for the singles and there is a different family share that is more reasonable then sure but its not looking promising.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Just to complicate matters, I wonder how my specific situation will be handled.

I'm on a family plan with 4 lines, two of which also have data. My wife just upgraded to a smartphone a month or so ago. So, her next update is not for 20 or so months. I've been sitting on an upgrade for almost a year. If I upgrade after tiered goes into effect, will I be limited to the tiered pricing and my wife get grandfathered in under her current plan? Or will I go to a family data plan, thereby forcing my wife to also change from "unlimited"?

Not really sure how all of this is going to play out.

testt

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Just to complicate matters, I wonder how my specific situation will be handled.

I'm on a family plan with 4 lines, two of which also have data. My wife just upgraded to a smartphone a month or so ago. So, her next update is not for 20 or so months. I've been sitting on an upgrade for almost a year. If I upgrade after tiered goes into effect, will I be limited to the tiered pricing and my wife get grandfathered in under her current plan? Or will I go to a family data plan, thereby forcing my wife to also change from "unlimited"?

Not really sure how all of this is going to play out.

For a fact, if you renew after tiered prices take effect, you will not have an option for unlimited data. My guess with a family data pack would be that you are agreeing to take all your phones under the the family pack contract, thereby allowing Verizon to alter your wife's unlimited contract early.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
For a fact, if you renew after tiered prices take effect, you will not have an option for unlimited data. My guess with a family data pack would be that you are agreeing to take all your phones under the the family pack contract, thereby allowing Verizon to alter your wife's unlimited contract early.
I too have an extremely strong feeling that upgrades after the 7th wont grandfather you in. Afterall why would they do that?

Off contract phone is highly likely though.