Can someone with extensive Verizon knowledge help me out?

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I am on a family plan with 5 lines

So i just upgraded my phone to the Droid Charge, hence my next upgrade is in Feb 2013.
I am the ONLY line with a data plan.

I see that you can transfer upgrades.

Does this mean that i can use for example my dads upgrade to upgrade MY PHONE again to the Bionic when it comes out?

He will never ever get data so it doesnt matter. He doesnt even know how to use a data phone. And if his phone breaks its easier to cheaper to replace a dummy phone.

So does that mean his dummy line will get a new 2 year contract, but i can upgrade my phone again?

If so can i then do it again on my moms line?

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but stop being so spoiled and greedy and let your parents get a new phone of their choosing.
holy crap this is such exciting news. I can upgrade my phone like 3-4 times in 2 years. OMFG.

My parents can barely use a remote control. And their dummy phone is still in great shape.

Also it wont add data to his plan right? If i upgrade using his line again, so i can get another smartphone?

hoppermi

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
holy crap this is such exciting news. I can upgrade my phone like 3-4 times in 2 years. OMFG.

My parents can barely use a remote control. And their dummy phone is still in great shape.

Also it wont add data to his plan right? If i upgrade using his line again, so i can get another smartphone?

I used my wifes upgrade for my charge. She has a dumb phone. It was no problem. You will need primary line privileges to upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I used my wifes upgrade for my charge. She has a dumb phone. It was no problem. You will need primary line privileges to upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
What do you mean i need primary line privelage to upgrade?

Do you mean only the primary line can steal the upgrade or do you mean only the person with account privileges can set it up?

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I cant contain myself right now, this is soo exciting. Im locked into Unlimited.

Ill get the Bionic when it comes out under my dads line. Itll probably be $300, then i sell my Droid Charge. Prolly also get $300 for it.

Good day indeed.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Sounds really cool if its true, as I've also still got my parents on my plan and they're happy with their dumphones. However, I would think that VZW would still make you pay for the data plan each time you upgrade, isn't it required to have a data package for 2 years when they sell you a smartphone with upgrade pricing?

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I thought so. So most likely, you would have to pick up a data plan each time you burn an upgrade, and keep it for 2 years, even if you're the only one who uses a smartphone. Considering your parents don't have smartphones, they would probably make you pick tiered plans for those upgrades, though you would keep your own unlimited package.

So I would imagine you would be looking at paying for the cheapest tiered data package for one of your parent's dumbphones for the next 2 years, in addition to your unlimited data plan, if you wanted to use an upgrade. I'm not sure about that, but I really doubt Verizon is gonna let you have a discounted smartphone without being able to make their money back on it. So whatever the cheapest tier turns out to be, multiplied by two years is likely what you'll have to pay for the ability to do this. So almost certainly it will be cheaper to just ebay the Charge and buy something else full price.

I could be wrong though, not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I just don't want you getting your heart set on a plan that likely won't work... :-X

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yea that im still not too sure on.

Thats mainly what i want clarification on.

If the other line will be required to get a data plan even if i take their upgrade.

Ill ask the verizon board.

CloeHokie help me out.

Last edited:

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Could be wrong, but I don't think you have to get an extra data plan. You're basically just transferring the upgrade to a different line. And I don't think it has anything to do with what phone you're getting.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Could be wrong, but I don't think you have to get an extra data plan. You're basically just transferring the upgrade to a different line. And I don't think it has anything to do with what phone you're getting.
i believe your right, but ill get more confirmation.

In essense this means i can upgrade my phone on average every 4 months.

Both my sisters dont care about this type of stuff, as long as they have a working dummy phone.
Both my parents dont even know English, and same as above.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
i believe your right, but ill get more confirmation.

In essense this means i can upgrade my phone on average every 4 months.

Both my sisters dont care about this type of stuff, as long as they have a working dummy phone.
Both my parents dont even know English, and same as above.

Yeah, that's the risk. You take one of their upgrades and they're stuck with their current phone for another 2-years (unless you get one at retail/Craigslist/eBay). If they're okay with it, have at it. Another reason why I hang on to a working dumb phone that I no longer use.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's the risk. You take one of their upgrades and they're stuck with their current phone for another 2-years (unless you get one at retail/Craigslist/eBay). If they're okay with it, have at it. Another reason why I hang on to a working dumb phone that I no longer use.
Also Verizon barely have dummy phones that are free anymore. Lot of them are in to 50-100 range. And i check for them on ebay, and they are about the same price. So why extend their contract if i cant save anything on their new phone anyways.

My parents phone have been working for a few years now, with no signs of breaking down. But im going to buy them a off contract dummy phone anyways, because its really not expensive.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So i confirmed with a store rep.

Yes i can steal the upgrade from another linw without it tacking data onto the other line.

I can keep doing this because i will never leave Verizon anyways, unless they start making changes that affect my account. In which case i wont bother anymore or they void the ETF.

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Go to the Verizon Website and login. You have the ability to transfer upgrades. I do it all the time. I have 4 active lines and one of them is always within 6 to 8 months of a upgrade. I have two lines upgradeable right now.

Since I pay the bill I get first dibbs on the new phones.
My kids and girlfriend get the hand-me-downs.
They don't care because my phones always look brand new.
I take hem out of their case and clean them a few times a week
I guess I am a little quirky like that. :D

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Go to the Verizon Website and login. You have the ability to transfer upgrades. I do it all the time. I have 4 active lines and one of them is always within 6 to 8 months of a upgrade. I have two lines upgradeable right now.

We pretty much on the same boat then. Im going to cycle through those upgrades like its out of style.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

your kids get smartphones too?

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
your kids get smartphones too?
Only because they are my hand-me downs.
Started a few years ago with blackberries now everyone has some version of an Android phone.

A quick question for you.
I saw you recently got the Charge. I have been going back in forth in my head between it and the TB for some time now and I almost pulled the trigger when the data tier announcement came out. May still have to if it turns out their are some strange loopholes in the grandfathering clause about 3G to 4G phones.
I love the pure hardware specs of the TB (awesome potential). Even enough to ignore the battery life problem.
It's all the other sporadic issues especially people having to try multiple phones before they get one that completely works.
On the other hand the charge seems to have the better battery life and the better revues. The screen is awesome when watching movies but it seems kind of cartoonish during other tasks. Also I hate the laucher reminds me of the I-Phone:mad:

Not knocking your choice but what finally sold you on the Charge?

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Only because they are my hand-me downs.
Started a few years ago with blackberries now everyone has some version of an Android phone.

A quick question for you.
I saw you recently got the Charge. I have been going back in forth in my head between it and the TB for some time now and I almost pulled the trigger when the data tier announcement came out. May still have to if it turns out their are some strange loopholes in the grandfathering clause about 3G to 4G phones.
I love the pure hardware specs of the TB (awesome potential). Even enough to ignore the battery life problem.
It's all the other sporadic issues especially people having to try multiple phones before they get one that completely works.
On the other hand the charge seems to have the better battery life and the better revues. The screen is awesome when watching movies but it seems kind of cartoonish during other tasks. Also I hate the laucher reminds me of the I-Phone:mad:

Not knocking your choice but what finally sold you on the Charge?
Reason why i choose Charge over TB:

Carries the Droid name, hence i expect verizon or whoeevr to give it attention (updates)
battery life is a huge plus, iif it were only a little better than its negligible, but i hear it ALOT better. Like last over a day long, but not quite 2.
While someone i know, told me her TB needs to be charged at Work, around 3pm.
Small plus, but i prefer the physcial button
And the screen. But these days all the screens looks good so it wasnt a game changer for me.

Why i would prefer the TB?
Well better build quality material.
Looks sleeker and nicer.
Charge is Plastically built when you look at it, but when you hold it it feels pretty well built.

Over the things i prefered on the Charge > that things i prefer on the TB.

Doesnt matter though since i found out i can cycle through 5 lines now. ill replace it soon.