3G Now, Will Get you Unlimited 4G after 7/7

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
For those of us worried about Locking into a "holder" 4G Device now just so we can keep 4G when the Bionic Comes out after Tiered Data Launches 7/7, It has been CONFIRMED that if you have Unlimited 3G Data Plan now and Upgrade Later, You WILL be locked in unlimited 4G. So there is no need to go out and buy a T-Bolt, Charge or Revo just to lock into 4G for the Bionic Release.

On our quest to try and provide you with as many different upgrade situations as possible that will allow you to keep your unlimited data plan after July 7, we may have another to add to the list. This is one of those that many of us sort of figured would be the case, but with rumors swirling about and no official mention in any of the pieces we’ve reported on, we weren’t 100% sure. Well, according to @VZWSupport (the official Verizon support account on Twitter), if you are currently locked into a 3G unlimited smartphone plan and will more-than-likely jump to a 4G phone after the July 7 tiers begin, you will still be able to keep your original data plan.
Verizon Support: 3G Customers Upgrading to 4G After July 7 Can Keep Unlimited Data - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
For those of us worried about Locking into a "holder" 4G Device now just so we can keep 4G when the Bionic Comes out after Tiered Data Launches 7/7, It has been CONFIRMED that if you have Unlimited 3G Data Plan now and Upgrade Later, You WILL be locked in unlimited 4G. So there is no need to go out and buy a T-Bolt, Charge or Revo just to lock into 4G for the Bionic Release.

Verizon Support: 3G Customers Upgrading to 4G After July 7 Can Keep Unlimited Data - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
Thats great and all.

In spite of all these tiered data crap, i realized its not so bad.

Based on my usage, ive determined that 2gigs is enough. Unlimited would be nice, but if anyone else is like me, they wont cap the 2gigs.

This includes Pandora, heavy webbrowsing, and app downloads, and widgets.

For big movie downloads and such, i always got home wifi.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thats great and all.

In spite of all these tiered data crap, i realized its not so bad.

Based on my usage, ive determined that 2gigs is enough. Unlimited would be nice, but if anyone else is like me, they wont cap the 2gigs.

This includes Pandora, heavy webbrowsing, and app downloads, and widgets.

For big movie downloads and such, i always got home wifi.

Yeah, but the thing is, for those of us that routinely come in under 2 GB, it’s a bit of a slap in the face that the new capped plan doesn’t offer *cheaper* monthly costs.

It’s no wonder that people are mad about capped plans when the *cheapest* option available for smartphone users costs as much as the existing “unlimited” option.

Don’t even get me started on the fact that I currently get a 20% discount on the unlimited plan but I wouldn’t get that on the new 2 GB plan. So even the cheapest new plan would end up being a cost increase…

-Suntan

Last edited:

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

First, I?ll say that for my money, it won?t be ?confirmed? until 7/8 rolls around and people report that they were able to get a Charge/Tbolt and keep their unlimited plan?

That said, if it does hold true, I wonder how long after the Bionic releases before they cancel this. If the notion of allowing for no cost ?upgrades? from unlimited 3G to unlimited 4G is just to give Moto a chance to get into the 4G crowd as many people have theorized, how long after the release of the Bionic before VZW shuts down the ?unlimited upgrade? deal?

Two weeks after release maybe?

In any case, at some point VZW is going to kill off people?s ability to ?upgrade? and still keep unlimited data, will the SGS II make the cut?

-Suntan

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but the thing is, for those of us that routinely come in under 2 GB, it’s a bit of a slap in the face that the new capped plan doesn’t offer *cheaper* monthly costs.

It’s no wonder that people are mad about capped plans when the *cheapest* option available for smartphone users costs as much as the existing “unlimited” option.

Don’t even get me started on the fact that I currently get a 20% discount on the unlimited plan but I wouldn’t get that on the new 2 GB plan. So even the cheapest new plan would end up being a cost increase…

-Suntan
This is true, 2gigs for $20 would definitely be better than unlimited for $30, for probably like 95% of the people out there.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
This is true, 2gigs for $20 would definitely be better than unlimited for $30, for probably like 95% of the people out there.

Yeah, and VZW knows that. Why give 95% of the people a $10 break? They?re betting that the average person walking into the store to renew their contract will hear about the new caps, ask the rep how much they currently use, hear that they will be fine without having to pay any more than they do today, then walk out the door with a fancy new phone and a smile on their face? ?and people only think iphone users are sheep?

-Suntan

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, and VZW knows that. Why give 95% of the people a $10 break? They?re betting that the average person walking into the store to renew their contract will hear about the new caps, ask the rep how much they currently use, hear that they will be fine without having to pay any more than they do today, then walk out the door with a fancy new phone and a smile on their face? ?and people only think iphone users are sheep?

-Suntan
even $25 for 2gig would be nice.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that they will start changing up to tiered pricing for existing customers when the new LTE iPhone is released next year.

Sent from my Droid

Fable

Android Rules
Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
My guess is that they will start changing up to tiered pricing for existing customers when the new LTE iPhone is released next year.

Sent from my Droid
The other thing is this will definately play on newer Smartphone users too.. take all the bloatware these phones are getting packaged with and give someone a netflix app and just watch them blow their 2GB out of the water. HBOGo and the like will really make this tougher on folks.

I agree with CK that next year they will start phasing folks off of it if they seem to retain enough of their business through this first hurdle.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
even $25 for 2gig would be nice.

Or even give the option to use a smartphone on just a calling plan, with no data add-on. Go ahead and increase the subsidized price by $50 even.

There are very few places where I use data on my smartphone and their isn?t already wifi available.

-Suntan

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Or even give the option to use a smartphone on just a calling plan, with no data add-on. Go ahead and increase the subsidized price by $50 even.

There are very few places where I use data on my smartphone and their isn?t already wifi available.

-Suntan
^This i want soooo badlyyyyyy.

I only use the data because its there, so i might as well. But man an option to use a smartphone without a data plan is sooo nice. I would pay off contrat price for that.

chiman2

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys this has been very helpful in my decisions. I have some questions about the best way to do this as I really want to get the bionic.

Right now I have no wireless plan with Verizon.

I was wondering if I could buy a used 3g smartphone and then activate that phone onto a plan with no contract. Then when the Droid Bionic comes out I would buy that with upgrade pricing and renew my plan with a 2 year agreement and live happily ever after. Is this something that I could do?

Cvballa3g0

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys this has been very helpful in my decisions. I have some questions about the best way to do this as I really want to get the bionic.

Right now I have no wireless plan with Verizon.

I was wondering if I could buy a used 3g smartphone and then activate that phone onto a plan with no contract. Then when the Droid Bionic comes out I would buy that with upgrade pricing and renew my plan with a 2 year agreement and live happily ever after. Is this something that I could do?
Yes, that's what I did. I bought a Droid for 20 bucks and have the Unlimited data locked in.

chiman2

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Great news! I knew testt was wrong, ha ha.
I wouldn't be so sure of Testt being wrong, although the Rep did directly reply to his question, he did not state going from 3g to 4g so like the original article says. Lets hope that the representative actually read the question and did not assume it was like all the other ones.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that's what I did. I bought a Droid for 20 bucks and have the Unlimited data locked in.

Before giving him that thumbs up, could you remark on his entire comments.

Namely, he's saying he ahs no VZW contract now, but expects to get a Bionic *with discount pricing* when it comes out.

Can you confirm that you can "get on" VZW with a no-contract month-to-month plan and still get 2 yr contract pricing on a Bionic (when it comes out?)

-Suntan

chiman2

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Namely, he's saying he ahs no VZW contract now, but expects to get a Bionic *with discount pricing* when it comes out.

Can you confirm that you can "get on" VZW with a no-contract month-to-month plan and still get 2 yr contract pricing on a Bionic (when it comes out?)

-Suntan

Yeah, that would be helpful. Because in your case it seems like you already had a verizon plan just not a smart phone. I have no plan currently.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

-Suntan

Im pretty sure you would have to be on a verizon plan. I mean since you have no plan no you wouldnt be grandfathered since you technically were never with verizon. ATleast thats what it seems. If i were you I would just sign a contract now to lock unlimited in and then buy the bionic full retail. Otherwise they may make you get a tiered plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad