After spending a couple of weeks reading about rooting, I decided that I was ready. Despite being as careful as possible, I still managed to hard brick my phone within a couple of hours before I could actually even accomplish anything I set out to do. Is there any way to undo this? Here are the steps I took to get to this point:

1) Attempted to root using GingerSnap using these directions. Nothing.

2) Attempted to root using Odin using these directions. Worked.

3) Tried to flash a custom ROM using these directions. The ROM I tried to use was EE4 Debloated.

---SOFT BRICK---

4) Searched Google for an answer. Found this thread.

5) Followed these directions using the full package.Got a fail message.

---HARD BRICK---

6) Tried step 5 again with the factory reset file. Got a fail message.

7) Followed these directions. Got a fail message.

Can anyone help me? I have followed the directions exactly every time, yet my phone still soft bricked, hard bricked, and will not recover. I just paid $250 for this phone two weeks ago. Is it already useless?
    07-07-2011 08:32 AM
    I can't figure anything out to do. Should I just run over it and claim a new one on insurance? I hate wasting $89 or whatever it is now, but this phone won't do anything. Rooting was one of the worst ideas I have had in a long time. I should have stayed away from this.
    07-07-2011 08:51 AM
    As long as you can get into download mode (hold volume down while powering up), you aren't finished. Unless you did something really bad, you should always be able to get to download mode.

Use this post and you should be able to recover to ED2. Then you can OTA to EE4.
    xRodo likes this.
    07-07-2011 08:58 AM
    As long as you can get into download mode (hold volume down while powering up), you aren't finished. Unless you did something really bad, you should always be able to get to download mode.

Use this post and you should be able to recover to ED2. Then you can OTA to EE4.
    I can get into download mode, but I can't find anything that will work on Odin. I am trying the post you referenced to me, now. This is the error I got when trying the other two methods on Odin:

<ID:0/003> Added!!
    <ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
    <ID:0/003> File analysis..
    <ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/003> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
    <ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/003> cache.rfs
    <ID:0/003>
    <ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
    07-07-2011 09:02 AM
    Odin can be PITA sometimes. If you are trying it with your battery in, try flashing it with the battery out. If it is out now, try it with it in. You can also try disconnecting the USB and reconnecting, as well as restarting Odin. I flashed CWM onto the EP1F leak this morning and had to do all three. Ultimately, battery in worked for me today.

If you can't get Odin to work for you, you can try the official Samsung PST utility. You can get it from here: http://r2doesinc.bitsurge.net/leaked/ , thanks to r2doesinc.
    07-07-2011 09:10 AM
    Odin can be PITA sometimes. If you are trying it with your battery in, try flashing it with the battery out. If it is out now, try it with it in. You can also try disconnecting the USB and reconnecting, as well as restarting Odin. I flashed CWM onto the EP1F leak this morning and had to do all three. Ultimately, battery in worked for me today.

If you can't get Odin to work for you, you can try the official Samsung PST utility. You can get it from here: Index of /leaked , thanks to r2doesinc.
    I tried PST, but I couldn't get it to work. I did, however, use the thread you showed me and everything is back to working again! Thanks so much!
    07-07-2011 09:27 AM
    I'm glad you got it working. Don't let this experience scare you off, a rooted phone can be very rewarding. Stick to Charge specific forums for your instructions for now. I would recommend taking a look at the latest Gingerbread leak. It has the modem, kernel, ROM, and CWM recovery all rolled into one and it is pre-rooted.
    07-07-2011 09:48 AM
    I personally use the gummycharged rom by kejar. The steps are a bit different but there is a how to root from ee4 thread here. I followed it verbatim and had no issues.

Don't lose confidence in rooting. The soft bricks along the way are well worth the results.
    07-07-2011 02:15 PM
    I'm glad you got it working. Don't let this experience scare you off, a rooted phone can be very rewarding. Stick to Charge specific forums for your instructions for now. I would recommend taking a look at the latest Gingerbread leak. It has the modem, kernel, ROM, and CWM recovery all rolled into one and it is pre-rooted.
    Keep in mind that the gb leak is very fresh. There are some froyo roms that are tried and true (altered beast and gummycharged for example), which may be better transition pts for noobs rooters. It was for me :-)

And although android central is the best, use other forums too to get more information on a specific rom, kernel, etc. More info the better.
    07-07-2011 02:17 PM
    Keep in mind that the gb leak is very fresh. There are some froyo roms that are tried and true (altered beast and gummycharged for example), which may be better transition pts for noobs rooters. It was for me :-)

And although android central is the best, use other forums too to get more information on a specific rom, kernel, etc. More info the better.
    Couldn't agree with you more. I only mentioned EP1F it for the simplicity of the install. I sometimes forget that not everyone likes to be on the bleeding edge.
    07-07-2011 02:48 PM
    The same thing happened to me last night. None of the full odins would work on my device. The altered beast one flashed perfectly and had my phone back up and running. I needed my phone back to stock and then used wynalazca's ed1 rooted and it worked. Took the ota and I lost root. Hopefully one of the 2 work for you as I went through the same thing with the same errors last night. Try the link below or if you want a rom try the altered beast odin. They both worked for me.

[ODIN] Stock Rooted ED1 (downgrade from ED2) [2011.05.18] - xda-developers
    07-07-2011 02:52 PM

I tried the EE4 Debloated. It has tons of positive feedback and was created and edited by who seem to be some of the more respected Android developers. I followed the instructions exactly every step I listed in my initial post.

edit: Also, I am not a fan of the Gummy Charged and Altered Beast looks. I like the original look better. I think I may just do the root and voodoo lag fix and leave it at that. I could tell a difference when I had the lag fix.
    07-07-2011 03:01 PM
    Got the Gingerbread going on it without any trouble. Nice.
    07-07-2011 04:22 PM
    I softbricked a few times myself but the community here is what brought it back from the dead. I tried the debloated EE4 as well but the UPS brown stock color theme wasn't for me. I have used both AB and gummy and I have had minor issues with both but it won't stop me from installing another ROM from a known developer.
    07-07-2011 04:47 PM
    The only time i have gotten that message is when my battery is too low. Also if you sit in download for more that a couple minutes before you start odin it will not write. Also try to go into download mode a different way. Pull battery, hold volume down, plug phone into computer while holding volume down. That will put you into download mode. I would also make sure you are using odin 1.3 i have had issues with other versions. And if you are using vista or seven make sure you run odin as administrator

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    07-07-2011 07:38 PM
    If that doesn't work use a full factory tar. Nothing debloated or rooted. P3droid supplies most of those. You can find them in the sticking section.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    07-07-2011 07:39 PM
    I think the bricking is the fun part. I was in the same boat since this is the first smartphone I've ever owned. The first couple of times were a scare, but I kept at it until I figured what and what not to do. After a couple days of playing around with it, I don't mind to throw any rom on it to take a look at it and see if it's better than the AB I'm using.
    07-08-2011 08:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD