Help change my mind..

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I really want to root my charge but am uneasy about doing so with odin cvm playing with kernels etc... I rooted my dx just fine when i had that using Rom manager but now i am nervous with all of the guides i have found.

Does anyone have a step by step guide that has a walk through and explanations.

At this point i want to root but am definitely hesitant.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I really want to root my charge but am uneasy about doing so with odin cvm playing with kernels etc... I rooted my dx just fine when i had that using Rom manager but now i am nervous with all of the guides i have found.

Does anyone have a step by step guide that has a walk through and explanations.

At this point i want to root but am definitely hesitant.

Any help would be appreciated.

The easiest way is to download the full gummy charged ODIN package, it roots your phone, roms it, installs the kernel, and recovery for you. All you have to do it download this file http://crackflashers.com/Kejar31/GummyCharged_GBE_1.8_Full_Odin.tar.md5.7z then you open ODIN, put your phone into download (pull the battery, hold up while plugged into USB, put battery back in when you're on the download screen, the Charge dies sometimes without it) and then choose PDA, choose the file above after you extract it, and push start. Once it's installed, it will boot up, power down into recovery, clear cache, dalvik, and you're good to go.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I second what cfox said, but if you do not want to go to a full blown new rom, I am pretty sure there is an debloated stock odin package floating around that does the same stuff...

I know, decisions decisions...

Tueyjr

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving my decision to root and rom. When I did it I really tried to break this thing. I bricked it twice, and shat myself the same number of times.

Then I jumped on these forums as well as xda and found all the "OMG WTF" forums and unbricked it. I'm now running gummy charged 1.9 with the black alien theme, and loving the speed.

I say go for it, just do your research...even the "how to unbrick your phone" pages. There are plenty of smart and responsive folks here to talk you off of a ledge if things go sideways.

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
So once I finish the initial odin process can I use rom manger like I did with my dx to flash the black alien theme?

IF not what are my next steps

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
So once I finish the initial odin process can I use rom manger like I did with my dx to flash the black alien theme?

IF not what are my next steps

No I do not believe that the Rom manager works with the Charge, someone can correct me if I am wrong. To flash Black alien, you would download it, put it on the SD card, then go into CWM and install the zip file from there. The Black alien thread should have the instructions

winnersmw

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I've read that you should never use ROM Manager on the Charge under any circumstance.

Also, I always recommend this thread to anyone who's wary of rooting/ROMing/kerneling. The OP breaks things down to a ridiculously simple level, and it's nearly impossible to mess it up. For the Black Alien Theme in particular, you'd move the files to your SD card and install using CWM, as the poster above me said. As always, following the procedure outlines in the ROM's thread : D