Hey ya'll!
    I curently am running GummyCharged 1.9.2 (I think) so obviouly I'm rooted. I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Wifi only version. I'd like to try my hand at tethering my Tab to my Charge, but I'm a litle confused. Hope someone doesn't mind helping me out.

I would like to tether using Bluetooth (I think...tell me if i just need to drop that idea and use my usb). I've downloaded one of the apps from the market called "WiFi Tethering" from Open Garden. it seemed to be highly rated...I don't know. I've set up the Open Garden app on my Charge, and paired my Tab to my Charge. It says it's working, but I still can't get any Wifi Access on my Tab.

Am i just totally missing the mark here? is there another app that you can suggest?

Thanks for any help ya'll could offer!

Bruce

EDIT: And FYI, i did check the Tab forums. No real help there either. i figured help shoudl be available here, since it's the phone that would be providing the access. Thanks again!
    08-30-2011 06:43 PM
    Bruce,

Are you pairing through bluetooth? If so, that's your problem. Go to network settings and connect to the wireless network name something like AndroidAP.

Steve in CT

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    brucedbr likes this.
    08-31-2011 07:19 PM
    Oh! Ok...let's see if I understand. So, launch the tethering app, and connect through it's wifi, not bluetooth? And that will allow the sharing of the phone's Internet?
    08-31-2011 07:46 PM
    That's right!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    brucedbr likes this.
    08-31-2011 07:47 PM
    COOL! I'll give it a try and let you know!! Appreciate it!
    08-31-2011 07:52 PM
    (sigh) I downloaded and ran both Open Garden Wifi Tether and Barnacle (separate times, of course, and only had one installed at a time). Both seemed to load great, but after running them on my charge, I went to my Tab to see if it could see it, and no...it didn't see the AP.

Could I be doing something wrong, or NOT doing somethng right on my Tab? It seems like it shoudl be pretty much ***** proof.
    08-31-2011 10:28 PM
    These apps broadcast as an adhoc network, not an Access Point. I don't think the tablets support adhoc connections, and because of that, they're not going to recognise the broadcasted network from your Charge.

I've never attempted connecting to the internet via bluetooth, but Open Garden does support it. Launch the app, hit the menu, and open up settings. Scroll down to Bluetooth and hit Use Blutetooth. Enable Discoverable mode ofc. Attempt connecting to it via bluetooth from your tablet? I don't know if tablets support internet connections via bluetooth, or the process.

Hope this helps!
    brucedbr likes this.
    08-31-2011 11:20 PM
    Thanks. I see others tethering their tablets to phones on the Tab Forums, but Im unclear at this point if they are using the stock app from the provider, or using somethign else. I'm trying to use something else, so I don't have to pay another $15 or so a month. I'll start asking for specifics over on that forum.

Appreciate the help!
    09-02-2011 05:57 AM
    Ad Hoc Networks are filter out by Google's Android Software because they claim it is unsafe. Apple allows connectivity to Adhoc Networks that is why the Ipad and Ipod Touches can connect.
    09-02-2011 04:29 PM
    I have the latest beta of Wireless Tether (from their Google code repository) on my Charge. It has Samsung specific configuration that allows creating an access point instead of ad-hoc. I tether my GTab 10.1 to it regularly; encrypted, no broadcast, access control. The only problem I have is that the wireless driver doesn't unload properly on exit.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    09-02-2011 08:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD