Can I flash any rom over the rooted gingerbread leak?

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
If so what do you recommend? Is there anything that comes with the radio kernel and all that stuff wrapped into one?

When I used to root with my dx it seemed simpler?

I saw some sweet alien theme... What is voodoo compared to gummycharged, which I tried and didn't like....
Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Last I heard, you cannot. You have to odin back to ED2 and then do the OTA's to EE4 before you can flash any Froyo ROMs. If you want to go to a different GB rom, and you are on the stock leak, then you can just flash over it.

AFAIK, most of the custom roms come with kernel and radios. The question is do you really want to keep the ones that want to come with the ROMs. For instance, the GB Radios are better than the ones that come with most of the Froyo ROMs so I am running GC 2.0 with the GB radios.

Voodoo and GummyCharged (or any other ROM) are two different animals. Voodoo deals with sound and video (and file system) in the kernel. A ROM is the GUI on top of the OS. You will see significant gains with a voodoo kernel on any ROM.

You say you didnt like GummyCharged, but it is one of the best froyo roms out there. The theme that you saw is called Black Alien by GunnerMike (one of the best themers out there) and it is available on GummyCharged though the GC toolbox.

I assume on the DX you had something like one click root. It isnt quite that simple here on the Charge, but it is easy enough. I would start reading here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/dr...4-root-any-build-w-voodoo-lagfix-updated.html

Reactions: jbomb11

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Correct I manually rooted as well but this seems like a whole different beast. I love this phone but its getting boring.

Will the link you sent allow me a walk through to get gummy charged to black alien?

Sorry to be a pain just to learn without experiencing bootloops and bricks.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I am looking at all of these terms... Can anyone help?

Install:
make sure you have root and Clockwork recovery installed
-boot into recovery via Recovery
-select "wipe data/factory reset"
-select "Yes -- delete all data"
-go back
-select "install zip from sdcard"
-select "choose zip from sdcard"
-find and select GummyChargedXX.zip
-reboot

Install Themes:
-boot into recovery via Recovery
-select "install zip from sdcard"
-select "choose zip from sdcard"
-find and select GummyXthemeX.zip
-reboot

Accessing the Toolbox:
-Open Term
-Type "su" (give root permissions if asked)
-Type "gummytoolbox"

Update Toolbox:
-Open Term
-Type "su" (give root permissions if asked)
-Type "updatetb"

I am back to stock ee4 and would like to install gummy charged then theme.

Do I odin gummy charged or drop on zip then install?

What buttom combos get me to recovery? So that I can wipe cache dalvik etc...

Just need a quick bit of step by step guidance...

Thanks... (pizzadude) cough cough :)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
ok so you are on stock now. The easiest waload and place the y i know is to odin 1.91 from here:[ROM][EE4][ODIN]+[CWM] GummyCharge FE 1.9.1 07/21/11 - xda-developers

boot into the the OS completely. It will take a bit because this is where you are going to make the conversion to voodoo.

once you get in there download gummy 2.0 and place it on the SD card. reboot into recovery and flash that zip file you just placed on the card. then go ahead and fire it up and go into the OS

then we are going to you post above. Not sure if there is an update for the toolbox, but go ahead and give it a go. Then go into the toolbox and install the theme.

At the end of this, you will be on 2.0, rooted, have CWM, and Black Alien installed. Should take maybe an hour, if that.

As said a 1000 times. When you pull the battery to go into download mode, put the battery back in before you try to flash the ROM. 9 times out of 10 it will fail if you don't

dwitherell

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
You could also check out this guide - this link should take you directly to the post describing how to flash GC FE 2, and in the post that follows that you can find a little bit of info on how to use the toolbox to install the theme you want. Hope this helps!

dwitherell

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
My terms are lacking
OS?
This means the operating system (in this case the Android version, which is Froyo), so essentially all ot means in this case is to turn on the phone as you normally would, but make sure to let it fully turn on.
reboot and flash?
Reboot into CWM/recovery - there are a number of ways to do this, but if you are coming from an ODINed GC FE 1.9.1 ROM then (while the phone is on) you can press and hold the power button to get an augmented list of options - one of which is termed Recovery, so pick that one. Flash just means that, once in recovery, you need to install the GC FE 2.0 zip. Flash is synonymous with install in this sense.
how do you go into the toolbox?
Once fully in GC FE 2, open the terminal emulator app. Type:
su
You may want to update the toolbox first, so type:
updatetb
and follow the prompts/choose to update.
After you exit out of that (but are still in the terminal emulator app), type:
gummytoolbox
That should open up the toolbox for you. From there you can make choices to select your desired theme (among other things).

Again, I would recommend checking out this thread as it at least has a number of links to info that seem like you would find useful. Hope this helps!

dwitherell

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I was trying this and now I have phone symbol with and exclamtion point to a computer?
Hmm... sounds like a soft brick. Out of curiosity, what was the particular "this" that you were trying when this happened?
Are you still able to get into Download mode? If so, I would try to ODIN back to stock EE4 (or one of the EDs and OTA to EE4) - the thread I referenced before - in particular this post - has links to all the files you need for that.

Reactions: jbomb11

dwitherell

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I cant get into download mode. All I was doing was trying to get into that and flash gummy charged 191
Hmm... so all you were trying to do was get into download mode - you didn't do anything else (like with ODIN for example)? How were you trying to get into download mode?