im about to root my phone. this phone is slow as hell just straight out of the box.

after reading many guides for dummies , it seems the only thing holding me back is the terms used.

you guys use words that confused people ROM...FLASH...ODIN....KERNEL ETC

root from my understanding is just gaining exclusive access to your phone. basically gaining administrative rights i got that covered.

what is a ROM?
    what is to FLASH?
    WHAT IS A KERNEL? and do i need a kernel ?
    is ODIN the PC program used similar to BB desktop manager when upgrading BB OS.

what is CWM? and what is its purpose?

sorry for all these questions BUT A GLOSSARY IS REALLY NEEDED. i think thats what holding alot of people from rotoing.
    09-29-2011 09:23 PM
    what is a ROM?
    A ROM is basically the Android OS customized to our phone. it is the software behind the hardware

what is to FLASH?

Flashing is how we put the ROM on the phone

WHAT IS A KERNEL? and do i need a kernel ?

The Kernel is the little piece of software that gives all the orders to all the other pieces of software on your phone. It is responsible for all the function of your phone and keep everything in line. look at it as an organizer. You hit the phone button, the kernel realizes that was pushed and tells the dialer.apk to put the keypad up. Yes you need one, most roms come with one and you can swicth them out by flashing a different one

is ODIN the PC program used similar to BB desktop manager when upgrading BB OS.

ODIN is like BB manager in the sense that you can flash upgrades and ROMs with it. it is a simple program but remember, whenever you flash anything, use the PDA button not the PHONE button

what is CWM? and what is its purpose?

CWM is like ODIN for your phone. You can flash ROMS and Themes with it but do a bit more. You can wipe data (if there is a corruption) reset some things and backup your phone before you flash a ROM so that if the flash fails the first time or hate the theme or ROM, you can go right back to where you were
    Jhett, jaketwich16 and Oakashthorn like this.
    09-29-2011 10:12 PM
    BTW: There is a dictionary. Check the stickies in this section: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/
    09-29-2011 10:13 PM
    piizzadude gave a great response . I was ready to chime in but he gave some of the best rooting 101 for terminology you can ask for. I remember when I first got my android (only a couple months ago) and I was terrified to break the most beautiful thing I've owned, but took the plunge using the How to Root EE4 thread and was done in 20 mins. Granted I've done major tinkering and tweaking since that day, but after a while it becomes very natural.

My best word of advice. Look for answers. If you're unsure, ask questions. Reading a thread of rooting can be very intimidating, but as long as you are meticulous and can carefully follow instructions, you will understand the beauty and power of the root world. Good luck and welcome!
    09-30-2011 02:12 AM
    This was written by Sheepdog Elite for the Fascinate, but the terms are all the same as the Charge is almost like a bigger Fascinate on 4G:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...3-17-11-a.html
    10-01-2011 02:40 PM
    forgot all about that one....
    10-01-2011 03:35 PM
    forgot all about that one....
    Rainman memory. Plus we're all a team here working together. Reminds me I haven't talked to him in a while, need to reach out.
    10-01-2011 04:19 PM
    Yeah I havent seen much of you guys since I do not hang out in the fassy forums anymore...
    10-01-2011 05:17 PM
    Yeah I havent seen much of you guys since I do not hang out in the fassy forums anymore...
    I'm splitting my time between the Fassy and the Charge since I have both right now. Sometimes it's tough to keep up. I see you've done a great job picking up a lot of the slack here in the Charge forum. Thanks for all your help.
    10-01-2011 06:44 PM
    Hey it is all thanks to what you guys taught me over there. There really isnt much over here outside the usual. I expect that will change with GB.

Thank you for all you do around here.
    Landshark likes this.
    10-01-2011 10:26 PM
    so i took the plunge and rooted.
    i installed thiss>>CI510_VZW_EP1W_ALL_ONE-LTE-CP_REV3_user_CL485836_ship_rooted.tar

which is the latest gingerbread bloated rooted leak.

everything went smooth. is there anyway i can replace the battery indicator ontop and put a percentage instead. i dont want an app or widget .. i just want to replace without losing screen real state.
    10-02-2011 01:18 AM
    how far do you want to go with it? The only way I know to do it with UOT (a theme kitchen) but I havent looked at it with the GB leak. Do a search on XDA for UOT for more info
    10-02-2011 01:23 AM
    Cool thanks

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    10-02-2011 11:39 PM
    Do i need to flash the new modem/radio or is it included already?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    10-03-2011 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD