TB to Charge - Learning Curve

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I was just tired of the TB issues so VZW switched me out with a Charge that arrived yesterday. I read enough to flash the EP1W ROM using Odin and now have a rooted 2.3.4 rom running on this phone.

Now that's where it ends. I would like to run a custom rom that is fairly plain and STABLE and where the phone basics are working well.

I've read about Voodoo and have gone to its website but it really says nothing about running on the Charge or with GB and doesn't seem to have been updated in a long, long time. Is there a GB custom rom that has voodoo included? Is it really necessary to have it?

I do have CWM running but don't even know how to get to it on the Charge. On the TB it was simply vol. down + power and that took me where I needed to go. I don't know how to bring it up on the Charge.

Part of me hates this new learning curve, and part of me is enjoying it. Hopefully, in a few more days, the enjoying part is a lot more in control than the hating part!

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the Charge!

I would like to add my voice to the request to know what is the most STABLE Gingerbread rom for the Charge??

I had a supposedly stable froyo rom on the Fascinate that worked great for one month, then entered force close loop of hell. Sorry, I don't have time to flash roms all the time.

VooDoo is a peculiar term for the EXT4 file system, which, when a phone is converted to this format, will seem faster. Hence why it is also called, "lagfix".

Best gingerbread voodoo rom, anyone? Please don't recommend one that you installed last night and has "worked great so far!" :-/

Droid Charge - Tapatalk

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The two main GB roms everyone is running right now are GummyCharged GBE and Infinity ROM. Infinity has two versions, the regular which has all touchwiz apps,and the RAW version which has some AOSP apps switched in. GummyCharged includes imoseyon's kernel which includes ext4 and voodoo support. Infinity includes imnuts' kernel which includes ext4 support. GummyCharged was having some issues that they believe were attributed to the included themes. They may have found a solution and are planning on re-releasing the ROM possibly tomorrow with the toolbox and themes. There is a GummyCharged thread here at Android Central started by the themer for TeamGummyCharged, gunnermike53. You can find the Infinity ROM thread here:

Teamsbrissenmod [charge]

Also to enter CWM on the Charge, you hold the volume up, power, and home buttons until you see the samsung logo flash for the second time. Release all three buttons immediately as soon as you see the Samsung logo flash for the second time. You load CWM onto your phone through a utility called ODIN. You can download a version of CWM in the OP of the GummyCharged thread. Here is the ODIN application you download on your computer:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=581913&d=1304094576

After you download it onto your computer, go into the download folder, right click on the file and extract the file in order to get the actual ODIN application. For instructions on how to use ODIN to flash files onto your phone, click the hyperlink in my signature below. It is for the Fascinate, but all the same concepts and instructions apply.

Last edited:

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Landshark, thanks for all the info. I used Odin to push EP1W to the phone and also to get CWM loaded. Was a b**tch to get the phone into download mode. I downloaded the Infinity rom and used CWM to flash it. Once I got into CWM I was presented with a completely familiar screen and my comfort level shot up to 100. I now have infinity running and its working well.

One thing I have noticed on the Charge is that the wifi radio is nowhere near as strong as the TB. We are remodeling our bedroom right now and so we are sleeping in our RV, so each night we trot out there for bed. When I fire up my Asus Transformer in the RV it gets the wifi signal from the house just fine, my old TB also had no problem. However, with the Charge, I barely get a signal on the phone (and sometimes I get no signal). That is VERY disturbing.

Is the wifi radio an issue in this phone or do I just have a problem phone? I've only had it two days and will be glad to return it if necessary, although I've read that unrooting this phone can be a major problem

gattaka451

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with my wifi picking up from roughly 75 feet away, which is the max at my house. I'm sure the tin roof doesn't help much for the signal. And as far as unrooting it, easy as can be. There are stock images you can flash through ODIN. You can download them from here or rootzwiki.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Racedog, Which version of the Infinity Rom did you go with? I'm assuming the regular Touchwiz version, unless you did the RAW version. Will be curious to hear how that works out for you!

I have noticed that the wifi strength isn't great compared to my laptop, but I figured that was like comparing apples to oranges.

Droid Charge - Tapatalk

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Racedog, Which version of the Infinity Rom did you go with? I'm assuming the regular Touchwiz version, unless you did the RAW version. Will be curious to hear how that works out for you!

I have noticed that the wifi strength isn't great compared to my laptop, but I figured that was like comparing apples to oranges.

Droid Charge - Tapatalk

I used imnuts version which I guess has touchwiz. I am using it with launcher pro. I'm liking it fine except for the exceptionally weak wifi radio. I'm so new with the phone that I'm not sure if it might be fixed with an updated or different radio. When I flashed EP1W it was supposed to have been the debloated full version so I'm assuming that it flashed the radios also.

The wifi issue is a big deal for me, my TB had no problem getting signal in our RV when parked in front of our house, my Transformer has no problem with signal so I'm hoping that someone is able to give some insight into doing something about this.

hillview

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
The words Samsung and Stable Rom don't mix well together. Im on my 4th charge in 2 weeks!!!!!! Hate to say it but my ipod has not given me one problem in 3 years. I might be going to the slow but steady iphone! Verizon is offering me the thunderbolt or the revolution as of right now. Decisions decisions.

gattaka451

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't go for either one on the swap. I've read people getting swapped for the Bionic. Why would you take the TB or Rev? I know the screen is bad, but when I take my glasses off I can't tell the difference!