Hi All,

Awhile back I installed with these great instructions, I was able to root my phone and install a new kernel (PeanutButta Jelly Time with Voodoo using ODIN):
    "[How to] Get a rooted version of EE4"

I recently stopped short of installing a ROM due to a few concerns.

My questions are:

1. If I were to install a ROM such as GummCHARGED, would that wipe out all my current data?
    2. If it does wipe out all the data, is there a way to back up and restore the data back on my phone? I currently use Titanium Backup
    3. What is the point of a ROM other than certain themes or features, speed??
    4. If I were to install a ROM now, would I need to revert back to factory then start over?
    5. If I installed a ROM already, how would I go about installing another ROM? Would I have to go from ROM1 to Factory to ROM2?

Lastly,
    6. Recently my phone has been acting slow and freezing for a few moments. (no ROMs installed just kernel and rooted phone). Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks for the help
    11-12-2011 12:28 PM
    Hi All,

Awhile back I installed with these great instructions, I was able to root my phone and install a new kernel (PeanutButta Jelly Time with Voodoo using ODIN):

My questions are:

1. If I were to install a ROM such as GummCHARGED, would that wipe out all my current data?
    2. If it does wipe out all the data, is there a way to back up and restore the data back on my phone? I currently use Titanium Backup
    4. If I were to install a ROM now, would I need to revert back to factory then start over?
    5. If I installed a ROM already, how would I go about installing another ROM? Would I have to go from ROM1 to Factory to ROM2?

Lastly,
    6. Recently my phone has been acting slow and freezing for a few moments. (no ROMs installed just kernel and rooted phone). Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks for the help
    When installing a new ROM you have to wipe your current data be sure to have it backed up via google sync, titanium backup, etc.

Only restore user data not system data. Exceptions would be the ones labeled in green but i would still be cautious.

Custom ROMs offer different themes, removed bebloated apps, sometimes uses less battery than stock ROMs, better speeds, and a smoother experience IMO.

If you are stock right now just be sure to have clockworkmod recovery imnuts has the latest one. You can go from ROM to ROM just be sure to wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache.

If you are going from 2.2 to 2.3 OS in CWM its fine too but you cant go from like a EP4 ROM down to EE4 ROM. You would have to start from the beginning using the ODIN flashing tool.

The lag and freezing is probably from all that bloatware on your current stock ROM or a rogue app(s) sucking up all your RAM.
    11-12-2011 05:56 PM
    Does anyone know how to fix low internal memory error? After updating to gingerbread on my epic 4g, I have no more internal memory. I think maybe its a bug or old install files were not removed properly after update to gingerbread. Just to get the error to go away, I deleted two of my favorite programs I've had for months.

Any suggestions?
    11-12-2011 06:25 PM
    Does anyone know how to fix low internal memory error? After updating to gingerbread on my epic 4g, I have no more internal memory. I think maybe its a bug or old install files were not removed properly after update to gingerbread. Just to get the error to go away, I deleted two of my favorite programs I've had for months.

Any suggestions?
    i would try reflashing gingerbread or maybe you have a rogue app sucking all your RAM, if that doesnt help check out zeppelin's V6 supercharger memory tweaks
    11-12-2011 07:59 PM
    Hi All,

My questions are:

Lastly,

Thanks for the help

All really great questions that I see over and over. I have tried to answer all these through my videos and blog posts. First ROMing is a great way to improve performance, but it comes with tradeoffs such as lacking HDMI or some other piece in certain cases. I have been running ROMs for a long while now and have not looked back.
    ROMing will generally be a whole new operating system just like loading one onto your computer. Think of it is a clean install. This means that your phone goes blank and then comes back new again. So yes, you will need to backup. Plan on getting your apps, contacts, and text back. But you risk a lot trying to load your data and settings. I suggest you do not as this can cause major glitches in your new ROM.

Here is a link to my channel. Look for rooting, ROMing, and backuping up vids.

kraisydave's Channel - YouTube

And my blog with all the info on your questions in more detail.

Android, Tech, HDR Photos

Let me know if you need more help.

kraisydave

Everyone deserves to get the most out of their phone!
    11-16-2011 03:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD