Alright, Ive been contemplating flashing/rooting my phone for a while and with the latest 2.3.6 release I wanted to try and go for it. That being said, I have read a few posts and I keep getting more and more lost. I havent rooted this phone yet, so I'm completely stock.

I was hoping someone could help me with the simplest way to get my phone to 2.3.6.

I have all my drivers installed, I have Odin installed and the TBH bloat/rooted release downloaded, and 0817_charge_recovery.tar.md5 downloaded as well. I need some guidance to get everything going smoothly if at all possible. I want to de bloat myself after I am up and running but not much more than that. Hope I dont get flamed for asking but I think it would help me/and other noobs as well.

Also, I am not currently rooted and I need a way to backup everything before I lose it.
    11-22-2011 07:14 PM
    I second it.

Thanks for the help in advance
    11-22-2011 09:17 PM
    Alright, Ive been contemplating flashing/rooting my phone for a while and with the latest 2.3.6 release I wanted to try and go for it. That being said, I have read a few posts and I keep getting more and more lost. I havent rooted this phone yet, so I'm completely stock.

I was hoping someone could help me with the simplest way to get my phone to 2.3.6.

I have all my drivers installed, I have Odin installed and the TBH bloat/rooted release downloaded, and 0817_charge_recovery.tar.md5 downloaded as well. I need some guidance to get everything going smoothly if at all possible. I want to de bloat myself after I am up and running but not much more than that. Hope I dont get flamed for asking but I think it would help me/and other noobs as well.

Also, I am not currently rooted and I need a way to backup everything before I lose it.

I just followed the steps in this post: http://forums.androidcentral.com/dro...tml#post999590

Since you already have the ROM downlaoded and drivers installed you can skip a few steps. It should only take you a few minutes! Kraisydave also has some helpful videos out there that you can find in this forum. Once you are rooted and before you flash the ROM and wipe everything, boot up the phone and download Titanium Backup. Back everything up, then contine with the steps for flashing the ROM, etc.
    11-23-2011 07:57 AM
    11-23-2011 08:24 AM
    Thanks guys. I ended up going for it last night (and it was about as easy as everyone said). My biggest issue was I wasnt sure if I could boot up after the CWM installed and be rooted to do the Titanium Backup. I ended up backing up a few things I needed and just wiped it. Everything went smooth and im running 2.3.6 nice and fast now. Very pleased that I upgraded instead of staying stock.

My only question now is what does everyone use to uninstall the Verizon bloatware. Thats the only thing I have left.
    11-23-2011 09:22 AM
    I either freeze it with Titanium Backup or use a ROM that already has it removed
    11-23-2011 10:34 AM
    Thanks guys. I ended up going for it last night (and it was about as easy as everyone said). My biggest issue was I wasnt sure if I could boot up after the CWM installed and be rooted to do the Titanium Backup. I ended up backing up a few things I needed and just wiped it. Everything went smooth and im running 2.3.6 nice and fast now. Very pleased that I upgraded instead of staying stock.

My only question now is what does everyone use to uninstall the Verizon bloatware. Thats the only thing I have left.
    As Anderain said, you can freeze it or use a ROM that already has it removed. To expand on that the reason for the freeze is that you really cannot erase or delete Verizon apps in the traditional way short of going in the code. Freezing is not bad, but I prefer to use ROMs who had some devs who were nice enough to remove the apps for us all.

Dave
    11-23-2011 03:31 PM
    I figured a custom ROM was what I needed. I went with the stock rooted since I read some complaints on the debloated version.
    11-23-2011 06:20 PM
    I figured a custom ROM was what I needed. I went with the stock rooted since I read some complaints on the debloated version.
    Running the stock debloated deodexed Rom with ICS theme. No problems.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    11-23-2011 08:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD