04-05-2012 10:03 AM
36 12
tools
    I received the ota today.Have never rooted before.Is it possible to just gain root without flashing roms etc?I basically want to freeze a few apps and wifi tether.Thanks to anyone willing to help a new guy!
    11-30-2011 08:29 PM
    Sounds just like what I want to do. The answer is yes....we don't have to rom...just a few steps to root though. Not as easy as when I had my droid x...that was a one click app...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    11-30-2011 08:33 PM
    Appreciate the response.Are these steps detailed anywhere I could read them?
    11-30-2011 08:36 PM
    Download these two files onto your computer:
    CWM - CWM_Recovery4008.tar
    Superuser - Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip

Place the superuser file on your sd card. Turn off phone. Open ODIN, put phone in download mode by holding volume down button and connecting to pc with usb cable. Uncheck the auto-reboot box in ODIN. ODIN should recognize you phone and you should see a yellow com port show up in ODIN. Click the PDA button and choose the CWM file. Click start. When it finishes, unplug the usb cord, do not turn on your phone. Boot directly to recovery by holding the volume up, home, and power buttons then let go of all three the instant you see the samsung logo flash on the screen for the second time. Scroll to install zip from sd card with volume buttons, hit power button, choose zip from sd card should be highlighted, hit the power button, scroll to the superuser zip file, power button, scroll to yes, power button. When it finishes installing, hit the back button until you are back at the main CWM screen where reboot system now will be highlighted, hit the power button. Done, rooted.
    seeker_7, Jxshua, cg101 and 10 others like this.
    12-01-2011 12:14 AM

Place the superuser file on your sd card. Turn off phone. Open ODIN, put phone in download mode by holding volume down button and connecting to pc with usb cable. Uncheck the auto-reboot box in ODIN. ODIN should recognize you phone and you should see a yellow com port show up in ODIN. Click the PDA button and choose the CWM file. Click start. When it finishes, unplug the usb cord, do not turn on your phone. Boot directly to recovery by holding the volume up, home, and power buttons then let go of all three the instant you see the samsung logo flash on the screen for the second time. Scroll to install zip from sd card with volume buttons, hit power button, choose zip from sd card should be highlighted, hit the power button, scroll to the superuser zip file, power button, scroll to yes, power button. When it finishes installing, hit the back button until you are back at the main CWM screen where reboot system now will be highlighted, hit the power button. Done, rooted.
    Btw, I just did this and it worked flawlessly and efffortlessly...THX again your Landsharkness!
    12-01-2011 08:32 AM
    Thank you very much.worked perfectly.thanks again
    12-01-2011 01:10 PM
    Haven't tried it yet, but this is just want I want to do to my GFs phone.

A rooted phone is a happy phone.
    12-02-2011 02:07 PM
    Are there ROMs available for GB?
    12-04-2011 06:36 AM
    just to make sure... this will work after the new OTA update?
    12-04-2011 11:02 AM
    I updated OTA yesterday morning, rooted yesterday afternoon. Worked fine for me following these directions, with any luck you'll have the same results.
    12-04-2011 12:58 PM
    12-04-2011 01:28 PM
    do you have to extract the cWM file before using??
    12-04-2011 01:32 PM

First, thanks for the great instructions. I'm not new to this, but it always helps.

Had a strange thing happen. I did everything as instructed and have root. When I booted back to recovery, it was back at the stock recovery again. I re-flashed CWM using Odin, again, and was able to get back into CWM the first time. After another reboot, I was back at stock recovery again.

Any thoughts?
    12-04-2011 04:42 PM
    If you want CWM to stay after reboot you need a custom kernel.

12-05-2011 03:50 AM
    If you want CWM to stay after reboot you need a custom kernel.

How do we go about installing a custom kernel? Or isn't there one for the OTA yet?
    12-05-2011 07:31 AM
    Is there an easy why to unroot your phone for warranty purposes when using this method?
    12-06-2011 08:07 PM
    Where can I get ODIN?
    12-06-2011 09:24 PM
    Is ODIN the same app that's in the Market?

https://market.android.com/details?i...VvZGluLnBybyJd

Edit: Because according to the list, I don't see the Samsung Charge on it.

Edit: Nevermind, I think I found what I need.

http://www.chargeforums.com/forum/dr...id-charge.html
    12-07-2011 06:59 PM

So when I did this it flashed version 2.1 something when the new OTA update is 2.3.6. And then I got the pop-up saying a system update was available.

What I'm looking to do is take the OTA 2.3.6 update to EP4 and root it so I can get rid of the bloatware and access the wireless tethering.
    12-08-2011 12:20 AM
    Awesome. This is exactly what I want to do. I'm gonna do it tomorrow. Thanks for the post and responses!
    12-08-2011 03:21 AM

Thanks Landshark!

One thing I would add is after getting the phone in download mode but before hitting start in ODIN install the battery. I had an oh crap moment when my download failed but putting in the battery took care of it.
    12-09-2011 06:44 PM
    I'm about to do this. Does it delete your data when you root?
    12-11-2011 02:21 PM
    WHy are you warning us about installing the battery. The OP does not mention removing it in the first place. Or when the 2nd sentence says "Turn off the phone" that is supposed to be "pull the battery"?
    12-14-2011 09:24 PM
    I'm about to do this. Does it delete your data when you root?
    Did not for me. I didn't lose a thing. But i followed this guide.
    How To: ROOT your Droid Charge
    I think it's pretty much the same.
    12-15-2011 05:38 PM

Shark, thanks for the detailed instructions. I finally decided to take the plunge and root. The instructions seemed to work well, but my problem is that I can't tell if it worked or not. My phone seems the same as it was prior to going through this process. Is there a good way to know whether or not I did it right?
    12-16-2011 12:20 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD