How To Root Stock Droid Charge FP5

ztkryan

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Typed this up for a friend I thought it would be nice to share with any new droid charge owners looking for a guide to how to root FP5.

Major Credit goes to:
trparky

I learned how to do this from his website:
Tom's Android Knowledge Base -- Offline

Root Stock Droid Charge FP5:

First download this tool:

MD5-Checker

It will be used to run an md5 check on the files before they are flashed to your phone.

Next download this:

http://www.toms-world.org/android/download/ftp/ODIN3+v.1.82.exe

MD5: 3D8E8240F2A4F66E63A6622F65C7C909

This is Odin the *Windows* program used to interact with your phone.

Next download this:

0817_charge_recovery.tar.md5

MD5: 925D33E1AD40518AAC09B179DFDB0F76

This is CWM your main interface that will be used when loading roms, etc

Finally download this:

http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn.com/superuser/Superuser-3.2-RC3-arm-signed.zip

MD5: 6462AC14CD38ED7C539CE3E29A6B92A8

This is the file that you flash to root your phone.

Run MD5 Tool to make sure all the MD5's match the previous MD5 checksum!
1. Open the MD5 program
2. Select create an MD5 checksum
3. Browse to the file that needs to be checked
4. Verify that the MD5 created matches the ones above (if they don't re-download)
5. Repeat for all files

Now you have all the files downloaded to root your phone. The steps to root stock droid charge are as follows:

Copy files to SD card
1. On the home screen select settings
2. Select USB setting and turn on USB debugging
3. Plug in your phone to your computer (give it a min to install drivers)
4. Pull down your top bar and select "Connect storage to PC" button
5. Create a new folder called Downloads
6. Drag the Superuser-3.2-RC3-arm-signed.zip file into the Downloads folder that you just created
7. Hit the "Disconnect from storage PC" button on your phone

CWM
8. Turn off your phone
9. Once the phone is completely off take out the battery
10. Open Odin then while holding the volume button down plug your phone into the computer
11. When you get the Yellow triangle with android in it your in download mode, plug battery back in.
12. On the left under option uncheck Auto Reboot (you and leave F. Reset Time checked)
13. Once Odin picks up your phone (a yellow com box will show up) click on PDA and browse to the CWM file and select it
14. Click start (it should be a quick flash)
15. Once the flash says successful take out battery and unplug phone

Superuser
16. Put your battery back in the phone
17. Hold down volume up and home (button on bottom of phone that has an up arrow) and the power button
18. Once you see the Samsung logo release the power button but continue to hold down the volume up and home button down
19. Once your phone has booted into CWM(there will be a banana at the bottom of the screen) arrow down with the volume button and select mounts and storage with the power button
20. Arrow down to the option that says mount system and use the power button to select it
21. Arrow down and select go back
22. Arrow down and select install zip from sdcard
23. Select choose zip from sdcard
24. Arrow down and select Downloads
25. Select the file that says Superuser-3.2-RC3-arm-signed.zip
26. Arrow down and select Yes - Install Superuser-3.2-RC3-arm-signed.zip
27. Select Go Back
28. Select Go Back
29. Select reboot system now

Let the phone boot up go the market and install root check it should say you?re rooted. Then your all done your phone has root that wasn't so hard was it:)

If you still are unsure or run into any problems feel free to send me a pm I would be happy to help you through the process via skype.

Last edited:

mrsteacher82

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: How To Root Stock Droid Charge EP4D

HOORAY!!

FINALLY after weeks and weeks of searching and downloading and attempting to root, THIS TUTORIAL WAS THE ONE THAT WORKED FOR ME! Can you tell how excited I am??

I've been trying to get SuperOneClick to work and have followed every tip and trick that people have been recommending for the Charge to no avail. I almost gave up yesterday for good when I stumbled across this post, coincidentally posted the same day!

I love Samsung phones so I got the Charge when the Fascinate began having problems last summer and I was warned about its battery life, but lately it's only been lasting about 6 or 7 hours- even with the mobile data turned off most of the day. I really, really hope this will do it!

THANK YOU!!

ztkryan

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
HOORAY!!

FINALLY after weeks and weeks of searching and downloading and attempting to root, THIS TUTORIAL WAS THE ONE THAT WORKED FOR ME! Can you tell how excited I am??

I've been trying to get SuperOneClick to work and have followed every tip and trick that people have been recommending for the Charge to no avail. I almost gave up yesterday for good when I stumbled across this post, coincidentally posted the same day!

I love Samsung phones so I got the Charge when the Fascinate began having problems last summer and I was warned about its battery life, but lately it's only been lasting about 6 or 7 hours- even with the mobile data turned off most of the day. I really, really hope this will do it!

THANK YOU!!

glad to help:)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

galaxys

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

I did everything the ODIN passed...

when i went to install the superuser ZIP file it gave me this error

"Failed to verify whole-file signature
Signature verification failed"

any idea?

Thanks!

ztkryan

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

I did everything the ODIN passed...

when i went to install the superuser ZIP file it gave me this error

"Failed to verify whole-file signature
Signature verification failed"

any idea?

Thanks!

Re-download the superuser file. Make sure the md5 check sums match. You will have to odin CWM back on your phone if you have booted into it (stock kernel overwrites recovery to stock on boot). Make sure system is mounted before you try to flash superuser file. Finally make sure your selecting "choose zip from sdcard" in CWM not "apply update from sdcard" Let me know if that works:p

Reactions: galaxys

galaxys

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

HOLY CRAP it worked.

the loading screen was different thats why it didn't work...no banana dude at first but now it's all done

:)

THanks man!

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site

Good write up. Might be good to mention that you need to have the Samsung drivers on your PC. Sometimes people have trouble getting odin to recognize. I think most people do this anyway when they sync the phone for the first time but ...

jmdarrah

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

First, thank you so much for your guide. I'm getting hung up, however, after running Odin. after my phone passes, I pull the battery and unplug. Then, boot up the phone while holding vol. down and home key, but my phone boots up like normal instead of taking me to the CWM screen. I did this twice. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks for your time

Jarrett

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Are you holding it long enough? when you give it the three button combo, you will see the sammy logo come up.....keep holding the buttons.....the sammy logo will go away....keep holding....the sammy logo will come back up....now you can let go and it should slide into recovery.

If I remember correctly, if you fail to get into CWM on the first boot after odin'ing, you have to restart everything since the recovery gets overwritten.

Reactions: jmdarrah

ztkryan

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
First, thank you so much for your guide. I'm getting hung up, however, after running Odin. after my phone passes, I pull the battery and unplug. Then, boot up the phone while holding vol. down and home key, but my phone boots up like normal instead of taking me to the CWM screen. I did this twice. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks for your time

Jarrett

You need to hold the volume down button to get into dl mode and the volume up button to boot into cwm if you phone has booted into the stock ROM then you will need to re odin cwm into your phone because the stock kernel will overwrite cwm on boot let me know if that works :)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jmdarrah

jmdarrah

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

you're right! I was holding the volume down button! It worked holding vol. up! Thank you so much!

cybercody

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Typed this up for a friend I thought it would be nice to share with any new droid charge owners looking for a guide to how to root EP4D.

Major Credit goes to:
trparky

http://www.toms-world.org/android/

Root Stock Droid Charge EP4D:

http://www.toms-world.org/android/download/ftp/MD5+It%21.exe

It will be used to run an md5 check on the files before they are flashed to your phone.

Next download this:

Next download this:

http://imnuts.net/rCzxsR

MD5: 9C41377FDCDB341310BC8C25D0794D6D

Finally download this:

http://www.toms-world.org/android/download/ftp/Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip

MD5: A5D14DC42323A61CAF71549A885AF8C3

1. Open the MD5it program
2. Drag the file into the file box and select MD5it!
3. Verify that the MD5 created matches the ones above (if they don't re-download)
4. Repeat for all files

Now you have all the files downloaded to root your phone. The steps to root stock droid charge are as follows:

Copy files to SD card
6. Drag the Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip file into the Downloads folder that you just created

CWM
8. Turn off your phone
10. Open Odin then while holding the volume button down plug your phone into the computer
11. When you get the Yellow triangle with android in it your in download mode, plug battery back in.
12. On the left under option uncheck Auto Reboot (you and leave F. Reset Time checked)
13. Once Odin picks up your phone (a yellow com box will show up) click on PDA and browse to the CWM file and select it

Superuser
17. Hold down volume up and home (button on bottom of phone that has an up arrow) and the power button
18. Once you see the Samsung logo release the power button but continue to hold down the volume up and home button down
19. Once your phone has booted into CWM(there will be a banana at the bottom of the screen) arrow down with the volume button and select mounts and storage with the power button
20. Arrow down to the option that says mount system and use the power button to select it
25. Select the file that says Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip
26. Arrow down and select Yes - Install Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip
27. Select Go Back
28. Select Go Back

Let the phone boot up go the market and install root check it should say you?re rooted. Then your all done your phone has root that wasn't so hard was it:)

If you still are unsure or run into any problems feel free to send me a pm I would be happy to help you through the process via skype.

cybercody

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Typed this up for a friend I thought it would be nice to share with any new droid charge owners looking for a guide to how to root EP4D.

Major Credit goes to:
trparky
I tried every thing that was in your list and bricked my phone. Found a rooted stock app and unbricked it so this didn't work.
http://www.toms-world.org/android/

Root Stock Droid Charge EP4D:

http://www.toms-world.org/android/download/ftp/MD5+It%21.exe

Next download this:

Next download this:

http://imnuts.net/rCzxsR

MD5: 9C41377FDCDB341310BC8C25D0794D6D

Finally download this:

http://www.toms-world.org/android/download/ftp/Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip

MD5: A5D14DC42323A61CAF71549A885AF8C3

1. Open the MD5it program
2. Drag the file into the file box and select MD5it!
3. Verify that the MD5 created matches the ones above (if they don't re-download)
4. Repeat for all files

Copy files to SD card
6. Drag the Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip file into the Downloads folder that you just created

CWM
8. Turn off your phone

Superuser
25. Select the file that says Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip
26. Arrow down and select Yes - Install Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip
27. Select Go Back
28. Select Go Back

ToolMonkey

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

What a fantastic post. Truly step by easy step. Couldn't have made it easier unless you came to my house, brewed me a delicious cup of tea, and did the root for me. Thank you very much. :)

brianwalter7

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

Great! Love how easy it was. Thanks for the detailed info. Great for people that dont do this everyday. i really appreciate it.

theodd1

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

I have Odin downloaded but I am having a very difficult time trying to make it my droid charge, I load up odin on my PC and then connect my phone while holding the down volume rocker, but the downloading yellow triangle screen comes up but theres nothing On the Odin program itself that says its connected. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

Are you sure about that? once it is connected to Odin, in the first rectangle box under id:com should be yellow. Also, did you install the Samsung drivers on your pc?

theodd1

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

Thank you! I did need the drivers and now I am rooted! Quick question, what exactly is superuser? I clicked allow for it to work with Titanium backup, is it so titanium backup has full access to the phone?

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

Superuser is a program that grants low level access to your phone's operating system. It basically grants access to files a non-rooted phone could not.
Now you need to instal a custom rom. I suggest either TweakStock or Eclipse. Both are excellent trimmed down roms that will show you how good your phone can actually run.

theodd1

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

Superuser is a program that grants low level access to your phone's operating system. It basically grants access to files a non-rooted phone could not.
Now you need to instal a custom rom. I suggest either TweakStock or Eclipse. Both are excellent trimmed down roms that will show you how good your phone can actually run.
Eclipse looks cool, I think I will try that. If I follow the Odin process once more with Eclipse, will I still keep all my data?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech