Bought used phone that's been "voodooed"

Patti88

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I got a used Charge off craigslist. It works great except when I try to update the software something weird happens. The update downloads, the phone reboots, it starts to install the update and about 1/4 way through, I get a white triangle with an orange exclamation point and the little green droid dude. The only thing I can do it a battery pull. Then it boots to a screen that says "Voodoo Logfix Recovery" that looks like the pic attached. I can choose reboot and the phone boots back to normal (without the update though). Other than not being able to install the update, I have no other problems with the phone. How do I get rid of this voodoo thing?? I know nothing about rooting or hacking so I need layman instructions :)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I got a used Charge off craigslist. It works great except when I try to update the software something weird happens. The update downloads, the phone reboots, it starts to install the update and about 1/4 way through, I get a white triangle with an orange exclamation point and the little green droid dude. The only thing I can do it a battery pull. Then it boots to a screen that says "Voodoo Logfix Recovery" that looks like the pic attached. I can choose reboot and the phone boots back to normal (without the update though). Other than not being able to install the update, I have no other problems with the phone. How do I get rid of this voodoo thing?? I know nothing about rooting or hacking so I need layman instructions :)

You should do this anyway, but you need to return the phone all the way to stock. You never know what is on there from the previous owner unless you do

These instructions are simple and to the point. Do not be afraid of it, the Charge is hard to kill.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/dr...l-modem-ed2-odin-package-last-resort-fix.html

After you do that, you will have to do several OTA updates (over the air) to get up to the most current version.

Reactions: Hellfax

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I think you can go somewhere here and get a odin file to carry you to present stock without doing all the OTA's which consume so much time..i saw it either here or xda quite possibility at rootswiki. at the very least you can odin to ep4d then OTA the fp1.. all stock... sry i dont remember where i saw that file buts its here ..do a search for odins and see what comes up..

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
yeah that file is around (how you doing papa54, long time no see) but I figured the instructions given with the ed2 were gold for a newbie and really didnt want to stray from them for fear of confusing her...

Patti88

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. Yep, that 2nd post confused the heck out of me, lol. I'll try that first post tonight and see what it does. The person who sold me the phone didn't bother to wipe anything, I had all his texts, phone numbers, etc. Lucky for him I am an honest person and did a factory reset first thing.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree, it is a good idea to return your phone to stock, to be sure nothing is left over from the previous owner. Who knows what ghosts he may have left lurking that could cause serious problems for you!!

1. Go here for Odin, and CWM Recovery (which you may or may not use, depending on how much you want to get into all this):

FP1 - All packages up to date - xda-developers

There is a link to download Odin, as well as a link that explains how to use Odin if you are not familiar with it.

2. Then you can download and install GingerBread (EP4 tar file) and the PIT file for the Samsung Droid Charge from here:

imnuts ? Odin Packages

3. Then you can load this EP4 tar file using the PDA Button in ODIN, and PIT file using the PIT Button in ODIN you just downloaded, (follow the instructions on how to use ODIN either in the link piizzadude provided, or the instructions provided in the XDA link above).

4. And then you can do the FP1 update Over The Air if you want, or...

5. Or you can load CWM Recovery through ODIN, and flash (install) the FP1 kernel and pre-rooted FP1 ROMS found in the XDA link I provided above. Note that if you decide to go this route, you have to install the FP1 kernel and the FP1 ROMS separately, the kernel is required and is not included in the FP1 ROMs.

Confused? Hopefully not. It's all a lot easier than it looks/sounds, and there are plenty of folks willing and able to walk you through all this if need be.

Patti88

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I found Odin by googling and finally hitting a legit site, however, it gives me a fail message when running - see attached screen shot. I did everything in the exact order specified.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I found Odin by googling and finally hitting a legit site, however, it gives me a fail message when running - see attached screen shot. I did everything in the exact order specified.

I notice Odin is not reporting a com port for the phone. Were you initially able to get the phone in download mode and connect to Odin?

A com port should have reported in the rectangular box below the red box.

BTW, I don't believe you should have Auto Reboot checked.

Patti88

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it does report a COM initially, I guess when it fails, it wipes that box. Here's the initial screen shot. I closed it out and tried to turn my phone on and I get a screen that shows a phone connected to a computer with a orange caution triangle between them and all I can do is a battery pull to take me back to the same icons (ie. phone wont boot now).

(PS I did try it again and unchecked auto boot, same result.)

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it does report a COM initially, I guess when it fails, it wipes that box. Here's the initial screen shot. I closed it out and tried to turn my phone on and I get a screen that shows a phone connected to a computer with a orange caution triangle between them and all I can do is a battery pull to take me back to the same icons (ie. phone wont boot now).

(PS I did try it again and unchecked auto boot, same result.)

What action are you taking that results in a FAIL message? After you get the successful COM link, are you then trying to install a file in the PDA section of ODIN, and that is when you get the FAIL? Or do you get a FAIL just with your phone connected immediately after you get a successful connection?

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I am going through the steps outlined here

http://forums.androidcentral.com/dr...l-modem-ed2-odin-package-last-resort-fix.html

I get the yellow download screen on my phone, I click PDA on ODIN, I choose the tar file, it goes through steps then fails.

What tar file are you using? I suggest using the one I linked you to in my earlier post for the EP4 tar file

imnuts ? Odin Packages

It's the 4th one down under Droid Charge.

I also recommend using the PIT file as well, and loading that in the PIT section in ODIN.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Also here is a tip.

Take the battery out until you get into download mode. Then put the battery back in and flash. The charge likes the battery in when using Odin. Not sure if the post says that or not

Rezound via Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Patti88 and lpt2569

Patti88

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well I'll be dang, popping that battery back in after loading the download screen on the phone worked, its running now. Fingers crossed it finishes! Stand by.....

Patti88

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Round of drinks on me, we have success!!! Just to summarize in case someone else reads this later, here's what I did. I followed instructions here with a few tweaks:

EXCEPT I downloaded ODIN from here imnuts ? Odin Packages
download 4th one under Droid Charge (I dont know if this matters but I got it to work using this one)

EXCEPT after the yellow download screen comes up, pop your phone battery back in

THANKS GUYS!!! :D

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Round of drinks on me, we have success!!! Just to summarize in case someone else reads this later, here's what I did. I followed instructions here with a few tweaks:

EXCEPT I downloaded ODIN from here imnuts ? Odin Packages
download 4th one under Droid Charge (I dont know if this matters but I got it to work using this one)

EXCEPT after the yellow download screen comes up, pop your phone battery back in

THANKS GUYS!!! :D

Awesome! Big thanks to piizzadude, that trick with the battery is probably all that you were missing the first time around. I totally forgot the battery thing...sorry about that.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Cool! Glad you got it working!

I cannot tell you how many times I flashed my charge KNOWING I had to have the.battery in and still forgot.

Rezound via Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol