04-17-2013 08:43 PM
524 ... 1516171819 ...
tools
    does this still work?
    06-12-2011 08:36 PM
    use this - link

then update to EE4 (if ED2 update doesn't show up b4 EE4 does, that's OK)

then install this - you will have root - link

then install this - link

steps can be found in each post, also it helps to clear cache after downgrade to ED1 before you install EE4 update (before boot, cause after downgrade to ED1, your phone will boot in to CWM)

proof that EE4 works with AB 4.1.1 - post
    I can confirm that this method works. I have not yet updated to AB 4.1.1. muzhik, In the guide you provided you have the step to install CWM recovery. I am confused, AB 4.0 includes CWM and voodoo lagfix. Is this step necessary? Also, can you be more clear on how to install the AB 4.1.1 patch? The AB thread did not seem very informative. Although I did not dig through the thread much for a guide.
    Thanks again for the guide!

P.S. This is my first time rooting a phone so excuse my ignorance.
    06-12-2011 09:23 PM
    Susu :0sl
    06-12-2011 09:52 PM
    Gingersnap-V1.2.zip, where can I download it?
    06-13-2011 01:26 PM
    This works on Droid Charge?
    06-13-2011 01:37 PM
    thanks works great
    06-13-2011 02:47 PM
    [WARN]Gingersnap (along with all other Android modifications) is experimental software and while I have made this as safe as possible, differences in operating environments and natural disasters can cause your device to become unusable. Please make sure you understand this important fact before downloading.

Disclaimer: Neither myself, Android Central or any other member of Android Central are responsible for any disasters that occur as a result of any hack or modification you perform on your device. Your use of this application is at your own risk![/WARN]

With that out of the way, I'd like to introduce you to the Gingersnap Root Utility. Gingersnap is a one-click root utility, much like SuperOneClick or Universal Androot.

The nitty gritty: Gingersnap uses a modified version of the famous GingerBreak exploit to automatically root your Android-powered device and installs the necessary files to maintain a permanent root status.

Pre-use Requirements:
    1) You need the .NET 4 Framework. Not the Client Profile, the full .NET 4 Framework.
    2) For some reason you need the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable installed. Don't ask me why.
    3) You need proper drivers for the your phone. Your video card doesn't work without drivers and neither will your phone.
    4) Before running this Utility please make sure your phone is in debugging mode

Instructions:
    • Download and unzip Gingersnap-V1.2.zip to anyplace on your computer
    • Connect your phone to computer in debugging mode
    • Open Gingersnap-V1.2 folder
    • Double click Gingersnap applications icon
    • press GO , sit back and relax

Credits:
    Gingersnap Utility: drewwalton19216801
    GingerBreak exploit: C-Skills (Sebastian)
    Autoroot shell script (com.sh): Droidxcon, YAY ME!
    MAJOR thanks to jondevere for being drewwalton19216801's personal guinea pig!

Think you're ready? The file is attached to this post.

Source Code:
    The modified GingerBreak source code is attached to this post. The filename is gingerbreak-mod-gs-src.zip
    Will the Gingersnap one-click root a new Charge operating on
    Firmware 2.2.1;
    Basebandi510.06 V.EE4
    SCH-I510.EE1;
    Kernel Version 2.6.32.9;
    Build Number SCH-I510.EE4??
    06-13-2011 02:56 PM
    Directions: (Assuming you followed preparations from Post #2)

Download DSChargeRoot.zip:

With your phone in debugging mode set to stay awake
    1. Extract downloaded DSChargeRoot.zip file directly to your C:\ Drive

2. Now go to your start button on your menu bar,in the run field or search field depending on your version of windows, type CMD and hit enter. The command box will present itself. From here on out just copy and paste the commands i will provide below. To paste in the command box you must right click on the mouse and select paste. Do not paste BOLD text below those are just for info.

Commands are as follows:

Code:
    cd C:\DSChargeRoot 

adb devices
    It will state
    "List of devices attached
    I500******* device"
    If you dont see this you are not connected

Code:
    adb push su /data/local/su
    adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/Superuser.apk
    adb push GingerBreak /data/local/GingerBreak
    adb push com.sh /data/local/com.sh
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/su
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/GingerBreak
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/com.sh
    adb shell
    The adb shell command will not put you in the phones internal command terminal. This is represented with "$" prompt. You will now execute the GingerBreak exploit. This make take serveral minutes.

Code:
    /data/local/GingerBreak
    After entering the above command Gingerbreak will do its thing. A successful exploit will end with this,"[!] dance forever my only one"
    If it ends in anything else or if it hangs for more than 5 minutes pull your battery and attempt to root again.
    After exploit is complete you will have a command prompt that looks like this "#". That represents root access. You will now excute shell script then reboot your phone.

Code:
    /data/local/com.sh
    exit
    exit
    adb reboot
    Your phone will now reboot. Congrats Enjoy your rooted device
    [TIP]check app drawer to see if superuser app is installed,if it is you are rooted[/TIP]
    Firmware 2.2.1;
    Basebandi510.06 V.EE4
    SCH-I510.EE1;
    Kernel Version 2.6.32.9;
    06-13-2011 03:00 PM
    I am new to all this. Once my Droid Charge is rooted:

1. Do you ever have to do it again? What happens if updates for the phone become available?
    2. Is there some info somewhere on how to effectively use this administrative right? In other words, I might want to uninstall some apps but how do I learn how to do that?

Thanks folks. Looking forward to using this forum ......... Rob
    06-13-2011 06:07 PM
    cool i think ill try this
    06-13-2011 07:18 PM
    Firmware 2.2.1;
    Basebandi510.06 V.EE4
    SCH-I510.EE1;
    Kernel Version 2.6.32.9;
    No it wont work on anything above ED1 , Anyting above ED1 requires custom kernels

I am new to all this. Once my Droid Charge is rooted:

1. Do you ever have to do it again? What happens if updates for the phone become available?
    2. Is there some info somewhere on how to effectively use this administrative right? In other words, I might want to uninstall some apps but how do I learn how to do that?

Thanks folks. Looking forward to using this forum ......... Rob
    1. read statement above. yes everyupdate will require you to find a way to gain root but it will become easier

2. there is info all over the site . search keywords "rooted now what"

cool i think ill try this
    if you have ED1 it will be a breeze otherwise you need to look into a custom kernel or rom
    06-13-2011 07:22 PM
    I cant seem to get gingersnap.
    06-13-2011 10:41 PM
    06-14-2011 01:49 AM
    06-14-2011 02:38 AM
    Check out DroidXcon's Altered Beast ROM I'm sure he will be updating it shortly to include the new EE4 files and his ROM includes CWM and the Voodoo Lagfix Kernel so you will be rooted.
    When I install this ROM will I lose all data that is currently on my phone (contacts, email, apps . . .)?
    06-14-2011 12:18 PM
    this is just a post.i have a new replenish...just makin a post so i can downloads these files,;p
    06-15-2011 03:18 PM
    [WARN]Gingersnap (along with all other Android modifications) is experimental software and while I have made this as safe as possible, differences in operating environments and natural disasters can cause your device to become unusable. Please make sure you understand this important fact before downloading.

Disclaimer: Neither myself, Android Central or any other member of Android Central are responsible for any disasters that occur as a result of any hack or modification you perform on your device. Your use of this application is at your own risk![/WARN]

With that out of the way, I'd like to introduce you to the Gingersnap Root Utility. Gingersnap is a one-click root utility, much like SuperOneClick or Universal Androot.

The nitty gritty: Gingersnap uses a modified version of the famous GingerBreak exploit to automatically root your Android-powered device and installs the necessary files to maintain a permanent root status.

Pre-use Requirements:
    1) You need the .NET 4 Framework. Not the Client Profile, the full .NET 4 Framework.
    2) For some reason you need the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable installed. Don't ask me why.
    3) You need proper drivers for the your phone. Your video card doesn't work without drivers and neither will your phone.

Instructions:

Credits:

Source Code:
    The modified GingerBreak source code is attached to this post. The filename is gingerbreak-mod-gs-src.zip
    thank you so much!
    06-15-2011 05:23 PM
    nice one click root
    06-15-2011 06:08 PM
    Tried on the brand new phone with ED1, worked perfectly. Updated to EE4 and no longer rooted (as expected)
    06-15-2011 07:45 PM
    no it wont work on anything above ed1 , anyting above ed1 requires custom kernels

1. Read statement above. Yes everyupdate will require you to find a way to gain root but it will become easier

2. There is info all over the site . Search keywords "rooted now what"

if you have ed1 it will be a breeze otherwise you need to look into a custom kernel or rom
    thanks all!!!!!11111~!
    06-15-2011 10:36 PM
    Q: What is Root?
    [INFO]A: Root, is super user access of your phones operating system. Think of your phone as a desktop computer. Right now you are logged on as a guest account. you can browse things and use applications but if you really want to change anything in your system you can't. What gaining root does is it gives you superuser permission to alter files that you could not before; again thinking of it as a computer you now have an Administrator account.[/INFO]

Q:Does rooting void my warranty?
    [INFO]A:Yes and no. If you walk into your carriers store with a phone that has Root access and they actually check it they have the right to say this phone was tampered with. But for those of you in the know, there are methods to unroot your phone first.[/INFO]

Q: Does rooting slow down my phone or drain battery.
    [INFO]A: NO, root is not an application or a running process, gaining root does not do anything but give you permissions that you normally would not have. Basically all you did during the rooting process was move files around. Its what you do with this new found permission that changes things. But as far as just rooting it does not make a difference.[/INFO]

Q: Will i lose any apps or data during the rooting process?

[INFO]A: No, for the same reason as above. Rooting is basically just moving some files around. Of course there is always a risk of something happening in any process. I would say chances are of causing serious problems is slim to non. Its what you do with this new found permission that changes things. But as far as just rooting it does not make a difference.
    [/INFO]
    Q: I lost root during an update, am i doomed?
    [INFO]A: No, what happend was the file containing your super user access was over written. Just re-attempt gaining root and you will be fine.[/INFO]

********************************************************************************************

Preparations:

1. Download and Install Samsung Drivers

Samsung drivers Mirror

2. Go to Settings > Applications > Developement > Enable Debugging, then connect your phone to your PC, allow 2-3 minutes to configure drivers
    I assume that if you are starting with a stock phone, that drivers are already installed, Could you clarify the need for this step?
    06-16-2011 11:33 AM
    Thanks!
    06-16-2011 12:06 PM
    I just got my charge yesterday. I am following your steps but it seems to be hanging after:
    [*] vold:2386 GOT start: 0x000162e8 GOT end: 0x00016328

Build ends in .EE4

Reading through previous posts, it was mentioned to replace the kernal. Can you assist with a suggested kernel and the process to use to make sure it is sussessful?

Thank you,

Orgulio
    06-16-2011 03:33 PM
    thanks for the help
    06-16-2011 09:12 PM

Pre-use Requirements:

Instructions:

Credits:

Source Code:
    thanks
    06-16-2011 09:13 PM
524 ... 1516171819 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD