04-17-2013 08:43 PM
524 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    roc did you use the odin downgrade package originally?
    Was never ED2 just followed the steps yesterday and glad everything worked out, even if it was not picture perfect. Now just have to figure how to hide those annoying system update available messages and what to freeze in titanium to hide mobile hotspot now that I have Wireless Tether. Everything else was so easy to figure out, but I do not see anything that says mobile hotspot/hotspot/etc in titanium. Probably one of those com.verizon files that give no clue to what it does. Don't want to freeze something vital so probably just gonna toss it at the end of the apps if nobody else knows.
    05-21-2011 12:21 PM
    Can someone tell me how the ED2 update is "unrooting" ED1 rooted devices? It is just removing the setuid root permissions on su or it something more involved?
    05-21-2011 07:07 PM
    Can someone tell me how the ED2 update is "unrooting" ED1 rooted devices? It is just removing the setuid root permissions on su or it something more involved?
    If we knew then we could possibly figure it out ..... Why do you think you have an idea to fix it , we are open to ideas

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    05-21-2011 07:50 PM
    If we knew then we could possibly figure it out ..... Why do you think you have an idea to fix it , we are open to ideas

Looking at the ED2 update file META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script these lines will kill the suid for both su and the superuser.apk:

ui_print("Symlinks and permissions...");
    set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system");
    . . .
    set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/xbin");

If that's what's killing it there are a few possibilities for allowing ED1 rooted devices to migrate to ED2:

If the package is downloaded to the phone and requires user action before the update is applied, we could just patch out those lines. Or can we put a patched version on the phone and trigger it manually?

EDIT: It looks like we might be able to patch out those lines in the update file in /cache and then allow the update.
    EDIT 2: Since those lines might be needed to actually set some other permissions correctly, we could add:

set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/xbin/su");
    set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/xbin/Superuser.apk");

Failing that can we get a version of su that does not reside in /system to work? I've played around with it for a few minutes and cannot get a copy elsewhere to work. I'm not very familiar with the Android security model, but I'm assuming that's what I'm running into problems with here.
    05-21-2011 08:32 PM
    downgraded to ED1 from ED2, rooted and everything works...

thanks for great tutorial and your work!!!
    05-21-2011 09:02 PM
    Looking at the ED2 update file META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script these lines will kill the suid for both su and the superuser.apk:

ui_print("Symlinks and permissions...");
    set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system");
    . . .
    set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/xbin");

If that's what's killing it there are a few possibilities for allowing ED1 rooted devices to migrate to ED2:

If the package is downloaded to the phone and requires user action before the update is applied, we could just patch out those lines. Or can we put a patched version on the phone and trigger it manually?

Failing that can we get a version of su that does not reside in /system to work? I've played around with it for a few minutes and cannot get a copy elsewhere to work. I'm not very familiar with the Android security model, but I'm assuming that's what I'm running into problems with here.
    Can't do it because the update zip is signed and can not be modified

05-21-2011 09:14 PM
    Awesome!
    05-21-2011 10:53 PM
    Just purchased DC .... employee did E2 update for me.

So from what I have read.... I cannot root.

How to roll back to E1 or should I wait?
    05-22-2011 09:07 AM
    This is exactly what happened to me when I got a DC the other day. Had to use ODIN to flash back to ED1. The best part? The ED1 package was already rooted.
    05-22-2011 10:40 AM
    thnx!
    05-22-2011 11:15 AM
    Can't do it because the update zip is signed and can not be modified

I'm at a disadvantage because I'm not sure what has failed before so forgive me if these ideas have been tried and/or I'm missing something obvious.

Next idea:

It doesn't look like the update replaces init.rc so we can modify it and have it still run after the update. Can we just have init.rc restore the suid bit on su and superuser.apk on boot?
    05-22-2011 01:03 PM
    I'm at a disadvantage because I'm not sure what has failed before so forgive me if these ideas have been tried and/or I'm missing something obvious.

Next idea:

It doesn't look like the update replaces init.rc so we can modify it and have it still run after the update. Can we just have init.rc restore the suid bit on su and superuser.apk on boot?
    have you updated yet?
    05-22-2011 01:18 PM
    ADB wouldn't work for me, kept getting permission denied. Used Gingersnap and it worked right away.
    05-22-2011 01:53 PM
    ADB wouldn't work for me, kept getting permission denied. Used Gingersnap and it worked right away.
    Congrats
    05-22-2011 02:02 PM
    I apparently need to reply to download it, so here's my first post.
    05-22-2011 03:08 PM
    I apparently need to reply to download it, so here's my first post.
    ah its not so bad , we are a great group, get to know us. Welcome to Android Central and good luck on the root
    05-22-2011 03:12 PM
    About to downgrade to ED1 and run rooting process on my first android phone, must say its an exciting venture
    05-22-2011 03:27 PM
    About to downgrade to ED1 and run rooting process on my first android phone, must say its an exciting venture
    after you downgrade you shouldnt need to run this , just download the superuser app from the market.
    05-22-2011 03:32 PM
    after you downgrade you shouldnt need to run this , just download the superuser app from the market.
    Yea, as I'm reading, I see people say the possibility of being "stuck" with ED1 when future updates come along, this confuses me, and I'm not sure what the actual long term effects could be. Does anyone really know for sure if the downgrade route is a "safe" option, or if I should just wait for ED2 to be rooted?
    05-22-2011 03:42 PM
    Yea, as I'm reading, I see people say the possibility of being "stuck" with ED1 when future updates come along, this confuses me, and I'm not sure what the actual long term effects could be. Does anyone really know for sure if the downgrade route is a "safe" option, or if I should just wait for ED2 to be rooted?
    well some claim they have been able to update back up to ED2, its up to you i cant make that decision for you . But one way or another we will be able to root ED2 and be able to make an odin package to ED2 again
    05-22-2011 03:45 PM
    just trying to download gingersnap
    05-22-2011 04:03 PM
    well some claim they have been able to update back up to ED2, its up to you i cant make that decision for you . But one way or another we will be able to root ED2 and be able to make an odin package to ED2 again
    Cool, just did the downgrade, easy as pie, and now I can freeze a bunch of those useless bloatware programs.
    05-22-2011 07:08 PM
    works great thanks for all the effort
    05-22-2011 09:19 PM
    have you updated yet?
    Not yet, was concerned about version mismatches if I needed to roll back to ED1, plus there's really nothing in ED2 that's essential. This is more of a puzzle to play with.
    05-22-2011 09:28 PM
    good post
    05-22-2011 11:02 PM
524 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD