[How-to] Root Droid Charge**5/19/11**[Windows & Mac] Now with GingerSnap!

aschindler

May 14, 2011
Visit site
You can get around the update notification by editing /system/default.props file and changing ED1 to ED2 everywhere.

I did this (after rooting and figuring out how to chmod the default.prop file and how to open it in a text editor) but I was still getting the ED2 update notifications. Perhaps it was because the update had already been downloaded to my phone. To finally get rid of the ED2 pop up window I had to install the app Quick Boot and reboot in recovery mode and clear the phone's download cache. Then the notifications finally went away for good.

Funny story... when I got my Charge at the Verizon store the customer service guy was activating it and I piped up asking him to please not do the ED2 software upgrade. He was like "oh yeah, okay, no problem", but a nearby manager overhead me and stopped what he was doing and started eyeballing me like I was asking his daughter out on a date. I just gave what I hoped was an innocent looking smile. Eventually he went back to what he was doing without saying anything. Whew! :cool:

LocrianGroove

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
After rooting, I accidentally accepted the ED2 update and was prompted with an option to "reboot and install update." I could not dismiss it, so I pulled the battery. Any chance I can keep the update from installing when I power up the phone? I have not installed a recovery tool or any boot utility.

JLoftus

May 18, 2011
Visit site
The update won't install unless you click install, but you will continue to get that prompt every time you restart the phone until you rename otacerts and clear the cache.

roc69x

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd C:\DSChargeRoot

C:\DSChargeRoot>
C:\DSChargeRoot>adb devices
List of devices attached
100079a55063 device

C:\DSChargeRoot>adb push su /data/local/su
549 KB/s (26336 bytes in 0.046s)

C:\DSChargeRoot>adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/Superuser.apk
1095 KB/s (140049 bytes in 0.124s)

C:\DSChargeRoot>adb push GingerBreak /data/local/GingerBreak
526 KB/s (16830 bytes in 0.031s)

C:\DSChargeRoot>adb push com.sh /data/local/com.sh
14 KB/s (225 bytes in 0.015s)

C:\DSChargeRoot>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/su

C:\DSChargeRoot>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/GingerBreak

C:\DSChargeRoot>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/com.sh

C:\DSChargeRoot>adb shell
$ /data/local/GingerBreak
/data/local/GingerBreak

[**] Gingerbreak/Honeybomb -- android 2.[2,3], 3.0 softbreak
[**] (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew. All rights reserved.
[**] Kudos to jenzi, the #brownpants-party, the Open Source folks,
[**] Zynamics for ARM skills and Onkel Budi

[**] donate to 7-4-3-C@web.de if you like
[**] Exploit may take a while!

[-] Cannot copy boomsh.: Permission denied

roc69x

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I did everything right up to that point and my gingers soul was stolen and rebooted before I proceeded to CMD, which I clicked the first time then right clicked and ran as administrator after it failed the first time. Got the same result as above.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I did everything right up to that point and my gingers soul was stolen and rebooted before I proceeded to CMD, which I clicked the first time then right clicked and ran as administrator after it failed the first time. Got the same result as above.

Did you do a battery pull between attempts

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

roc69x

May 21, 2011
Visit site
No just shut it down. I don't know what happened but SuperUser is installed and Root Checker says: Congratulations! You have root access! Guess it got rooted and I did not get the "#" or the "[!] dance forever my only one". Either the root checker is full of **** or guess that error did not matter much.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
No just shut it down. I don't know what happened but SuperUser is installed and Root Checker says: Congratulatioms! You have root access! Guess it got rooted and I did not get the "#" or the "[!] dance forever my only one". Either the root checker is full of **** or guess that error did not matter much.

Download a free terminal emulator from the market and type su if you get # you are rooted

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

I also noticed you pushed everything to /data/local. This is wrong. Everything needs to be pushed to /data/local/tmp. Also, make absolutely sure you are doing this on ED1 and not ED2.

roc69x

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Download a free terminal emulator from the market and type su if you get # you are rooted

Yep got the # :), time to freeze some bloat. @drewwalton19216801 I just copied and pasted from the guide so if I did anything wrong I had no clue and it was ED1 as it keeps bugging me about a system update. Does anybody know how to stop these constant update messages? I have titanium and frozen pretty much anything that is vzw/verizon and they still continue.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yep got the # :), time to freeze some bloat. @drewwalton19216801 I just copied and pasted from the guide so if I did anything wrong I had no clue and it was ED1 as it keeps bugging me about a system update. Does anybody know how to stop these constant update messages? I have titanium and frozen pretty much anything that is vzw/verizon and they still continue.

roc did you use the odin downgrade package originally?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
i have heard rumors that samsung intoduced with ED2 a kernal level root lock out. is this the case? anyone know?

Although its true the update broke ability to root im not exactly sure as to if it is kernel level. If you open up the update zip file there is no kernel included so i dont think the kernel was touched but i could be wrong.