[ODIN] Stock Rooted ED1 (downgrade from ED2) [2011.05.18]

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
It's probably on the sdcard in the update.zip format (I did the downgrade, and when it booted into recovery it found the update file)

Just don't apply the update, and go through your build.prop and replace all instances of ED1 with ED2 and the messages should stop (they did for me)

Now I'm just patiently awaiting the devs to find a way to root ED2

Can you get me that update.zip file please

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
It crossed my mind. All this is is a dump of ED1 I made and then packaged into a flashable ODIN. When you use this to downgrade you instantly get a popup stating there is an upgrade available (to ED2.) I have a feeling this will in no way effect future updates coming from verizon. Thanks for your concern.

The notification is there, but if you attempt to actually proceed with the update, it will likely fail due to the mismatched baseband and system versions. The update notification only checks build.prop, assuming that both things match, it doesn't actually verify anything until after the update has downloaded and is attempting to patch files.

mboverst

May 15, 2011
plus.google.com
The notification is there, but if you attempt to actually proceed with the update, it will likely fail due to the mismatched baseband and system versions. The update notification only checks build.prop, assuming that both things match, it doesn't actually verify anything until after the update has downloaded and is attempting to patch files.

I used this to temp root and freeze the bloat. After it was done I had no problems installing ED2 again and it worked fine. The crap apps are still frozen, I just lost root for the time being. Until there is another root method for ED2, I just wanted to freeze the bloatware and speed up Touchwiz (which it did).

rmreagle

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It's probably on the sdcard in the update.zip format (I did the downgrade, and when it booted into recovery it found the update file)

Just don't apply the update, and go through your build.prop and replace all instances of ED1 with ED2 and the messages should stop (they did for me)

Now I'm just patiently awaiting the devs to find a way to root ED2

Well im rooted after having updated and using the downgrade odin flash and then following droidxcon's post. I tried replacing all instances of the ed1 with ed2 in the build.prop file, restarted and still had update notice. Did the same in the build.prop.bak file also, restarted and still update notice. I have backups of both files on my sd card. Any ideas? I checked it over twice and im pretty sure I switched them all..

While on the subject of the build.prop file anyone think we can edit it to trick the netflix app to work?

Black-Falcon

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well im rooted after having updated and using the downgrade odin flash and then following droidxcon's post. I tried replacing all instances of the ed1 with ed2 in the build.prop file, restarted and still had update notice. Did the same in the build.prop.bak file also, restarted and still update notice. I have backups of both files on my sd card. Any ideas? I checked it over twice and im pretty sure I switched them all..

While on the subject of the build.prop file anyone think we can edit it to trick the netflix app to work?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here... haha

Are you editing the build.prop and then replacing the copy in /system?

I got the update notice once too, but once I clicked "not now" and restarted it went away and never bothered me again.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I used this to temp root and freeze the bloat. After it was done I had no problems installing ED2 again and it worked fine. The crap apps are still frozen, I just lost root for the time being. Until there is another root method for ED2, I just wanted to freeze the bloatware and speed up Touchwiz (which it did).

imnuts point is , lets say there is another update before we get ED2 rooted. anyone who has downgraded will be stuck with the downgrade

rmreagle

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I copied the file then moved it to the sd card. I edited the file directly in the system folder with root explorer.

Sidebar how screwed are we down the road if we are a downgrade root... Will there be work arounds our did I screw myself with impatience for rooting?

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
As long as we can find a way to root ED2, which should be easy once CWM is fully functional. But, until then, anyone that updated to ED2, then downgraded back to ED1 with this is stuck. The only other option would be to get a full Odin package, and I can't see that happening as Samsung holds on to them pretty tightly.

rmreagle

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to be sound noob like... But what exactly are we stuck with? Ed1...? what are the major differences between a rooted phone pre update and me who used the downgrade? Will it impact flashing new roms when they release? Or overclocking kernels?

No matter what I'm confident you kick ass devs will be able to figure out a fix. Keep on rocking!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
:cool:

Sorry to be sound noob like... But what exactly are we stuck with? Ed1...? what are the major differences between a rooted phone pre update and me who used the downgrade? Will it impact flashing new roms when they release? Or overclocking kernels?

No matter what I'm confident you kick ass devs will be able to figure out a fix. Keep on rocking!

you have the ED2 modem so thats really all that matters, but you are stuck with that modem and ED1 , ED2 was a small update not much to care about but now if another update comes out and we are not rooted by then you can now move up to it . you are stuck with ED2 radio and ED1 system

Black-Falcon

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
:cool:

you have the ED2 modem so thats really all that matters, but you are stuck with that modem and ED1 , ED2 was a small update not much to care about but now if another update comes out and we are not rooted by then you can now move up to it . you are stuck with ED2 radio and ED1 system

I think I'm okay with that for the time being...lol

hermdog#AC

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Noob Alert

Brand newbie here. Made the ED-2 mistake hours into ownership. I have a decent understanding of what's in front of me, but wanted to make sure that with a complete re-flash there's no chance of loosing my Verizon network settings in the process. I'm probably missing some very elemental understanding of how Droids store this and are enabled on the Verizon network, but just wanted to make sure. I'm guessing the hardware is initialized on the network outside of operating system, but just wanted to confirm. Anyone? (And apologies in advance if this is well covered our outrageously noobish - I hadn't run across it in 12 hours of root reading, that's all.) Thanks!

extheflow

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm having anxieties over the drivers, I snatched them off the phone when it looked like a CD drive, and now it looks like generic disk drive. "Removable Disk" is this right?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie