01-11-2012 11:50 PM
1,276 ... 3839404142 ...
tools
    Just a question, does this ODIN Package include the EE4 Radio as well? That is what I am really looking to get. Thanks!
    As far as I know, no ODIN packages have the EE4 radios. The preferred method to get the radios, is downgrade to rooted ED1, take the OTA, then install cwm, the kernel of your choice, then a rom if you like. Cwm install and kernel need to be installed one right after the other without letting the phone boot back up.

Abbreviated steps:

1. ODIN rooted ED1
    2. Accept EE4 Update
    3. ODIN CWM
    4. Boot into cwm, install kernel (I like the pb&j voodoo kernel), wipe data, cache, davlik then install rom (AB v5 for me)
    5. Reboot phone.
    6. Cake!
    06-22-2011 12:02 PM
    Something I've notice on v5 is that I can't keep LauncherPro default when I reboot. On reboot it goes to AOSP (I love those icons), and I can use home switcher to get back to LP (it is set as default), but then all my widgets are 'unable to load' and I have to delete and replace them. Not terribly difficult, but something's not quite right there.

I really only use LP for the 5 icons across the bottom... Is there any way to get the AOSP launcher to expand to 5? I can't find setting of any kind for it, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place
    06-22-2011 12:09 PM
    As far as I know, no ODIN packages have the EE4 radios. The preferred method to get the radios, is downgrade to rooted ED1, take the OTA, then install cwm, the kernel of your choice, then a rom if you like. Cwm install and kernel need to be installed one right after the other without letting the phone boot back up.

Abbreviated steps:

1. ODIN rooted ED1
    2. Accept EE4 Update
    3. ODIN CWM
    4. Boot into cwm, install kernel (I like the pb&j voodoo kernel), install rom (AB v5 for me)
    5. Reboot phone.
    6. Cake!
    Thanks for the help. I was running Gummycharged but I wanted the new radio so I went to stock ED2 and the update did not work. I have liked what I have seen in AB so I just decided to flash it. As long as it works without the new radio, I am happy
    06-22-2011 12:10 PM
    I really only use LP for the 5 icons across the bottom... Is there any way to get the AOSP launcher to expand to 5? I can't find setting of any kind for it, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place
    I'm not sure if this issue only affects LauncherPro and not other home launchers, but you can give Go Launcher or ADW a shot.
    06-22-2011 12:44 PM

Abbreviated steps:

1. ODIN rooted ED1
    2. Accept EE4 Update
    3. ODIN CWM
    4. Boot into cwm, install kernel (I like the pb&j voodoo kernel), install rom (AB v5 for me)
    5. Reboot phone.
    6. Cake!
    Just now looking to root my Charge so want to just verify I'm undestanding;
    From my EE4 Stock unrooted -> install a Rooted ED1 Kernal -> Update to EE4 -> then use ODIN to install CWM on my phone -> install a kernal and ROM of my choice?

I'm confused how ODIN will install CWM, from what i read update removes root access and you need root access to install CWM... i am probably missing something but any clarification would be welcome.

Thanks
    06-22-2011 01:34 PM
    As far as I recall, you don't lose root on Ee4 update.
    borumha likes this.
    06-22-2011 01:54 PM
    This is for anyone who has any questions about flashing this ROM. Since I too am a noob, I feel like I should give back to the noob community so these amazing developers can focus more on working on their ROMs.

Anyway, if you are coming from Stock ED1/ED2, Altered Beast 1/2/3/4 do this (it would help to make a folder to put everything in):

1. Download ODIN from here
    2. Download Stock Rooted ED1 from here. If the file downloaded is .tar.tar extract this .tar (using WinRAR) and you should get a .tar.md5 file. If it is already .tar.md5, leave it.
    3. Download Altered Beast A5. DO NOT EXTRACT IT.
    4. Download the PBJT voodoo kernel (Well I would at least). Get it from here. This is the imnuts kernel from 6-2. Not the overclocking kernel.
    5. Download Clockwork Recovery Mod from here. Again, this is imnuts CWM from 6-11
    6. If you are rooted, I would back up your apps and stuff using Titanium Backup.
    7. If you have AB 1/2/3/4 or any other ROM/kernel with lagfix, disable that now. To do this, boot into CWM and disable it. Reboot the phone and it will convert it back to RFS. BE PATIENT, this will take a while.
    8. Create two folders on your SD card called "ROM to flash" and "Kernel to flash".
    9. Put Altered Beast V5.zip in the ROM to flash folder and the PBJT.zip file into the Kernel to flash folder.
    10. Flash Stock ED1 Rooted with ODIN. Here's how:
    10a. ENSURE VOODOO IS DISABLED!
    10aa. Ensure you have the correct USB drivers installed. If you ever used your phone with your computer then you probably do.
    10b. Open Odin
    10c. Shut down your phone and take the battery out
    10d. Plug in your usb cable to the BACK of your (desktop)computer. If you are using a laptop ensure the power is plugged into the laptop.
    10e. Now plug in the other end of the usb to your phone. While pluggin it in, make sure you are holding down the volume down button. Hold it down and plug it in and you'll see Andy digging a hole and a screen that says downloading.
    10f. In ODIN, you should see a yellow box now that says COM something.
    10g. Now that you have a yellow box on your screen, click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file you extracted from step 2.
    10gg. For me, I seemed to get better results if I had my phone plugged in for over a minute without doing anything. IDK if this is true or anything but it worked for me.
    10h. Once you select the .tar.md5, you can ensure that you selected PDA and click start. ODIN will do it's magic.
    10i. Hopefully it worked, and if it didn't, you just bricked your phone . Just kidding, just keep trying, it'll go through eventually.
    10j. Once you see a green box that says pass, you can unplug your phone and put the battery in and boot it up.
    10k. If you for some reason end up in Samsung recovery just hit Reboot and it'll boot up into Stock Rooted ED1.
    11. You now need to accept the update to EE4. It should be automatically pushed to you.
    12. Let it update and once it reboots, you'll be on EE4. YAY!
    13. Once in EE4, one would now flash CWM. Crack open ODIN again and follow the same instructions but this time, select the CWM .tar.md5 file using the PDA button.
    14. Flash with ODIN and disconnect when done.
    15. Reboot into CWM. To do this, hold Vol up + Home + power. When the Sammy logo comes up release power.
    16. When CWM comes up go to install .zip from SD. Navigate to where you put the KERNEL.
    17. Select the Kernel and install it. It shouldn't take too long. You don't need to reboot.
    18. Now for everyone's favorite part which is wiping the data. Go to the first page in CWM. Hit Wipe Data. This takes a few minutes. Once its done, hit Wipe Cache. This is quick. Don't reboot yet
    19. Now, for everyone's real favorite part, installing AB V5. Go to install from .zip again. Navigate to where you put the ROM and select it and install it. This doesn't take too long but be patient.
    20. Once it finishes, reboot and you should be running AB V5.
    21. You can enable voodoo using an app DroidXCon put in called Voodoo control.

Good luck!
    Fantastic instructions answers all my questions about rooting... thanks
    06-22-2011 01:56 PM
    As far as I recall, you don't lose root on Ee4 update.
    Ok.. thanks I must have been thinking it did with EE4 since it did with ED 2
    06-22-2011 01:57 PM
    do I need to update to ee4 before i flash ab5. I as currently running ab4.1. i had changed all my ed2 to ee4 in my build prop. or should i just flash the ab5 zip.
    06-22-2011 03:49 PM
    do I need to update to ee4 before i flash ab5. I as currently running ab4.1. i had changed all my ed2 to ee4 in my build prop. or should i just flash the ab5 zip.
    You'll need EE4 if you want the new radios.
    06-22-2011 04:11 PM
    Thought this might interest some of you. Below is a list of all the files I moved to my SD card from /system/apps/ as part of my de-bloating process. If anyone wants to add to the list that'd be great! =)

android-syncservice-app-1.5.8.19-samsung_stealth-test.apk
    AxT9IME.apk
    BackupAssistant.apk
    Browser.apk
    BuddiesNow.apk
    CameraFirmware.apk
    DeskCradle.apk
    Dlna.apk
    FactoryTest.apk
    GenieWidget.apk
    GpsSetup2.apk
    HTMLViewer.apk
    InfoAlarm.apk
    InputEventApp.apk
    MediaHub.apk
    MusicPlayer.apk
    MyFiles.apk
    OzEmail.apk
    PhoneErrService.apk
    SamsungMtp.apk
    SamsungWidget_FeedAndUpdate.apk
    SamsungWidget_ProgramMonitor.apk
    SamsungWidget_WeatherClock.apk
    SelfTestMode.apk
    serviceModeApp.apk
    SetupWizard.apk
    SoundPlayer.apk
    TeamNews.apk
    VisualVoiceMail.apk
    VpnServices.apk
    VVMService.apk
    WlanTest.apk
    06-22-2011 04:13 PM
    Thought this might interest some of you. Below is a list of all the files I moved to my SD card from /system/apps/ as part of my de-bloating process. If anyone wants to add to the list that'd be great! =)

android-syncservice-app-1.5.8.19-samsung_stealth-test.apk
    AxT9IME.apk
    BackupAssistant.apk
    Browser.apk
    BuddiesNow.apk
    CameraFirmware.apk
    DeskCradle.apk
    Dlna.apk
    FactoryTest.apk
    GenieWidget.apk
    GpsSetup2.apk
    HTMLViewer.apk
    InfoAlarm.apk
    InputEventApp.apk
    MediaHub.apk
    MusicPlayer.apk
    MyFiles.apk
    OzEmail.apk
    PhoneErrService.apk
    SamsungMtp.apk
    SamsungWidget_FeedAndUpdate.apk
    SamsungWidget_ProgramMonitor.apk
    SamsungWidget_WeatherClock.apk
    SelfTestMode.apk
    serviceModeApp.apk
    SetupWizard.apk
    SoundPlayer.apk
    TeamNews.apk
    VisualVoiceMail.apk
    VpnServices.apk
    VVMService.apk
    WlanTest.apk
    yes there is alot that can be debloated but if you recall with the last couple versions people were complaining about this and that now working so i decided to leave alot of those apks in. Rom still ran smooth with them in so i didnt see a problem
    06-22-2011 04:16 PM
    is there a way to check and see if i have ee4 radios?
    06-22-2011 04:33 PM
    is there a way to check and see if i have ee4 radios?
    settings>about phone>baseband should say EE4/EE1
    06-22-2011 04:35 PM
    does mobile hotspot work on ab5 update?
    06-22-2011 05:17 PM
    does mobile hotspot work on ab5 update?
    Sure does =)
    06-22-2011 05:55 PM
    settings>about phone>baseband should say EE4/EE1
    Really?? Mines reads ED1 on both lines. Did I miss something??
    06-22-2011 06:00 PM
    yes there is alot that can be debloated but if you recall with the last couple versions people were complaining about this and that now working so i decided to leave alot of those apks in. Rom still ran smooth with them in so i didnt see a problem
    Oh no I completely agree with your decision. In fact I was one of the people complaining =P

Lol this was more just a list so people like me know what things they can remove without bricking their phones but still lets us keep the bloat we use (in my case calendar, gmail, and the stock clock =)

btw if you can add to the list with things you know are safe to remove that'd be awesome. Right now I'm just reading through various samsung threads to find out what the various apks do.
    06-22-2011 06:00 PM
    Loving this Rom, however I am having a problem with it,

battery is dying fast, where as stock it lasted longer

it becomes very very very slow, especially when opening up messaging after a few times.

I end up having to restart to clear that issue up, but I will get a message, go back in to it and it will not respond for 30 seconds. Other apps begin to act the same.

I don't know that I have anything special on the phone, I have been using Lookout Mobile with it, but it was fresh and clean when I put the Rom on, installed a few apps (Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, Quick Pic, Lookout)

I restored Verizon Sign-On Service so I could use My Verizon and have the Data Usage widget.

(This is Altered Beast alpha 5, with CWM 4.0.0.1, Voodoo Enabled) no other modifications
    06-22-2011 06:52 PM
    Loving this Rom, however I am having a problem with it,

battery is dying fast, where as stock it lasted longer

it becomes very very very slow, especially when opening up messaging after a few times.

I end up having to restart to clear that issue up, but I will get a message, go back in to it and it will not respond for 30 seconds. Other apps begin to act the same.

I don't know that I have anything special on the phone, I have been using Lookout Mobile with it, but it was fresh and clean when I put the Rom on, installed a few apps (Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, Quick Pic, Lookout)

I restored Verizon Sign-On Service so I could use My Verizon and have the Data Usage widget.

(This is Altered Beast alpha 5, with CWM 4.0.0.1, Voodoo Enabled) no other modifications
    ok try getting rid of lookout, what are you using lookout for? also when you say its training faster what are you basing this on? stock battery only shows you intervals of 25% ,so you could be on 59% on stock and you think you are on 75%. on my rom it shows you intervals of 1%.... if you are having problems still i would do a data , cache and dalvik cache wipe and start from there
    06-22-2011 07:01 PM
    ok try getting rid of lookout, what are you using lookout for? also when you say its training faster what are you basing this on? stock battery only shows you intervals of 25% ,so you could be on 59% on stock and you think you are on 75%. on my rom it shows you intervals of 1%.... if you are having problems still i would do a data , cache and dalvik cache wipe and start from there
    I've never had good battery life, but I don't blame your ROM as it was the same life when I was on stock. Thanks for the tip on wiping cache and dalvik cache, I just did that (didn't wipe data though) and am curious if battery life will improve.

Love the ROM, keep up the good work!
    06-22-2011 07:46 PM
    Is there someway to change the notification bar? the altered beast one is a little horrendous imho.
    06-22-2011 08:55 PM
    I really like the updated theming, its really coming together nicely and its good to be back on AB again.
    06-22-2011 09:17 PM
    Does this rom address the 3g/4g data dropping in and out issue with these phones? Also, does the two button screen capture still work with this rom?
    06-22-2011 10:10 PM
    Mysteriously all the files I downloaded to flash were incomplete...it took "the man" DroidXcon a few seconds to identify the problem and 15 min later my device was an Altered Beast! Quandrant benchmark scores are constantly 1500 and above, I'm a UPS driver and I used Slacker radio from 8:30 this morning til' 8 tonight and had 15% battery when I got home at 8:50...NICE!

Mr. DroidXcon...you have earned a faithful fan. I love the personal touches in ABv5, PLEASE keep up the AMAZING work...THANKS DUDE! Tomorrow is pay day for me and DONATION day for you...
    06-22-2011 10:18 PM
1,276 ... 3839404142 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD