[Odin][Rom][6/20/11]AC's Altered Beast **Alpha 5** EE4 based

DawgPoundMBA

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
To be fully current you should have let the OTA update come threw prior to putting a ROM on the device. Then you would have the radio update and so forth. After that you can flash as you wish.

So I was on 4.1.1 and then upgraded to 5. Should I have downgraded to stock. Then updated to current verizon, then installed AB5?

What is the draw back if I am using the ED2 radios?

markkitos

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
So I was on 4.1.1 and then upgraded to 5. Should I have downgraded to stock. Then updated to current verizon, then installed AB5?

streetlight,
If I'm stock, running EE4 already then I need to Odin AB 4.1 & then flash A5 right??? Please tell me the steps because I've had 3 different Charges now due to software upgrade issues & do not want to have to get another phone sent to me.
I am not rooted or anything, do not have CWM - nada - just straight out of the box running EE4

Porkweasel

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Well this is where I'm at. I bought the phone, took the update, flashed this rom Any idea what I would do to not deal with popups every 5 minutes to update my phone? I must have missed something. Sorry for being such a noob.

View attachment 10914

DawgPoundMBA

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Well this is where I'm at. I bought the phone, took the update, flashed this rom Any idea what I would do to not deal with popups every 5 minutes to update my phone? I must have missed something. Sorry for being such a noob.

View attachment 10914

I pretty much did the samething but dont have the problem. AB5 is built on EE4 (I think).

My info shows Baseband Version .ED1 and Build number EE4.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
This is for anyone who has any questions about flashing this ROM. Since I too am a noob, I feel like I should give back to the noob community so these amazing developers can focus more on working on their ROMs.

Anyway, if you are coming from Stock ED1/ED2, Altered Beast 1/2/3/4 do this (it would help to make a folder to put everything in):

1. Download ODIN from here
2. Download Stock Rooted ED1 from here. If the file downloaded is .tar.tar extract this .tar (using WinRAR) and you should get a .tar.md5 file. If it is already .tar.md5, leave it.
3. Download Altered Beast A5. DO NOT EXTRACT IT.
4. Download the PBJT voodoo kernel (Well I would at least). Get it from here. This is the imnuts kernel from 6-2. Not the overclocking kernel.
5. Download Clockwork Recovery Mod from here. Again, this is imnuts CWM from 6-11
6. If you are rooted, I would back up your apps and stuff using Titanium Backup.
7. If you have AB 1/2/3/4 or any other ROM/kernel with lagfix, disable that now. To do this, boot into CWM and disable it. Reboot the phone and it will convert it back to RFS. BE PATIENT, this will take a while.
8. Create two folders on your SD card called "ROM to flash" and "Kernel to flash".
9. Put Altered Beast V5.zip in the ROM to flash folder and the PBJT.zip file into the Kernel to flash folder.
10. Flash Stock ED1 Rooted with ODIN. Here's how:
10a. ENSURE VOODOO IS DISABLED!
10aa. Ensure you have the correct USB drivers installed. If you ever used your phone with your computer then you probably do.
10b. Open Odin
10c. Shut down your phone and take the battery out
10d. Plug in your usb cable to the BACK of your (desktop)computer. If you are using a laptop ensure the power is plugged into the laptop.
10e. Now plug in the other end of the usb to your phone. While pluggin it in, make sure you are holding down the volume down button. Hold it down and plug it in and you'll see Andy digging a hole and a screen that says downloading.
10f. In ODIN, you should see a yellow box now that says COM something.
10g. Now that you have a yellow box on your screen, click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file you extracted from step 2.
10gg. For me, I seemed to get better results if I had my phone plugged in for over a minute without doing anything. IDK if this is true or anything but it worked for me.
10h. Once you select the .tar.md5, you can ensure that you selected PDA and click start. ODIN will do it's magic.
10i. Hopefully it worked, and if it didn't, you just bricked your phone :). Just kidding, just keep trying, it'll go through eventually.
10j. Once you see a green box that says pass, you can unplug your phone and put the battery in and boot it up.
10k. If you for some reason end up in Samsung recovery just hit Reboot and it'll boot up into Stock Rooted ED1.
11. You now need to accept the update to EE4. It should be automatically pushed to you.
12. Let it update and once it reboots, you'll be on EE4. YAY!
13. Once in EE4, one would now flash CWM. Crack open ODIN again and follow the same instructions but this time, select the CWM .tar.md5 file using the PDA button.
14. Flash with ODIN and disconnect when done.
15. Reboot into CWM. To do this, hold Vol up + Home + power. When the Sammy logo comes up release power.
16. When CWM comes up go to install .zip from SD. Navigate to where you put the KERNEL.
17. Select the Kernel and install it. It shouldn't take too long. You don't need to reboot.
18. Now for everyone's favorite part which is wiping the data. Go to the first page in CWM. Hit Wipe Data. This takes a few minutes. Once its done, hit Wipe Cache. This is quick. Don't reboot yet
19. Now, for everyone's real favorite part, installing AB V5. Go to install from .zip again. Navigate to where you put the ROM and select it and install it. This doesn't take too long but be patient.
20. Once it finishes, reboot and you should be running AB V5.
21. You can enable voodoo using an app DroidXCon put in called Voodoo control.

Good luck!

These directions look good

View attachment 10914

based on that picture AB5 did not flash correctly and you are still on an older version

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So should I just reflash AB5 again following the original instructions? Thank you!

follow streetlight's directions starting from around step 15 but you can skip the kernel part of it since you probably already have it...i need to get ready for work ill be back later, perhaps someone can help you further

Cranberryjeus

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
hey i want to try this rom and i already have a voodoo lagfix kernel and cwm would i just have to download without kernel and apply from cwm or should i do a full wipe (in cwm) then apply or **** it all and do the whole thing from odin? just wondering what the best way to do it is

i currently have no rom installed just a rooted kernel w voodoo lagfix and cwm

Porkweasel

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
follow streetlight's directions starting from around step 15 but you can skip the kernel part of it since you probably already have it...i need to get ready for work ill be back later, perhaps someone can help you further
When I used ODIN I extracted the tar file but I don't have a zip of AB5. Am I missing something? Sorry peeps...

15. Reboot into CWM. To do this, hold Vol up + Home + power. When the Sammy logo comes up release power.
16. When CWM comes up go to install .zip from SD. Navigate to where you put the KERNEL.
17. Select the Kernel and install it. It shouldn't take too long. You don't need to reboot.
18. Now for everyone's favorite part which is wiping the data. Go to the first page in CWM. Hit Wipe Data. This takes a few minutes. Once its done, hit Wipe Cache. This is quick. Don't reboot yet
19. Now, for everyone's real favorite part, installing AB V5. Go to install from .zip again. Navigate to where you put the ROM and select it and install it. This doesn't take too long but be patient.

Aixelsyd

May 29, 2011
Visit site
When I used ODIN I extracted the tar file but I don't have a zip of AB5. Am I missing something? Sorry peeps...

You need to download AB v5 from the other link in the OP if you are trying to flash via CWM. It is the spinning disk in the OP right above the green box that has the 6/20 changelog typed in

girlymissjulie

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Is it still necessary to flash the sd card patch after flashing the kernel before flashing this or can the sd card patch be skipped now? I hadn't seen any mention of it in the latest tutorials, so just wanted to check.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Is it still necessary to flash the sd card patch after flashing the kernel before flashing this or can the sd card patch be skipped now? I hadn't seen any mention of it in the latest tutorials, so just wanted to check.

No that's all fixed thanks to kejar and imnuts

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
By the way everyone I'm thinking of using. A themed touchwiz launcher 4 in the next build .has customizable dock, meaning you can use any apps you want vs the fixed dock they had before. Its pretty smooth also. If you don't like it toy can always use another launcher

mmamo

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I went from Altered Beast to Gummy but did I read correctly, that Hulu works on the New Altered Beast? Any Idea when Netflix will as well?

Aixelsyd

May 29, 2011
Visit site
By the way everyone I'm thinking of using. A themed touchwiz launcher 4 in the next build .has customizable dock, meaning you can use any apps you want vs the fixed dock they had before. Its pretty smooth also. If you don't like it toy can always use another launcher

As far as i'm concerned you can use whatever you want man. It is your ROM so have at it. Personally I never use any stock Launcher built into a ROM so make no difference to me one way or another. Great work on this build tho. I'm jumping back and forth between this and GC updates. Feel like I'm back in my D1 days of flashing again.....lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon