[Odin][Rom][6/20/11]AC's Altered Beast **Alpha 5** EE4 based

borumha

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
This is for anyone who has any questions about flashing this ROM. Since I too am a noob, I feel like I should give back to the noob community so these amazing developers can focus more on working on their ROMs.

Anyway, if you are coming from Stock ED1/ED2, Altered Beast 1/2/3/4 do this (it would help to make a folder to put everything in):

1. Download ODIN from here
2. Download Stock Rooted ED1 from here. If the file downloaded is .tar.tar extract this .tar (using WinRAR) and you should get a .tar.md5 file. If it is already .tar.md5, leave it.
3. Download Altered Beast A5. DO NOT EXTRACT IT.
4. Download the PBJT voodoo kernel (Well I would at least). Get it from here. This is the imnuts kernel from 6-2. Not the overclocking kernel.
5. Download Clockwork Recovery Mod from here. Again, this is imnuts CWM from 6-11
6. If you are rooted, I would back up your apps and stuff using Titanium Backup.
7. If you have AB 1/2/3/4 or any other ROM/kernel with lagfix, disable that now. To do this, boot into CWM and disable it. Reboot the phone and it will convert it back to RFS. BE PATIENT, this will take a while.
8. Create two folders on your SD card called "ROM to flash" and "Kernel to flash".
9. Put Altered Beast V5.zip in the ROM to flash folder and the PBJT.zip file into the Kernel to flash folder.
10. Flash Stock ED1 Rooted with ODIN. Here's how:
10a. ENSURE VOODOO IS DISABLED!
10aa. Ensure you have the correct USB drivers installed. If you ever used your phone with your computer then you probably do.
10b. Open Odin
10c. Shut down your phone and take the battery out
10d. Plug in your usb cable to the BACK of your (desktop)computer. If you are using a laptop ensure the power is plugged into the laptop.
10e. Now plug in the other end of the usb to your phone. While pluggin it in, make sure you are holding down the volume down button. Hold it down and plug it in and you'll see Andy digging a hole and a screen that says downloading.
10f. In ODIN, you should see a yellow box now that says COM something.
10g. Now that you have a yellow box on your screen, click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file you extracted from step 2.
10gg. For me, I seemed to get better results if I had my phone plugged in for over a minute without doing anything. IDK if this is true or anything but it worked for me.
10h. Once you select the .tar.md5, you can ensure that you selected PDA and click start. ODIN will do it's magic.
10i. Hopefully it worked, and if it didn't, you just bricked your phone :). Just kidding, just keep trying, it'll go through eventually.
10j. Once you see a green box that says pass, you can unplug your phone and put the battery in and boot it up.
10k. If you for some reason end up in Samsung recovery just hit Reboot and it'll boot up into Stock Rooted ED1.
11. You now need to accept the update to EE4. It should be automatically pushed to you.
12. Let it update and once it reboots, you'll be on EE4. YAY!
13. Once in EE4, one would now flash CWM. Crack open ODIN again and follow the same instructions but this time, select the CWM .tar.md5 file using the PDA button.
14. Flash with ODIN and disconnect when done.
15. Reboot into CWM. To do this, hold Vol up + Home + power. When the Sammy logo comes up release power.
16. When CWM comes up go to install .zip from SD. Navigate to where you put the KERNEL.
17. Select the Kernel and install it. It shouldn't take too long. You don't need to reboot.
18. Now for everyone's favorite part which is wiping the data. Go to the first page in CWM. Hit Wipe Data. This takes a few minutes. Once its done, hit Wipe Cache. This is quick. Don't reboot yet
19. Now, for everyone's real favorite part, installing AB V5. Go to install from .zip again. Navigate to where you put the ROM and select it and install it. This doesn't take too long but be patient.
20. Once it finishes, reboot and you should be running AB V5.
21. You can enable voodoo using an app DroidXCon put in called Voodoo control.

Good luck!

Fantastic instructions answers all my questions about rooting... thanks

ryan_charge

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
do I need to update to ee4 before i flash ab5. I as currently running ab4.1. i had changed all my ed2 to ee4 in my build prop. or should i just flash the ab5 zip.

azenalex

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Thought this might interest some of you. Below is a list of all the files I moved to my SD card from /system/apps/ as part of my de-bloating process. If anyone wants to add to the list that'd be great! =)

android-syncservice-app-1.5.8.19-samsung_stealth-test.apk
AxT9IME.apk
BackupAssistant.apk
Browser.apk
BuddiesNow.apk
CameraFirmware.apk
DeskCradle.apk
Dlna.apk
FactoryTest.apk
GenieWidget.apk
GpsSetup2.apk
HTMLViewer.apk
InfoAlarm.apk
InputEventApp.apk
MediaHub.apk
MusicPlayer.apk
MyFiles.apk
OzEmail.apk
PhoneErrService.apk
SamsungMtp.apk
SamsungWidget_FeedAndUpdate.apk
SamsungWidget_ProgramMonitor.apk
SamsungWidget_WeatherClock.apk
SelfTestMode.apk
serviceModeApp.apk
SetupWizard.apk
SoundPlayer.apk
TeamNews.apk
VisualVoiceMail.apk
VpnServices.apk
VVMService.apk
WlanTest.apk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thought this might interest some of you. Below is a list of all the files I moved to my SD card from /system/apps/ as part of my de-bloating process. If anyone wants to add to the list that'd be great! =)

android-syncservice-app-1.5.8.19-samsung_stealth-test.apk
AxT9IME.apk
BackupAssistant.apk
Browser.apk
BuddiesNow.apk
CameraFirmware.apk
DeskCradle.apk
Dlna.apk
FactoryTest.apk
GenieWidget.apk
GpsSetup2.apk
HTMLViewer.apk
InfoAlarm.apk
InputEventApp.apk
MediaHub.apk
MusicPlayer.apk
MyFiles.apk
OzEmail.apk
PhoneErrService.apk
SamsungMtp.apk
SamsungWidget_FeedAndUpdate.apk
SamsungWidget_ProgramMonitor.apk
SamsungWidget_WeatherClock.apk
SelfTestMode.apk
serviceModeApp.apk
SetupWizard.apk
SoundPlayer.apk
TeamNews.apk
VisualVoiceMail.apk
VpnServices.apk
VVMService.apk
WlanTest.apk

yes there is alot that can be debloated but if you recall with the last couple versions people were complaining about this and that now working so i decided to leave alot of those apks in. Rom still ran smooth with them in so i didnt see a problem

azenalex

May 26, 2011
Visit site
yes there is alot that can be debloated but if you recall with the last couple versions people were complaining about this and that now working so i decided to leave alot of those apks in. Rom still ran smooth with them in so i didnt see a problem
Oh no I completely agree with your decision. In fact I was one of the people complaining =P

Lol this was more just a list so people like me know what things they can remove without bricking their phones but still lets us keep the bloat we use (in my case calendar, gmail, and the stock clock =)

btw if you can add to the list with things you know are safe to remove that'd be awesome. Right now I'm just reading through various samsung threads to find out what the various apks do.

microtel

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Loving this Rom, however I am having a problem with it,

battery is dying fast, where as stock it lasted longer

it becomes very very very slow, especially when opening up messaging after a few times.

I end up having to restart to clear that issue up, but I will get a message, go back in to it and it will not respond for 30 seconds. Other apps begin to act the same.

I don't know that I have anything special on the phone, I have been using Lookout Mobile with it, but it was fresh and clean when I put the Rom on, installed a few apps (Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, Quick Pic, Lookout)

I restored Verizon Sign-On Service so I could use My Verizon and have the Data Usage widget.

(This is Altered Beast alpha 5, with CWM 4.0.0.1, Voodoo Enabled) no other modifications

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Loving this Rom, however I am having a problem with it,

battery is dying fast, where as stock it lasted longer

it becomes very very very slow, especially when opening up messaging after a few times.

I end up having to restart to clear that issue up, but I will get a message, go back in to it and it will not respond for 30 seconds. Other apps begin to act the same.

I don't know that I have anything special on the phone, I have been using Lookout Mobile with it, but it was fresh and clean when I put the Rom on, installed a few apps (Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, Quick Pic, Lookout)

I restored Verizon Sign-On Service so I could use My Verizon and have the Data Usage widget.

(This is Altered Beast alpha 5, with CWM 4.0.0.1, Voodoo Enabled) no other modifications

ok try getting rid of lookout, what are you using lookout for? also when you say its training faster what are you basing this on? stock battery only shows you intervals of 25% ,so you could be on 59% on stock and you think you are on 75%. on my rom it shows you intervals of 1%.... if you are having problems still i would do a data , cache and dalvik cache wipe and start from there

brianct1972

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
ok try getting rid of lookout, what are you using lookout for? also when you say its training faster what are you basing this on? stock battery only shows you intervals of 25% ,so you could be on 59% on stock and you think you are on 75%. on my rom it shows you intervals of 1%.... if you are having problems still i would do a data , cache and dalvik cache wipe and start from there

I've never had good battery life, but I don't blame your ROM as it was the same life when I was on stock. Thanks for the tip on wiping cache and dalvik cache, I just did that (didn't wipe data though) and am curious if battery life will improve.

Love the ROM, keep up the good work!

zeus_r6

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Does this rom address the 3g/4g data dropping in and out issue with these phones? Also, does the two button screen capture still work with this rom?

ups2525

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm finally on AB5 EE4!!!! Thx DroidXcon!

Mysteriously all the files I downloaded to flash were incomplete...it took "the man" DroidXcon a few seconds to identify the problem and 15 min later my device was an Altered Beast! Quandrant benchmark scores are constantly 1500 and above, I'm a UPS driver and I used Slacker radio from 8:30 this morning til' 8 tonight and had 15% battery when I got home at 8:50...NICE!

Mr. DroidXcon...you have earned a faithful fan. I love the personal touches in ABv5, PLEASE keep up the AMAZING work...THANKS DUDE! Tomorrow is pay day for me and DONATION day for you...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21