[Odin][Rom][6/20/11]AC's Altered Beast **Alpha 5** EE4 based

Tueyjr

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
If you search through the roms and hacks section, you should see a topic about gummy beast. Save the file to your sd card, then flash from cwm.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

rknauber

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Help!!!! Phone won't ring or send text. I am running gummy. What happen? It worked fine yesterday!

Ryan,
I am having the exact same issue today. When I try and open messaging, phone, call log or contacts they crash. I received one call today and was able to check voice mail once. It has not worked since. Have been rebooting all day with no results. Thinking about backing up my data (if that works) and flashing Gummy Charged for the time being.

bozy82

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I apologize if this is not the correct forum but I am new to all of this. I just bought my samsung charge yesterday and came from a DroidX. I am already missing the DroidX for some key features such as using more than just the power button to unlock phone and being able to control when the phone requires a password to unlock. In any case, I am looking to try a different ROM to see if I can like the phone even more. I love the 4G capability, front camera and video chat with Tango and I like the clarity of the screen but don't like what it's missing that the X had.

Anyways, is there anyway that someone can walk me through rooting the phone, installing CWM, and then actually flashing with a recommended ROM? I would greatly appreciate it and would even be willing to donate for a comprehensive guide with download links. It would also be nice to get information on how to revert back to stock, and how to backup factory settings incase I decide to take the phone back or would like to receive the latest manufacture update.

The phone is currently updated to the latest baseband version .EE4 and has kernal version 2.6.32.9. Again, I am willing to donate for a comprehensive instructional guide of rooting the phone (if required) and flashing with a "mostly" stable ROM.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited:

ups2525

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I apologize if this is not the correct forum but I am new to all of this. I just bought my samsung charge yesterday and came from a DroidX. I am already missing the DroidX for some key features such as using more than just the power button to unlock phone and being able to control when the phone requires a password to unlock. In any case, I am looking to try a different ROM to see if I can like the phone even more. I love the 4G capability, front camera and video chat with Tango and I like the clarity of the screen but don't like what it's missing that the X had.

Anyways, is there anyway that someone can walk me through rooting the phone, installing CWM, and then actually flashing with a recommended ROM? I would greatly appreciate it and would even be willing to donate for a comprehensive guide with download links. It would also be nice to get information on how to revert back to stock, and how to backup factory settings incase I decide to take the phone back or would like to receive the latest manufacture update.

The phone is currently updated to the latest baseband version .EE4 and has kernal version 2.6.32.9. Again, I am willing to donate for a comprehensive instructional guide of rooting the phone (if required) and flashing with a "mostly" stable ROM.

Thanks,

Kevin
Everything you need is in post #2 & 3 of this thread...both are by the developer Droidxcon. I will gladly give a strong recommendation to go w/ABv5 the developer is a total bad a*!$ and will help you in anyway he can. I came from Droidx 2 and initially was dissapointed but after the more recent mods my Charge now runs much better than my Droidx 2.
Do exactly as Droidxcon instructs and you CANT mess up...follow step by step and be sure to have a way of accessing the internet throughout the entire process and you can always get help here on our forum. This is an extremely popular thread so if you run into a problem head straight back here and someone will walk you through what you should do.

bozy82

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Everything you need is in post #2 & 3 of this thread...both are by the developer Droidxcon. I will gladly give a strong recommendation to go w/ABv5 the developer is a total bad a*!$ and will help you in anyway he can. I came from Droidx 2 and initially was dissapointed but after the more recent mods my Charge now runs much better than my Droidx 2.
Do exactly as Droidxcon instructs and you CANT mess up...follow step by step and be sure to have a way of accessing the internet throughout the entire process and you can always get help here on our forum. This is an extremely popular thread so if you run into a problem head straight back here and someone will walk you through what you should do.
UPS2525,

I appreciate the quick response. Is there anything in particular that you like about the ABv5 ROIM over the GC1.9 ROM? Also, is there any particular kernal that you would recommend? Also, how easy is it to revert back to stock if things do not go well.

Lastly, what features do you like about ABv5 that were not available in the stock verson?

Thanks,

Kevin

ups2525

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
UPS2525,

I appreciate the quick response. Is there anything in particular that you like about the ABv5 ROIM over the GC1.9 ROM? Also, is there any particular kernal that you would recommend? Also, how easy is it to revert back to stock if things do not go well.

Lastly, what features do you like about ABv5 that were not available in the stock verson?

Thanks,

Kevin
ABv5 is obviously customized, Droidxcon has left his mark on this rom which I think is AWESOME. I have had the pleasure of having dealing directly with Droidxcon and in my opinion (IMO) he as an individual exhibits pure passion and a commitment to the hobby/community. This is why I would recommend going with ABv5 if this is your first time rooting/flashing a rom because I know from experience that you will get all the support you need not only from Droidxcon but from the loads of members who have been through the challenges of rooting and flashing. GC 1.9 looks more like stock but still has a custom look to it as well and I have not dealt with the developer so I cant speak for him as an individual. The only reason Im Gummycharged is because I can overclock the kernal using Setcpu to a range of 100mhz to 1.6ghz. IME you can o/c @ 1.5ghz when needed but you have to go back down to 1.4ghz to avoid locking up your device and causing a reboot. Gummycharge is BLAZING fast and I experienced, even with the o/c @ 1.4, a lag until I used Android Overclock and set the VM heap size to 40M...I ran V6 Supercharge, 3g Turbocharge, spare parts + for some minor tweaks and Titanium Backup Pro froze the additional unwanted apps.

ups2525

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
ABv5 is obviously customized, Droidxcon has left his mark on this rom which I think is AWESOME. I have had the pleasure of dealing directly with Droidxcon and in my opinion (IMO) he as an individual exhibits pure passion and a commitment to the hobby/community. This is why I would recommend going with ABv5 if this is your first time rooting/flashing a rom because I know from experience that you will get all the support you need not only from Droidxcon but from the loads of members who have been through the challenges of rooting and flashing. GC 1.9 looks more like stock but still has a custom look to it as well and I have not dealt with the developer so I cant speak for him as an individual. The only reason Im Gummycharged is because I can overclock the kernal using Setcpu to a range of 100mhz to 1.6ghz. IME you can o/c @ 1.5ghz when needed but you have to go back down to 1.4ghz to avoid locking up your device and causing a reboot. Gummycharge is BLAZING fast and I experienced, even with the o/c @ 1.4, a lag until I used Android Overclock and set the VM heap size to 40M...I ran V6 Supercharge, 3g Turbocharge, spare parts + for some minor tweaks and Titanium Backup Pro froze the additional unwanted apps.

ryan_charge

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Ryan,
I am having the exact same issue today. When I try and open messaging, phone, call log or contacts they crash. I received one call today and was able to check voice mail once. It has not worked since. Have been rebooting all day with no results. Thinking about backing up my data (if that works) and flashing Gummy Charged for the time being.

I am running gummy at this time. I never had this issue on Ab5. Thinking about switching back.

bozy82

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
ABv5 is obviously customized, Droidxcon has left his mark on this rom which I think is AWESOME. I have had the pleasure of having dealing directly with Droidxcon and in my opinion (IMO) he as an individual exhibits pure passion and a commitment to the hobby/community. This is why I would recommend going with ABv5 if this is your first time rooting/flashing a rom because I know from experience that you will get all the support you need not only from Droidxcon but from the loads of members who have been through the challenges of rooting and flashing. GC 1.9 looks more like stock but still has a custom look to it as well and I have not dealt with the developer so I cant speak for him as an individual. The only reason Im Gummycharged is because I can overclock the kernal using Setcpu to a range of 100mhz to 1.6ghz. IME you can o/c @ 1.5ghz when needed but you have to go back down to 1.4ghz to avoid locking up your device and causing a reboot. Gummycharge is BLAZING fast and I experienced, even with the o/c @ 1.4, a lag until I used Android Overclock and set the VM heap size to 40M...I ran V6 Supercharge, 3g Turbocharge, spare parts + for some minor tweaks and Titanium Backup Pro froze the additional unwanted apps.
Thanks for your help. I went ahead and installed CWM with the PBJT Voodo kernel and then chose the GC 1.9 ROM. It's nice and fast. Got a 1500 score on the quandrant benchmark which is pretty crazy. Having some issues getting the corporate email to work without using third party app, so I'm think of trying out the ABv5 ROM. To do this, all I need to do is copy the zip file onto my sdcard and boot into CWM right? The kernel that I am using is already compatiable I'm assuming.

Another question, do you or anyone else know of a way to get the feature "Security lock timer" as on the DroidX. This allows the user to set the timeframe in which the phone will require a password to unlcok. Currently, the Droid Charge only has "Screen Timeout" setting which controls when the screen turns off, but doesn't require a password. If you set a password then it will require a password immediately, but in my case, since I am using corporate email, the policy dictates the mininum timeout before requiring password. The problem is that it is 15 min and I want it to be shorter. So any help would be appreciated on this.

Lastly, if I want to return to a stock unrooted phone that is not detectable by Verizon(To avoid warranty issues), what is the easiest method to do so?

Thanks,

Kevin

bozy82

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Just flashed my phone with the ABv5 ROM. I have pbjt kernel with the voodoo fix. The ROM looks great, but having a couple of issues. Currently, the default browser is force closing whenever I start it up. Also, I can't find the default calendar in the app list. The widget is there and attaches to the home screen fine, but it doesn't open the full calender when clicking on it. Any ideas?

Btw, great job in incorporating the corporate email function. I was using GC 1.9 but was unable to setup more advanced settings that are required for my corporate email, which is a must for me.

If it helps, I am running the pbjt kernel with the voodo fix and when I used CWM to flash the ROM. I wiped the cache, however I did not do a factory data wipe.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also, what is a good location or method to donate for all of your hard work and to provide encouragement to continue doing what you do?

Thanks,

Kevin

bozy82

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Titanium Back-up!! You can do selective back-up of apps, data and system files!! Get the paid version. It's worth it for moments like this.

Update: Sorry for repeat of reply#191 above. Did not see this when I wrote mine. I agree!
Great advice. Didn't realize titanium back up backed up system and data files in addition to apps.

Kevin

mouser991

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Just flashed my phone with the ABv5 ROM. I have pbjt kernel with the voodoo fix. The ROM looks great, but having a couple of issues. Currently, the default browser is force closing whenever I start it up. Also, I can't find the default calendar in the app list. The widget is there and attaches to the home screen fine, but it doesn't open the full calender when clicking on it. Any ideas?

Btw, great job in incorporating the corporate email function. I was using GC 1.9 but was unable to setup more advanced settings that are required for my corporate email, which is a must for me.

If it helps, I am running the pbjt kernel with the voodo fix and when I used CWM to flash the ROM. I wiped the cache, however I did not do a factory data wipe.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also, what is a good location or method to donate for all of your hard work and to provide encouragement to continue doing what you do?

Thanks,

Kevin

I had the same problems with the browser and calendar until I did a factory data wipe in CWM. You will lose data so back up your contacts and apps if you want to save data. This is a really nice ROM!

bozy82

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problems with the browser and calendar until I did a factory data wipe in CWM. You will lose data so back up your contacts and apps if you want to save data. This is a really nice ROM!
Thanks. Was trying to avoid doing factory wipe without some info that it may help the issue. Will try tonight. Appreciate the info.

Thanks,

Kevin

bozy82

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Went ahead and re-flashed the ABv5 ROM while doing a data/cache wipe and everything came up fine this time. Thanks for the advice. Seems to be draining battery really fast though. Only been off charge for 4 1/2 hours and already down to 39% which light to moderate usage but no wifi usage. I seem to remember seeing some posts in the forum about this issue so I'll look around and see what worked for other people.

Thanks,

Kevin

girlymissjulie

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Went ahead and re-flashed the ABv5 ROM while doing a data/cache wipe and everything came up fine this time. Thanks for the advice. Seems to be draining battery really fast though. Only been off charge for 4 1/2 hours and already down to 39% which light to moderate usage but no wifi usage. I seem to remember seeing some posts in the forum about this issue so I'll look around and see what worked for other people.

Thanks,

Kevin

Try a battery calibration - works everytime. Here's a great post with directions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1187698

mouser991

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I had pretty decent battery life using this rom, 12-15 hours before needing a charge. Mostly calls, browsing, e-mails and messaging. very little wifi use. I would probably completely drain the battery and do a full recharge, several times and see if that helps. If you search the forums you can find info about calibrating the battery. That seems to help a lot of people. Good luck!

Edit: LOL - Julie beat me to the suggestion! Thanks for posting the link!