[ROOT] [KERNEL] [Repost of jt1134] Root,ANY build w/ Voodoo lagfix!*updated*

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
[WARN]Android Central, jt1134, nor myself are responsible for modification done to your phone. This includes, bricking, exploding, spontaneous combustion, or it running away with your significant other!!!
[/WARN]​
[INFO]
THIS IS REPOSTED I AM IN NO WAY INVOLVED WITH THE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS KERNEL. ALL CREDIT GOES TO jt1134
PLEASE THANK HIM I HEAR HE LIKES BEER.[/INFO]

[NOTE]XDA original post: HERE[/NOTE]

Hi all

Whipped this up for a friend. Thought we'd be nice and share ;)

This kernel will work on any current sw version for the Charge.

Please find below a kernel package hacked for the following:

permanent adb root
installs Superuser and su binary automatically on boot
includes Voodoo ext4 lagfix - CREDIT TO SUPERCURIO! :D Lagfix, Galaxy S Lagfix that work | Project Voodoo, Galaxy S improvements
lowmemorykiller tweaks
sdcard readahead cache speed tweak

If you are using Odin to flash, simply flash the below package. If you are using Heimdall, remove the zImage file from the below package and flash it.

After flashing the first time, you will hear a voice from the phone telling you what is occurring. The conversion to ext4 will take a few minutes. BE PATIENT. Once it boots, Superuser should be installed, and your phone's filesystem will be converted from rfs to ext4. To disable Voodoo lagfix and convert back to rfs, simply create a file on your sdcard inside the Voodoo folder, named "disable-lagfix". Then reboot your phone and listen for the voices again. This will also take a few minutes.

Please familiarize yourself with using Odin or Heimdall and have backup images on-hand if you are going to use this kernel. If you screw up, you will need them ;)

I DO NOT have a Charge, these files have been tested by other users. As always I assume absolutely NO liability for anything that happens if you use this kernel. Phone blows up? It's on you to fix it :p

If you find this software helpful please click the "Thanks" or the "Donate" button. Either is fine by me. If you would like to investigate the changes that were made, please feel free to find them here.

Enjoy.

EDIT
Uploaded 2nd version

EDIT
Uploaded 3rd version
changed the install scripts around
should copy files more efficiently
fix file ownership and permissions
UNTESTED!

EDIT
Uploaded 4th version
Confirmed root from independent user!
rewrote install process to preserve file path and permissions
will look into the bootanimation graphics issue
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14764513/VoodooChargeKernel4.tar.md5

if you do not have root:
* check adb shell and see if you get a '#' prompt. If so, you *have* root on adb, and you may install whatever you want in /system
* check to see if Superuser app is installed
* check to see if /system/xbin/su exists on your phone.
If you have problems, please post the results of those checks. Thanks.[/.

DOWNLOAD HERE: Updated:5/23/11 @6:30pm

Last edited:

rmreagle

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
do i have to unzip this file before i flash it with odin...?

I did using winzip and i thought it was supposed to unzip as a .tar.md5, but all I'm getting is a zImage file...

I've only used odin once before when i used the downgrade to ed1 so i could root... i feel like this is my new catch phrase but please excuse the noobery.

asenduk

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
no need to unzip the file

do i have to unzip this file before i flash it with odin...?

I did using winzip and i thought it was supposed to unzip as a .tar.md5, but all I'm getting is a zImage file...

I've only used odin once before when i used the downgrade to ed1 so i could root... i feel like this is my new catch phrase but please excuse the noobery.

rmreagle

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
ok so flashed it and now applications don't have access to root... Pretty sure device is still rooted from what i saw other people were having the same issue but still able to get the # through adb...

Any ideas?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
ok so flashed it and now applications don't have access to root... Pretty sure device is still rooted from what i saw other people were having the same issue but still able to get the # through adb...

Any ideas?

not yet im sure jt will figure it out, its still early on

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm still a bit new to Android and I'm not planning on making these modifications until I understand the process a lot better, but I had one quick question.

From the post above: "This kernel will work on any current sw version for the Charge."

So does that mean that someone with ED2 can use this kernel and do you maintain root access afterwards? Sorry for the noobishness of my question.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

ScottDroid

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I have flashed different Roms to my TB and DX but this for the Charge are confusing me somewhat... If I use this "fix" will I stilll have Touchwiz on my phone ? I'm kinda leaning towards sticking with the Touchwiz for a bit longer.

Thanks.

Shelley55

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
so this works with ED2?????

can you post a step by step on how to do it???? I'm running stock ED2, and have never rooted... so its all new to me :/

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

carladarla

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Decided to go this route for now and it worked like a charm :) Thanks again DroidXcon. If I ever hit my 5 post limit I'll shoot you a PM and bother you if I have any questions lol.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well before I could get into V4, I made a fateful error and now I am stuck in the Samsung Recovery screen with this on the screen.

Android system recover <3e>
Samsung Recovery Utils For BML
(choices)
reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
format internal sd-card

-- bootmode=7 from cmdline...

-- Movi_check Start..!!
checksum confirmation need_checksum[0]
Not need checksum confirmation

-- MOvi_check already executed!!..

-- movi_checking done!..
# MANUAL MODE #

Once I get the d/l completed (which will take a while to do) I will give it a shot.

I have tried several options and suggestions from the folks over at XDA-Developers but so far Odin has not been agreeing with me and it hasn't restored my phone. Now I admit it was my error and resulted from not paying attention.

So has anyone successfully recovered from this over here at AC? If so what did you do to get yours back to stock rfs system?

tarheelmike

May 25, 2011
Visit site
First, thanks to all the experienced users for patience with noobs. I am currently rooted w/ ED1. Can I simply install this kernel to solve the factory lag issues on my Charge? I am happy with everything on this phone except the lag. I already have superuser and terminal emulator installed. Do I need to remove these apps prior to install of this kernel? I am running SBD 3D shell app and want to keep it. Thanks for the help.