step by step ed2?

i0sandman0i

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I finally decided to keep the charge. I am however quite confused with the rooting technique people are using here, I am on ED2 and i was reading that some kernel can be rooted on ED2? and how exactly do i downgrade to ED1? I know these have been discussed before, but I havent seen anything really outlined for the layperson...

what would be the easiest and simplest rooting technique for me on ED2 being a middle of the road rooting capability person.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rice923

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I am also curious about this, because the Charge will be my first android phone. I'm assuming the Charge will have ED2 updated onto it once I pick up the phone (likely around late June), and I wanted to learn how to downgrade to ED1 also.

rescueswimmer

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
As of now the replacement phone for the wife came with ed1. With that being said. You can use Droid x's Altered beast Rom once your rooted if you want to change your themes get the new file system etc.

If you don't want to mess with that stuff you can use this method http://forum.androidcentral.com/cha...ck-rooted-ed1-downgrade-ed2-2011-05-18-a.html

to go from ed2 to ed1 then use the gingersnap method in the stickies above to gain root access. It is pretty pretty simple. You just need to read, then reread before you attempt to click things. If your a peruser and not a reader you might want somebody to look over your shoulder. It really is a simple as a few clicks of the mouse and following the directions.

RS

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I finally decided to keep the charge. I am however quite confused with the rooting technique people are using here, I am on ED2 and i was reading that some kernel can be rooted on ED2? and how exactly do i downgrade to ED1? I know these have been discussed before, but I havent seen anything really outlined for the layperson...

what would be the easiest and simplest rooting technique for me on ED2 being a middle of the road rooting capability person.

any help would be greatly appreciated!
either
http://forum.androidcentral.com/cha...east-alpha-v4-voodoo-cwm-ed2-root-w-demo.html

or

http://forum.androidcentral.com/cha...4-root-any-build-w-voodoo-lagfix-updated.html

no easier way if you get over your fear and read and follow directions, it should be 3 downloads and 1 click away

I am also curious about this, because the Charge will be my first android phone. I'm assuming the Charge will have ED2 updated onto it once I pick up the phone (likely around late June), and I wanted to learn how to downgrade to ED1 also.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/cha...ck-rooted-ed1-downgrade-ed2-2011-05-18-a.html

droid-ed

May 20, 2011
Visit site
As of now the replacement phone for the wife came with ed1. With that being said. You can use Droid x's Altered beast Rom once your rooted if you want to change your themes get the new file system etc.

If you don't want to mess with that stuff you can use this method http://forum.androidcentral.com/cha...ck-rooted-ed1-downgrade-ed2-2011-05-18-a.html

to go from ed2 to ed1 then use the gingersnap method in the stickies above to gain root access. It is pretty pretty simple. You just need to read, then reread before you attempt to click things. If your a peruser and not a reader you might want somebody to look over your shoulder. It really is a simple as a few clicks of the mouse and following the directions.

RS
If you already have ED2, there is no need to go back to ED1 anymore. ED2 has been rooted!

For the bold, who are confident of wrestling with an Alpha version go with DroidXcon's AB4.

However, if you like the stock rom and only want to get rid of bloatware, you can use imnuts' debloated ED2 rom with root. He just posted a fairly decent version 4.1.

I was on ED1 with root. Applied jt1134's Voodoo kernel and imnuts' CWM. My phone jumped from 800's to 1400s on Quadrant score!! I can feel the difference how fast it is. Everything seems to be working!

I need to let it soak before I jump to ED2. But I have pretty much decided to stay with a version of stock rom.

Hope you find it helpful.

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
So, in order to root ED2, you have to apply a custom ROM? You can't just update it and root it that way?

Samsung phones are a lot different than Motorola phones as far as rooting...

rescueswimmer

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
So, in order to root ED2, you have to apply a custom ROM? You can't just update it and root it that way?

Samsung phones are a lot different than Motorola phones as far as rooting...

As of right now there is not a pure root for ed2,

Jt has the vodoo/ed2 root. but it seems hit or miss on how its flashing for some people. but it would give you the the better file system and any performance gain associated with it + you would be rooted with the factory setup.

Just messing around I rooted ed1 flashed AB4 turned off vodoo flashed the Ed2-ed1 downgrade, Then rooted it back. No issues. Hope this helps.

RS:)

Rice923

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like ED1 and ED2 can both be rooted in some way or another. Is there any particular advantage of having ED1 or ED2?

In all honesty, I'm not even sure what "ED" is, but I've seen the acronym used a lot here.

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like ED1 and ED2 can both be rooted in some way or another. Is there any particular advantage of having ED1 or ED2?

In all honesty, I'm not even sure what "ED" is, but I've seen the acronym used a lot here.

The ED1 and ED2 are basically "firmware builds" I guess, probably not the correct terminology. ED1 is what the phone was launched with, and ED2 was the most current update that "fixed" an issue or two.

I personally updated to ED2 and didn't see much of a change at all with how the phone performs, so I flashed back to ED1 and rooted.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci