EE4 Root Process and Order of installation of CWM, Voodoo, Gummy?

tarheelmike

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok here we go. I received a replacement Charge from VZW yesterday. Before I activate and go through the process of installing all my stuff, I was hoping for a little help. Firstly, if I activate and let the phone do all the OTA updates to get to EE4, can I the root the device. Can someone please tell me the steps I should do and what order to do them? I am assuming that I would follow this order of customization:

1. achieve root
2. install CWM recovery
3. install Gummy Kernel
4. install Voodoo Lagfix

I am sure that most of this has been previously covered, but I am attempting to consolidate this process for anyone new to root and customization. On my previous Charge, I did something to make a mess of it. I had recovered to ED1, achieved root, installed Voodoo, the attempted to install custom .zip with CWM and then the problems started. I really want to avoid making a royal mess of my new phone and would appreciate any help to do everything in the correct order.

onilosmada

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I would like a consolidated guide. I am new to all this and don't want to break my phone beyond repair. One problem I had specifically was placing the phone in download mode. I understand that this is achieved by removing the battery and holding power and volume down as you plug the phone into the computer. I was never able to put the phone into download mode with the battery removed. I was also unable to achieve root access under ED2. A guide from an experienced rooter would be nice. :)

Nackberry

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'd like a set of directions to root stock after EE4, too. Can somebody write it out for newbies? Still need to get rid of Verizon bloatware.

addictedtocars

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'd like a set of directions to root stock after EE4, too. Can somebody write it out for newbies? Still need to get rid of Verizon bloatware.

Ditto, I find the phone fine as is, just need to remove some bloatware and be sure I can take future updates without having to jump through hoops.

aschindler

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Ditto, I find the phone fine as is, just need to remove some bloatware and be sure I can take future updates without having to jump through hoops.
An easy solution if you just want to get the bloatware out of your apps drawer is to switch to LauncherPro and go into the settings and hide the unwanted apps.

After rooting my Charge and later bricking it with the EE4 update and learning far more than I cared to about odin, CWM, adb, Voodoo lagfix, and then a factory reset to ED1 to fix it, I'm leaving the bloatware there and just hiding the icons this time. I'll live vicariously by enjoying the screen shots from the custom roms.

Aixelsyd

May 29, 2011
Visit site

you ca not root the stock EE4 build. If you want to get to a point of getting rid of bloatware and be rooted
you need to flash the 3rd package from this link (http://forum.androidcentral.com/dro...s-packages-read-carfully-before-flashing.html). After which time you 'll need the sdcard fix and then should be good to go.

bellison41

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for a clear to the point set of directions. I am sure there are several people that need to hit the "thanks button". I'm not new to rooting or mods, but just not sure about a couple of items that you cleared up. I'm glad there is a working CWR to flash things with. I am much more comfortable going that route. Let the fun begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tarheelmike

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I just made a guide for how to do this:
[HOW-TO] Get a rooted version of EE4 - xda-developers

tarheelmike, it's actually only steps 2, 3, and 4. Rooting comes with the kernel.

I'll attempt to redo this with Android Central links when I get a chance.

Thank you sooooooo much for the directions and patience with all the beginners. I will try once again tomight to work this all out and will let you know how it goes.:)

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Glad it's working for people! Unfortunately, it got locked, so I can't post on it any more, but I'll still try to copy it over here.

phillthedrill

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone.

This may have been asked before, but I didn't see it, so I was just wondering since the phone only has 512mb of memory, does rooting help lower the memory/resources usage at all? Reason I was asking is because when it first came out in the verizon store with all of the bloatware attached of course, it was using about half or slightly more of the 512mb that it has. Or should I say 384, because part of it goes to the video right? I know 384 isn't much to play with, and I was just wondering about rooting lowering the usage. If anyone has any info, I would appreciate it, thanks.

--Phillip

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463