Sanity Check Please (for StockEE4->Gummy->StockEE4)

etruscan

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm brand new to android, and I'm about to give my first shot at custom kernel/rom/lagfix/rooting/etcetera.

I have a few questions before getting into what I think I should be doing, but my biggest question is "what am I missing from my process?"

Is there a straightforward to backup my phone, so I can restore it to its current state? If not, will EE4stock_DXC.tar restore me to something approaching normal if I mess things up but good?

As I understand it, the process for going from a stock phone with EE4 to GummyCharged is:

1) Download:
Odin
GummyCharged1.5
VoodooChargedKernel4.tar.md5
?New_CWM_Recovery.tar.md5? I don't know where this fits in.

2) Install proper Droid charge Drivers

3) Turn my phone off

4) Open Odin,

5) connect phone

6) turn phone on

7) (see phone connected to Odin) Flash VoodooChargeKernel4.tar.md5
Do I want to check Phone Bootloader Update?
Do I want to check Phone EFS Clear?
VoodooChargeKernel4.tar.md5 is placed in the PDA location?

8) ? (phone autorestarts since that is left checked?), wait 15 minutes.

9) when phone remounts in Odin, I choose GummyCharged and flash
With what options though?

10) I am now done?

Gummy -> Stock

(with phone disconnected from comp)
1) Boot into "recovery"
How do I do this?

2) Follow?: http://forum.androidcentral.com/cha...sing-cwm-voodoo-june-5-2011-a.html#post961988

3) Turn Phone off

4) Connect phone to computer

5) Open Odin

6) turn Phone on

7) Flash either my backup (if I figure out how to make one) or EE4stock_DXC.tar

8) Dance

So, is this a rough approximation of going to/from GummyBreak? What am I missing? How do I fix this?

Thank you for any and all help. I'm eager to play around with this (and to get root to see about more fine grained permission access for applications), but would rather not nuke my new phone.

Last edited:

memtenn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
7) (see phone connected to Odin) Flash VoodooChargeKernel4.tar.md5
Do I want to check Phone Bootloader Update?
Do I want to check Phone EFS Clear?
VoodooChargeKernel4.tar.md5 is placed in the PDA location?

8) ? (phone autorestarts since that is left checked?), wait 15 minutes.

9) when phone remounts in Odin, I choose GummyCharged and flash
With what options though?

10) I am now done?

Gummie is a zip not a rar file. so you do not flash it in odin. you only flash voodoo and CWM. do not check anything. auto reboot and time should be already checked.

memtenn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
after you flash voodoo and the new CWM. let you phone boot up all the way. then you want to power off your phone and put it in recovery and flash gummy.

memtenn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

etruscan

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the help and pointers. In the end, something went wrong (I suspect user error) trying to flash CWM, and I got the rather scary " X ? X" icon, with I think a man and a computer. I flashed the CWM + Voodoo + Deodexed .tar file from the EE4 files, and stopped there. For any other complete novices out there, this is the way to go. Just go into odin, flash one multi-component ROM, and you've set up all the initially intimidating voodoo + CWM stuff.

The GummyCharge install is clear enough, but for now I'm happy with root. I would like to move remove some apps in a manner where I can eventually get more updates. Is this best done by renaming them (my first thought was that this would be easy, but they're listed as read-only files) or just by removing them and restoring from a stock image if I want to update OTA later?

Also, the list I'm planning to get rid of are: 411Search, BackupAssistant, Bitbop, Blockbuster, Browser, BussiesNow, CityID, ConverseIM, Dlna, FullbatPopup, GameLauncher, GuidedTour, InfoAlarm, LiveWallpapers, MyFiles, NewBayVault, OzEmail, Protips, Rhapsody, RockBand, SamsungSetupWizard, SamsungWidget (all 3), SDM, ,SnsAccount, SnsProvider, TATLiveWallpaper (all 4), TuneWiki, VCast-gravity, vnav

Am I going to seriously regret moving any of those (can't boot/lost major function)?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon