Hey everyone -

I've been trying to flash voodoo/lagfix and recovery cwm and each fail. Each time i have to re-flash the stockrootedED1 or I can't boot up my phone.

I've tried starting both from a StockRootedED1 and the OTA EE4; both same result.

Any suggestions? Thanks
    06-12-2011 08:59 PM
    I am decidedly a novice, but after repeatedly failing to get CWM (6/11/11 version) to flash from Odin, I flashed the 3rd file from this thread (I was at stock EE4), and got both Voodoo and CWM straight away.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/droi...-flashing.html

YMMV, and I have no clue why that worked for me.
    06-12-2011 09:03 PM
    Hey everyone -

I've been trying to flash voodoo/lagfix and recovery cwm and each fail. Each time i have to re-flash the stockrootedED1 or I can't boot up my phone.

I've tried starting both from a StockRootedED1 and the OTA EE4; both same result.

Any suggestions? Thanks
    Which one you trying to flash? I had nothing but issues with Jt's stuff. Then tried Imnuts voodoo kernel & CWR that he did which is dated 6/11/11 and had no trouble with it.
    06-13-2011 08:36 AM
    None of these is working. Right now, my base is StockRootED1. I've tried to unroot it using DroidX's Start_Unroot tool to possibly start fresh from an unrooted ED1, but that doesn't even work. In DroidX's tool, when I enter the code into the command prompt (after passing the "su" stage), I get an error, and from then on I can't get passed the "su" stage (says something like "su not found," but i know I have superuser installed).

So, I don't seem to be able to flash any kernals/ROMs on my phone except the StockRootED1, and I can't unroot after flashing it.

Suggestions? Thanks guys.
    06-14-2011 09:47 PM
    I just got my phone today so I have been reading A BOAT LOAD since I am into the rooting thing. Long story short, rooted, soft bricked, fixed, soft bricked, read a lot more, fixed it all now I am rooted running a debloat of EE4. I will try and help you out once I get home, in about 10 minutes.
    06-14-2011 10:04 PM
    are you using ODIN??
    06-14-2011 10:08 PM
    Yes, I am using ODIN. Makes the process decently simple. Firing up laptop now. Are you able to use ODIN?
    06-14-2011 10:11 PM
    are you using ODIN??
    yes i'm using ODIN
    06-15-2011 07:44 AM
    ODIN can be way picky from what I've seen as I had issue after the OTA and trying to get back to a rooted build with CWR & a voodoo kernel. Long story short after soft bricking and having everything fail I power the device off. Reboot the comp, once it was running Clrl Alt Delete windows and close out anything running. Specially Anti-Virus. After doing so I opened ODIN to then put the device in download mode for flashing. However this time I used a different USB port and let it re-setup the drivers and stuff. Once I did that and flashed all was good to go again as I was getting a little pissed off to say the least seeing as I had just used ODIN without a problem. .
    06-15-2011 08:32 AM
    ODIN can be way picky from what I've seen as I had issue after the OTA and trying to get back to a rooted build with CWR & a voodoo kernel. Long story short after soft bricking and having everything fail I power the device off. Reboot the comp, once it was running Clrl Alt Delete windows and close out anything running. Specially Anti-Virus. After doing so I opened ODIN to then put the device in download mode for flashing. However this time I used a different USB port and let it re-setup the drivers and stuff. Once I did that and flashed all was good to go again as I was getting a little pissed off to say the least seeing as I had just used ODIN without a problem. .
    What were you running when you had a successful CWR&Voodoo flash? I haven't tried a different USB port yet; I guess I'll try that although I don't see how that would make a difference lol.

If all else fails, how can I just simply do a complete wipe back to stock everything, to effectively make the phone brand new? Don't mind losing all my data, etc, as everything is stored on Google. I remember trying to do the wipe/data factory reset option (or whatever its called) in recovery mode, and I had a very scary stall mid-wipe and had to pull the battery and reflash StockRootedED1 (once again, the only thing I can flash through ODIN is the StockRootedED1).
    06-15-2011 09:28 AM
    Well originally I was running Altered Beast v4 with Imnuts PBJ kernel and lagfix enabled. Seeign as OTA came out I wanted to start fresh and get updated. First thing to do was go back into CWR and DISABLE lagfix. Once that was done I then flashed StockRootedED1 using ODIN. Once that was done and I rebooted to make sure all was good to go I downloaded the EE4 *.zip file ( ie actual OTA update). I renamed it to update.zip and put it in the root directory of the sdcard. from there booted into stock recovery and installed the update.zip which got me currently but I had no root anymore needless to say. Once I knew all was good to go I went and downloaded Imnuts's newest recovery from 6/11/11 as well. I then powered the device down and used ODIN to flash the newest recovery from Imnuts. When it finished and I first booted it boot into the new recovery ( ie yellow one) before hitting reboot I installed Imnuts's PBJ voodoo kernel and was good to go.

As fro getting back to full stock. Just flash the StockRootedED1 file to the device and reboot. Once booted you should get the notification of the OTA update. Accept it and it will update which in turn will wipe out root access and then you are current on the Stock software.
    06-15-2011 09:54 AM
    Follow this guide:
    [HOW-TO] Get a rooted version of EE4 - xda-developers

Should work from any stock ROM.
    Aixelsyd likes this.
    06-15-2011 10:01 AM
    I knew there was a thread around just couldn't remember where I saw it at.
    06-15-2011 10:07 AM
    Well I flashed the CRW and it passed in ODIN. But when I reboot into recovery its still the same as if CRW wasnt flashed. It's as if it's still in stock, with no "install .zip from sdcard," etc. suggestions?

Sorry for the constant questions. I've been doing this stuff for a couple years now, but for some reason I cant figure this out.
    06-15-2011 11:40 AM
    Well I flashed the CRW and it passed in ODIN. But when I reboot into recovery its still the same as if CRW wasnt flashed. It's as if it's still in stock, with no "install .zip from sdcard," etc. suggestions?

Sorry for the constant questions. I've been doing this stuff for a couple years now, but for some reason I cant figure this out.
    Silly question after flashing CWR and it passes on first boot is it taking you right into recovery or are you rebooting the device fully. Reason I ask is you MUST flash a custom kernel before the first boot or else CWR gets overwritten with stock recovery again.
    06-15-2011 11:52 AM

As Aixelsyd said, the stock Samsung kernel will overwrite your recovery with the stock one on every boot. That threw me, too! Never seen that on any of my other Android gizmos.
    06-15-2011 11:57 AM
    Silly question after flashing CWR and it passes on first boot is it taking you right into recovery or are you rebooting the device fully. Reason I ask is you MUST flash a custom kernel before the first boot or else CWR gets overwritten with stock recovery again.
    Ah ok that must be my mistake. I AM fully booting up before I install the custom kernel.

However, I was under the impression that inmuts CWR included the voodoo kernel? Could be wrong..

Will try this in a little bit and let you know how it works. thanks guys
    06-15-2011 12:31 PM
    Ah ok that must be my mistake. I AM fully booting up before I install the custom kernel.

However, I was under the impression that inmuts CWR included the voodoo kernel? Could be wrong..

No, it's CWM by itself. You have to install the PBJ kernel separately.
    06-15-2011 12:42 PM

I'll almost bet that is the issue you have been having. And if you try again and then install the PBJ kernel before first boot you should be golden.

Don't feel bad tho I did it as well when first messing around like Chadness mentioned also doing it. Plz let us know tho how it works out as I'm curious if that was the issue or not.
    06-15-2011 01:25 PM
    I'll almost bet that is the issue you have been having. And if you try again and then install the PBJ kernel before first boot you should be golden.

Don't feel bad tho I did it as well when first messing around like Chadness mentioned also doing it. Plz let us know tho how it works out as I'm curious if that was the issue or not.
    Got it all up and running! I suppose my problem was 1.) (maybe) that I didn't try using a different USB port when trying to flash CWM, and 2.) that after successfully flashing CWM, I booted my device up before installing the PBJ kernel. I guess intuitively I felt safer booting up my phone before installing anything further after flashing CWM (to make sure that I at least have some sort of flash on there). But ya everything is working great, so thanks a lot guys.

Two further questions: is it now safe to create a backup via recovery (I have the most recent inmuts recovery flashed), and also, I havent had my calendar for a while. Someone linked me a calendar.apk a couple days ago; should I just load that onto my SDcard and "install .zip from sdcard" via recovery? Thanks.
    06-15-2011 02:28 PM
    Awesome glad you got it working correctly now.

As for the backup don't bother the backup/restore function does not work correctly in CWR yet. And if you do a restore it will brick the device. So you are better off not even making one so you don't by accident restore it and then really brick the device. Some have been saved and others have not been saved last I read on it.

As for the Calendar I can't really say myself but in reality it can't hurt it if you did install it.
    06-15-2011 02:37 PM
    Awesome glad you got it working correctly now.

As for the backup don't bother the backup/restore function does not work correctly in CWR yet. And if you do a restore it will brick the device. So you are better off not even making one so you don't by accident restore it and then really brick the device. Some have been saved and others have not been saved last I read on it.

As for the Calendar I can't really say myself but in reality it can't hurt it if you did install it.
    I think you can now do backup/restores with the new inmuts. Here's the thread that says it's been fixed:

[RECOVERY][6-11-11]Clockwork Mod Recovery - xda-developers

Before I try, can anyone confirm that it works?
    06-15-2011 02:57 PM
    I think you can now do backup/restores with the new inmuts. Here's the thread that says it's been fixed:

[RECOVERY][6-11-11]Clockwork Mod Recovery - xda-developers

Before I try, can anyone confirm that it works?

Read that more carefully Veregund it says somethine like... after the crossed out back/restore is listed it says: "Should no longer be an option you can see"

sorry i wish it was fixed too, heres hoping for the next release
    06-15-2011 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD