I have a Verizon Charge that I paid to have rooted and "Altered Beast" installed. I was told not to do any updates and I said no 100 times in the last 3 days. Today by mistake I clicked the notification and then had no way out. I decided to turn off the phone instead of saying yes to the update. When it was rebooting it started doing something with the SD card and there was a progress bar that I assume was the update. I shut it off before the progress bar completed and now I don't know what to do. If I turn it back on will it be a brick? Is there and way to fix it or am I out $600?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give a clueless noob (me).

Joe
    06-14-2011 05:53 AM
    I have a Verizon Charge that I paid to have rooted and "Altered Beast" installed. I was told not to do any updates and I said no 100 times in the last 3 days. Today by mistake I clicked the notification and then had no way out. I decided to turn off the phone instead of saying yes to the update. When it was rebooting it started doing something with the SD card and there was a progress bar that I assume was the update. I shut it off before the progress bar completed and now I don't know what to do. If I turn it back on will it be a brick? Is there and way to fix it or am I out $600?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give a clueless noob (me).

Joe
    ok first of all the person who charged you to root your phone should be pistol whipped!!! second you should be slapped for paying. ac is here with nearly 24/7 support of people just like you. there are step by step instructions on how to root and install custom roms.

not thats off my chest, lest move on.

do this first:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/droi...1-05-18-a.html
    that will get you to ed1 stock.

other stuff to read and do:
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/droi...ingersnap.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/droi...-5-2011-a.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/droi...-recovery.html

Please read all theses and anything else you can find. this isnt hard to do if you do your home work first.

and no, you do not have a brick. its almost impossible to hard brick your phone, ive tried.
    junksecret likes this.
    06-14-2011 07:15 AM
    Also when ever you pull the battery the phone will always run a sd card scan when it boots up.

It needs to find what files you have (music, video, pictures, wallpaper, ect.) that is normal.
    junksecret likes this.
    06-14-2011 09:03 AM
    use odin to flash back to stock rooted ED1 then follow the OTA ee4 update.

From there you can read edu threads on how to flash custom kerners and roms and root.

If you need help, pm me.
    junksecret likes this.
    06-14-2011 09:50 AM
    Thanks for the excellent replies, this is a great community of people!
    06-15-2011 03:11 AM
    honestly, even if you would have tried to install the update, it probably would have failed. so don't worry, you're okay
    06-15-2011 09:56 AM
    But listen, before you downgrade to ED1, you must disable Voodoo.

To do this, please boot into CWM (ClockwordMod Recovery) - by turning off your phone, and then simultaneously holding volume up, power, and your home key. You'll see a menu in red, and scroll down to Voodoo, and then select disable lagfix. This MUST be done before you flash back to ED1... as its NonVoodoo. You'll know it is disabled because when you reboot it, you'll hear a female robot voice talking. It will take about 5 mins or so, but she'll eventually say that lagfix is disabled. Then flash away!
    06-15-2011 10:00 AM
    you guys are funny, everyone is telling him how to downgrade and update and flash ROMs but I think he should start with the basic......turn the phone on and see what you have

I am pretty sure he has not even turned it on to see what it did, might not have to do anything

some people are more comfortable paying for things, I know I paid to have an xbox flashed before, I have also done it on my own but didnt want to do it 2nd time around so I paid a guy.

My brother in law paid someone to change a flat because he could not get the lugs off......turned out it was a hub cap with those fake looking lugs on it
    06-15-2011 04:26 PM