Needing help upgrading ED2 to EE4.

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I can read all the info I want on this site, and still cannot understand what it all means. Kernals is replacing the actual (pretty much), OS of the phone. And a ROM is replacing the actual look, similar to a Windows desktop theme?

When installing Gummy, how will I be able to install the lagfix? Or is that a totally different thing?

I'll get to work on installing clockwork on my phone.

To get Gummy to install, I just put the .zip file on my sdcard and navigate to it through clockwork?

Where do you get your PBJT kernals?

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes. The way to boot into this to apply any changes, and don't go hog wild yet, is to power phone off, hold down the power, home and volume up button, wait for the second Samsung logo to flash, then let go. Then you'll see what is CWM.. in yellow writing I presume.

I got a blue menu. It says "Android system recovery <3e> at the top.

Is this cwm or no?

superstar1213

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Lets see if I can explain this right. The ROM is basically the framework of the phone.. all of its apps, look and scheme. Its kind of like a permanent memory that looks the same every time you boot up the phone, and isn't lost upon shut down. The kernel on the other hand, is the central head of the phone, telling the hardware how to act with the software. When your phone receives a text message, the kernel tells the phone to ring.. or vibrate. It can also be underclocked, to give better battery life, or overclocked to make your phone really fast.

About the lagfix. I don't think you'll have to worry about enabling it.. but I'd read the post itself to see what the OP says. You will install it through CWM only. And I'll have to surf XDA for a link to the PBJ kernel. Hope that helps..

Reactions: tkm20

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I loaded cwm with ODIN with SUCCESS. I went to do the following; and still received the blue menu:

Boot in to recovery by holding down the Home key, the Up volume key, and the power button. After you see "SAMSUNG" you can let go of the power button, but continue to hold the home key and up volume until you are in recovery.

I got that from xda...

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Not a problem. I finished everything. Have both PBJT and Gummy installed. Thanks again for your help.

I'm running the same thing and it kicks ass. I'm quite happy and very thankful for the patience and help from the guys on this site. :cool:

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm running the same thing and it kicks ass. I'm quite happy and very thankful for the patience and help from the guys on this site. :cool:

I agree. Top notch support. That's what makes me keep coming back. I feel like I'm almost addicted to this site...almost ha

extheflow

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I loaded cwm with ODIN with SUCCESS. I went to do the following; and still received the blue menu:

Boot in to recovery by holding down the Home key, the Up volume key, and the power button. After you see "SAMSUNG" you can let go of the power button, but continue to hold the home key and up volume until you are in recovery.

I got that from xda...

I'm having this issue, how was it resolved?

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I had to push cwm to odin until I got another "success" and got it that way. Even though it says success, doesn't mean that it's always there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21