10-26-2011 12:47 PM
152 1234 ...
tools
    Would this be doable if I have no experience rooting, have little phone/CPU knowledge and would be majorly f'ed if I mess up the phone?
    06-17-2011 07:24 PM
    thanks Chadness...followed your instructions and was able to get root without a hitch.

I do however have a question...How can I tell I have voodoo enabled. Every time I select Enable...it says "Voodoo lagfix is actually: disabled...
    next boot: disabled."

Can someone clarify this? did I miss something? Thanks again
    I'm having the same issue. No idea why.
    06-18-2011 06:09 AM
    I'm having the same issue. No idea why.
    You probably still have the 'disable-lagfix' file in your Voodoo folder on the SD card from when you disabled it to downgrade and get the EE4 update. You guys should just plug the phone up to your computer, open the 'Voodoo' folder on there. Delete the file called 'disable-lagfix'. Reboot into recovery, click to enable lagfix. Reboot, and you should hear the woman moving you over.
    06-18-2011 11:11 AM
    You probably still have the 'disable-lagfix' file in your Voodoo folder on the SD card from when you disabled it to downgrade and get the EE4 update. You guys should just plug the phone up to your computer, open the 'Voodoo' folder on there. Delete the file called 'disable-lagfix'. Reboot into recovery, click to enable lagfix. Reboot, and you should hear the woman moving you over.
    this wasn't the case...there was no ' disable-lagfix' folder...i actually had to add one to disable fix. I'm not able to enable or disable through CWM... I have to add ' disable-fix' to turn off lag fix and use app to enable it.
    06-18-2011 12:09 PM
    How long should this take start-to-finish? Also, can it be done in increments......or do I need to go all the way once I get started? Thanks!
    06-18-2011 03:36 PM
    thanks Chadness...followed your instructions and was able to get root without a hitch.

I do however have a question...How can I tell I have voodoo enabled. Every time I select Enable...it says "Voodoo lagfix is actually: disabled...
    next boot: disabled."

Can someone clarify this? did I miss something? Thanks again
    I think that's one of the quirks with CWM. You can open up terminal emulator and type in 'mount' You'll see a whole bunch of mumbo jumbo on the screen. The first couple lines you should see 'ext4' in somewhere in there. That means it's enabled. Or you can run a quadrant score test. If you're in the 1500's, lagfix is enabled.
    06-18-2011 04:49 PM
    How long should this take start-to-finish? Also, can it be done in increments......or do I need to go all the way once I get started? Thanks!
    My total time was approx 15 mins or so. That was flashing CWM w/ ODIN, flashing PBJT kernel (also enabled voodoo lagfix which took about 5 mins by itself) w/ CWM and flashing GummyCharged w/ CWM.

And no, you don't have to do everything all at once if you don't want to.
    06-18-2011 04:52 PM
    Thanks, Halo! I'm starting with a stock EE4 and want to set mine up with PBJT kernel for sure and possibly GC 1.75 ROM, as I see yours is. New to Android and rooting. Got pretty good at messing around with Blackberry, but this seems a lot more intimidating!
    06-19-2011 09:46 PM
    I would like to start out by saying, amazing! You have babystepped me through my first root and it was laughably simple now that I look back on it. You sir, are my hero!

With that said, I have flashed PBJT with voodoo lagfix and gummycharged. I did not anticipate that backup assistant was going to be removed from the device (I know bloat was taken off, didn't even realize this was considered bloat). Now I have no idea how to restore my contacts because you can't seem to download backup assistant from anywhere, and the contacts are not saved to my sim card. Is there any help for me or am I going to have to revert to stock in order to use backup assistant and save contacts to sim?
    06-19-2011 11:23 PM
    Need some help from the Pros, please. I am one of those odd souls who is just fine with Samsung TW. I had my phone rooted (ODIN) and had used Titanium Backup to Freeze much of the VZW Bloat.

I did, of course, lose root with the EE4 update. Which of the above steps will help me regain root but not change my kernel or ROM?

Little help, please? (And thank you.)
    06-20-2011 10:47 AM
    Need some help from the Pros, please. I am one of those odd souls who is just fine with Samsung TW. I had my phone rooted (ODIN) and had used Titanium Backup to Freeze much of the VZW Bloat.

I did, of course, lose root with the EE4 update. Which of the above steps will help me regain root but not change my kernel or ROM?

Little help, please? (And thank you.)

This is what I did for my wife. Stock ed1 ota to ee4. First thing you need to do is put keljars sd card fix on your phones SD card.

You can also put imnuts non vodoo pbj kernel on the card.

1. You need to flash via odin imnuts CVM "I cleared the cache after each step not sure if its necessary but did it anyway."

2. Reboot into CVM Then select install zip off of sd card option 3 or 4, 5 can't quite remember, Find the non vodoo pbj. Let that load I then rebooted.

3 Once that loaded I shutdown the phone and ran the Keljars sd card fix.

4. Once reloaded confirmed the wifes phone still had root then froze all the bloat.

If you flash CVM and do not add a custom kernel it will get overwritten when re booting the device.

Hope this helps.

If you booger something up you can always flash the ED1 rooted and ota back up. The wifes phone had some type of market/ Wifi bug when I would flash the EE4 update. So I did a master reset and flahsed the ed1 and fixed everything.

info over at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1107797
    RS
    chaddymoff likes this.
    06-20-2011 11:15 AM
    I'm having a bit of trouble. Read over the entire instructions twice, made sure I had everything right, but when I plug in my phone and hold down the volume key, I get the message on my phone "downloading do not turn off target" but nothing happens in odin... what could be the problem?

edit: I also get an error on my computer saying my usb drive has malfunctioned. don't know what that is..
    06-20-2011 01:04 PM
    i would just like to say that i accomplished this on 6/20/11 and all went amazingly well great how-to and got my new droid charge rooted a rearing to go
    06-20-2011 01:51 PM
    I'm having a bit of trouble. Read over the entire instructions twice, made sure I had everything right, but when I plug in my phone and hold down the volume key, I get the message on my phone "downloading do not turn off target" but nothing happens in odin... what could be the problem?
    Restart your computer make sure the usb cable is in place and make sure you have odin opened first before you try to go to download mode.
    06-20-2011 03:13 PM
    restarted my computer, tried again. same thing happened. says usb device not recognized, a usb device/drive has malfunctioned and nothing on odin
    06-20-2011 03:26 PM

With that said, I have flashed PBJT with voodoo lagfix and gummycharged. I did not anticipate that backup assistant was going to be removed from the device (I know bloat was taken off, didn't even realize this was considered bloat). Now I have no idea how to restore my contacts because you can't seem to download backup assistant from anywhere, and the contacts are not saved to my sim card. Is there any help for me or am I going to have to revert to stock in order to use backup assistant and save contacts to sim?
    Are you not using your google account to backup? All your contacts and info should be backed up in your gmail account. I think most people never use the backup assistant with android-based phones and thats why most ROM's strip it off.

Just sync to your gmail account - even if you don't use it for anything else beyond backup, all your contact info will be there waiting for you.
    06-20-2011 03:55 PM
    [QUOTE=kismayaz;1013302]restarted my computer, tried again. same thing happened. says usb device not recognized, a usb device/drive has malfunctioned and nothing on odin [/QUOTE

Make sure you have the Samsung drivers from Xcons posts then reinstall the drivers and try a different port.

Also when the phone is on can you connect and access your SD card? You are using the factory USB cable with no extensions?
    06-20-2011 04:21 PM
    i have the right drivers installed, reinstalled them 3 times now. i can access my sd card, and yes i'm using the factory usb cable, no extensions. different ports have same results.
    06-20-2011 04:35 PM
    If you load odin and with the phone. On does it find 3 ports or any at all. If not uninstall odin and try reinstalling odin

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    06-20-2011 08:42 PM
    I'm sorry, I don't understand your post. Odin does not install. When I downloaded it, it's just an exe file that opens into the odin gui.
    06-20-2011 09:35 PM
    Just fyi, danalo over at xda has wrapped this all into a single Odin package that can be flashed over whatever as long as you have EE4 basebands. I made a new thread with instructions here.
    06-20-2011 09:42 PM
    Thank you so much for this thread. This has got to because the most straightforward guide without any room for ambiguity or confusion. I have one small constructive criticism though. I suggest bolding the placement of files, whether they need to be on the PC or SD card. I thought those were very easy to miss or overlook but no big deal.

For those who are still wondering if they should install the voodoo lag fix, don't hesitate. With a straightforward guide like this, there's no reason to wait. If you just use one app at a time, you'll only notice an incremental improvement. If you're someone like me who uses GPS navigation while streaming music over 4g and a variety of other apps at the same time, the root plus lag fix is a no brainer. It completely sped up the loading whenever I switch screens between my music player, streaming app, email, or GPS navigation. The google maps also draw much faster during navigation and load up. This has completely sped up my phone. Thank you!

Sent from my SCH-I510
    06-21-2011 01:38 PM
    Are you not using your google account to backup? All your contacts and info should be backed up in your gmail account. I think most people never use the backup assistant with android-based phones and thats why most ROM's strip it off.

Just sync to your gmail account - even if you don't use it for anything else beyond backup, all your contact info will be there waiting for you.
    When I got my phone, the rep used BackupAssistant, and I didn't know at the time that you could use gmail to backup contacts. I'm not sure if I'm doing this properly, but I tried "Contacts data sync" in Contacts and it didn't do anything. I also have the contact sync checkbox in "Accounts & Sync" checked. It says that it last sync'd 20 mins ago. Since I got my phone, I had added one contact, and when I rooted I got that one (and only one) contact back. Very confused, but it seems like that was the only contact that had been saved.
    06-21-2011 01:48 PM
    After installing and doing everything I want, I turned off my phone, and turned it back on while holding up + home keys. The boot menu screen says lagfix is "disabled" when in fact I downloaded the correct lagfix file from the OP. Is this just inaccurate or is voodoo lagfix truly disabled? I was unable to enable it despite trying to switch it ON inside the boot menu screen.
    06-25-2011 11:50 AM
    This will be my first root(ing?) and just have a quick question. If I want to use the GC ROM then do I need the PBJT voodoo lagfix kernel? Wouldn't that just be redundant? Based on what they are saying on the below thread there should be a performance increase without the voodoo lagfix.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/droi...-2011-a-2.html
    06-25-2011 11:56 AM
152 1234 ...