[HOW-TO] Get a rooted version of EE4

monie

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. I got the titanium backup pro since the free version doesn't allow you to freeze apps but freezing the apps was a good idea. And rooted my phone yesterday without a ROM and everything came out fine so thanks chadness for the easy step by step instructions. Still got a lot to learn but hopefully you guys will help me with that :)

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
@mboverst - glad to help!

@monie - no kidding, I could spend all day for months just learning about this stuff. I haven't even taken a stab at making a mod or a theme yet, because I know if I do I won't have a life left :)

May 31, 2011
Visit site
thanks Chadness...followed your instructions and was able to get root without a hitch.

I do however have a question...How can I tell I have voodoo enabled. Every time I select Enable...it says "Voodoo lagfix is actually: disabled...
next boot: disabled."

Can someone clarify this? did I miss something? Thanks again

prodigy

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Would this be doable if I have no experience rooting, have little phone/CPU knowledge and would be majorly f'ed if I mess up the phone?

squid267

May 22, 2011
Visit site
thanks Chadness...followed your instructions and was able to get root without a hitch.

I do however have a question...How can I tell I have voodoo enabled. Every time I select Enable...it says "Voodoo lagfix is actually: disabled...

I'm having the same issue. No idea why.

mboverst

May 15, 2011
plus.google.com
I'm having the same issue. No idea why.

You probably still have the 'disable-lagfix' file in your Voodoo folder on the SD card from when you disabled it to downgrade and get the EE4 update. You guys should just plug the phone up to your computer, open the 'Voodoo' folder on there. Delete the file called 'disable-lagfix'. Reboot into recovery, click to enable lagfix. Reboot, and you should hear the woman moving you over.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
You probably still have the 'disable-lagfix' file in your Voodoo folder on the SD card from when you disabled it to downgrade and get the EE4 update. You guys should just plug the phone up to your computer, open the 'Voodoo' folder on there. Delete the file called 'disable-lagfix'. Reboot into recovery, click to enable lagfix. Reboot, and you should hear the woman moving you over.
this wasn't the case...there was no ' disable-lagfix' folder...i actually had to add one to disable fix. I'm not able to enable or disable through CWM... I have to add ' disable-fix' to turn off lag fix and use app to enable it.

kthom49

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
How long should this take start-to-finish? Also, can it be done in increments......or do I need to go all the way once I get started? Thanks!

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I think that's one of the quirks with CWM. You can open up terminal emulator and type in 'mount' You'll see a whole bunch of mumbo jumbo on the screen. The first couple lines you should see 'ext4' in somewhere in there. That means it's enabled. Or you can run a quadrant score test. If you're in the 1500's, lagfix is enabled.

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
How long should this take start-to-finish? Also, can it be done in increments......or do I need to go all the way once I get started? Thanks!

My total time was approx 15 mins or so. That was flashing CWM w/ ODIN, flashing PBJT kernel (also enabled voodoo lagfix which took about 5 mins by itself) w/ CWM and flashing GummyCharged w/ CWM.

And no, you don't have to do everything all at once if you don't want to.

kthom49

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Halo! I'm starting with a stock EE4 and want to set mine up with PBJT kernel for sure and possibly GC 1.75 ROM, as I see yours is. New to Android and rooting. Got pretty good at messing around with Blackberry, but this seems a lot more intimidating!

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I would like to start out by saying, amazing! You have babystepped me through my first root and it was laughably simple now that I look back on it. You sir, are my hero!

With that said, I have flashed PBJT with voodoo lagfix and gummycharged. I did not anticipate that backup assistant was going to be removed from the device (I know bloat was taken off, didn't even realize this was considered bloat). Now I have no idea how to restore my contacts because you can't seem to download backup assistant from anywhere, and the contacts are not saved to my sim card. Is there any help for me or am I going to have to revert to stock in order to use backup assistant and save contacts to sim?

chaddymoff

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Need some help from the Pros, please. I am one of those odd souls who is just fine with Samsung TW. I had my phone rooted (ODIN) and had used Titanium Backup to Freeze much of the VZW Bloat.

I did, of course, lose root with the EE4 update. Which of the above steps will help me regain root but not change my kernel or ROM?

Little help, please? (And thank you.) :)

rescueswimmer

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Need some help from the Pros, please. I am one of those odd souls who is just fine with Samsung TW. I had my phone rooted (ODIN) and had used Titanium Backup to Freeze much of the VZW Bloat.

I did, of course, lose root with the EE4 update. Which of the above steps will help me regain root but not change my kernel or ROM?

Little help, please? (And thank you.) :)

This is what I did for my wife. Stock ed1 ota to ee4. First thing you need to do is put keljars sd card fix on your phones SD card.

You can also put imnuts non vodoo pbj kernel on the card.

1. You need to flash via odin imnuts CVM "I cleared the cache after each step not sure if its necessary but did it anyway."

2. Reboot into CVM Then select install zip off of sd card option 3 or 4, 5 can't quite remember, Find the non vodoo pbj. Let that load I then rebooted.

3 Once that loaded I shutdown the phone and ran the Keljars sd card fix.

4. Once reloaded confirmed the wifes phone still had root then froze all the bloat.

If you flash CVM and do not add a custom kernel it will get overwritten when re booting the device.

Hope this helps.

If you booger something up you can always flash the ED1 rooted and ota back up. The wifes phone had some type of market/ Wifi bug when I would flash the EE4 update. So I did a master reset and flahsed the ed1 and fixed everything.

info over at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1107797
RS

Reactions: chaddymoff

kismayaz

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a bit of trouble. Read over the entire instructions twice, made sure I had everything right, but when I plug in my phone and hold down the volume key, I get the message on my phone "downloading do not turn off target" but nothing happens in odin... what could be the problem?

edit: I also get an error on my computer saying my usb drive has malfunctioned. don't know what that is..

Last edited:

Cranberryjeus

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
i would just like to say that i accomplished this on 6/20/11 and all went amazingly well great how-to and got my new droid charge rooted a rearing to go

Last edited:

rescueswimmer

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a bit of trouble. Read over the entire instructions twice, made sure I had everything right, but when I plug in my phone and hold down the volume key, I get the message on my phone "downloading do not turn off target" but nothing happens in odin... what could be the problem?

Restart your computer make sure the usb cable is in place and make sure you have odin opened first before you try to go to download mode.

kismayaz

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
restarted my computer, tried again. same thing happened. says usb device not recognized, a usb device/drive has malfunctioned and nothing on odin :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane