[HOW-TO] Get a rooted version of EE4

nopants

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
With that said, I have flashed PBJT with voodoo lagfix and gummycharged. I did not anticipate that backup assistant was going to be removed from the device (I know bloat was taken off, didn't even realize this was considered bloat). Now I have no idea how to restore my contacts because you can't seem to download backup assistant from anywhere, and the contacts are not saved to my sim card. Is there any help for me or am I going to have to revert to stock in order to use backup assistant and save contacts to sim?

Are you not using your google account to backup? All your contacts and info should be backed up in your gmail account. I think most people never use the backup assistant with android-based phones and thats why most ROM's strip it off.

Just sync to your gmail account - even if you don't use it for anything else beyond backup, all your contact info will be there waiting for you.

rescueswimmer

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
restarted my computer, tried again. same thing happened. says usb device not recognized, a usb device/drive has malfunctioned and nothing on odin :([/QUOTE

Make sure you have the Samsung drivers from Xcons posts then reinstall the drivers and try a different port.

Also when the phone is on can you connect and access your SD card? You are using the factory USB cable with no extensions?

kismayaz

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
i have the right drivers installed, reinstalled them 3 times now. i can access my sd card, and yes i'm using the factory usb cable, no extensions. different ports have same results.

rescueswimmer

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
If you load odin and with the phone. On does it find 3 ports or any at all. If not uninstall odin and try reinstalling odin

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

kismayaz

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, I don't understand your post. Odin does not install. When I downloaded it, it's just an exe file that opens into the odin gui.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Just fyi, danalo over at xda has wrapped this all into a single Odin package that can be flashed over whatever as long as you have EE4 basebands. I made a new thread with instructions here.

tintn00

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for this thread. This has got to because the most straightforward guide without any room for ambiguity or confusion. I have one small constructive criticism though. I suggest bolding the placement of files, whether they need to be on the PC or SD card. I thought those were very easy to miss or overlook but no big deal.

For those who are still wondering if they should install the voodoo lag fix, don't hesitate. With a straightforward guide like this, there's no reason to wait. If you just use one app at a time, you'll only notice an incremental improvement. If you're someone like me who uses GPS navigation while streaming music over 4g and a variety of other apps at the same time, the root plus lag fix is a no brainer. It completely sped up the loading whenever I switch screens between my music player, streaming app, email, or GPS navigation. The google maps also draw much faster during navigation and load up. This has completely sped up my phone. Thank you!

Sent from my SCH-I510

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Are you not using your google account to backup? All your contacts and info should be backed up in your gmail account. I think most people never use the backup assistant with android-based phones and thats why most ROM's strip it off.

Just sync to your gmail account - even if you don't use it for anything else beyond backup, all your contact info will be there waiting for you.

When I got my phone, the rep used BackupAssistant, and I didn't know at the time that you could use gmail to backup contacts. I'm not sure if I'm doing this properly, but I tried "Contacts data sync" in Contacts and it didn't do anything. I also have the contact sync checkbox in "Accounts & Sync" checked. It says that it last sync'd 20 mins ago. Since I got my phone, I had added one contact, and when I rooted I got that one (and only one) contact back. Very confused, but it seems like that was the only contact that had been saved. :(

tintn00

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
After installing and doing everything I want, I turned off my phone, and turned it back on while holding up + home keys. The boot menu screen says lagfix is "disabled" when in fact I downloaded the correct lagfix file from the OP. Is this just inaccurate or is voodoo lagfix truly disabled? I was unable to enable it despite trying to switch it ON inside the boot menu screen.

hooskins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
After installing and doing everything I want, I turned off my phone, and turned it back on while holding up + home keys. The boot menu screen says lagfix is "disabled" when in fact I downloaded the correct lagfix file from the OP. Is this just inaccurate or is voodoo lagfix truly disabled? I was unable to enable it despite trying to switch it ON inside the boot menu screen.

Don't you have to make sure you deleted the disable lag-fix file? Not sure exactly where it is located but recall some others having this issue.

hooskins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I will go ahead and echo what everyone has been saying in this thread: don't be scared it's easy! To put things in perspective, I am a noob who didn't know the full difference between a kernel and a ROM yesterday! Just read the guide on this thread carefully and read some of the stickies in the "Hacking" subforum here on AC to brush up on my knowledge.

I had no issues whatsoever and everything worked the first time. I would recommend that you drop the kernel and ROM in a folder beginning with an "A" on your SD card. Navigating in CWM can take some time if you have a ton of folders on your SD card (in my case tons of music). It's easier if you drop all your kernel/rom/etc files in one folder in the A's.

Thank you chadness for consolidating all this information..

1529 quadrant score fyi...

Last edited:

tintn00

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Don't you have to make sure you deleted the disable lag-fix file? Not sure exactly where it is located but recall some others having this issue.

The file doesn't exist. This is annoying. What's the point of doing all of this if the lagfix remains permanently disabled. Can someone please help?

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
First, my apologies to everyone I haven't been able to answer. I was on vacation and unplugged last week. Going to try to catch up, but 9 days of Charge dev is like an eternity....

The file doesn't exist. This is annoying. What's the point of doing all of this if the lagfix remains permanently disabled. Can someone please help?

The reporting of whether lagfix is enabled by CWM is really poor. The most reliable way to tell whether or not your file system was converted is to use terminal emulator. Download it from the market and run it. At the prompt, type:
mount
You should see a bunch of lines. Scroll up - the first 3 lines are rootfs, proc, and sys (I'm not sure if this varies from phone to phone). The 4th line should be for /system - it will read something like this:
Code:
/dev/block/stl10 /system ext4 ro,realtime,barrier=0,nobh,data=writeback,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
The part that says "/system" shows we are looking at your system files mount, and the part that says "ext4" shows that the file system is running as ext4, which means you have the lagfix enabled. If, on the other hand, it says rfs or anything else, you do NOT have the lagfix enabled.

Check that and let us know what it says.

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
This will be my first root(ing?) and just have a quick question. If I want to use the GC ROM then do I need the PBJT voodoo lagfix kernel? Wouldn't that just be redundant? Based on what they are saying on the below thread there should be a performance increase without the voodoo lagfix.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/dro...6-rom-ee4-gummycharged-1-8-6-22-2011-a-2.html

If you don't, you are running the stock kernel. I don't think it will even be rooted, then. The stock kernel will overwrite your custom recovery (CWM) with the stock recovery, so you will no longer be able to get in to CWM until you use Odin again. Also, while this ROM will be faster on its own just due to the debloating, it will be even faster with a custom kernel and with the lagfix enabled.

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
When I got my phone, the rep used BackupAssistant, and I didn't know at the time that you could use gmail to backup contacts. I'm not sure if I'm doing this properly, but I tried "Contacts data sync" in Contacts and it didn't do anything. I also have the contact sync checkbox in "Accounts & Sync" checked. It says that it last sync'd 20 mins ago. Since I got my phone, I had added one contact, and when I rooted I got that one (and only one) contact back. Very confused, but it seems like that was the only contact that had been saved. :(

Here it is from the original. not sure if you can just install and run this, or if you will have to copy it in to /system/apps with Root Explorer, then reboot your phone.

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
restarted my computer, tried again. same thing happened. says usb device not recognized, a usb device/drive has malfunctioned and nothing on odin :(

Do you have antivirus running?

Make sure you follow all the instructions under the Odin troubleshooting steps in the OP.

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend that you drop the kernel and ROM in a folder beginning with an "A" on your SD card. Navigating in CWM can take some time if you have a ton of folders on your SD card (in my case tons of music). It's easier if you drop all your kernel/rom/etc files in one folder in the A's.
I agree, and make sure it is capitalized, because it shows all the capitalized folders before the lower case ones. Though I don't have nearly so many subfolders, since I keep all my music in a different folder and not root.

hooskins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
First, my apologies to everyone I haven't been able to answer. I was on vacation and unplugged last week. Going to try to catch up, but 9 days of Charge dev is like an eternity....

The reporting of whether lagfix is enabled by CWM is really poor. The most reliable way to tell whether or not your file system was converted is to use terminal emulator. Download it from the market and run it. At the prompt, type:
mount
You should see a bunch of lines. Scroll up - the first 3 lines are rootfs, proc, and sys (I'm not sure if this varies from phone to phone). The 4th line should be for /system - it will read something like this:
Code:
/dev/block/stl10 /system ext4 ro,realtime,barrier=0,nobh,data=writeback,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
The part that says "/system" shows we are looking at your system files mount, and the part that says "ext4" shows that the file system is running as ext4, which means you have the lagfix enabled. If, on the other hand, it says rfs or anything else, you do NOT have the lagfix enabled.

Check that and let us know what it says.

Chadness, I think I have voodoo enabled but I see rfs in certain parts of the result. See efs rfs and preinstall rfs. I would clean this up but im posting from tapatalk. Thanks and I hope you enjoyed your vacation.

export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ $mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sys /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/stl10 /system ext4 ro,relatime,barrier=0,nobh,data=writeback,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /cache ext4 rw,noatime,barrier=0,nobh,data=writeback,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/stl11 /dbdata ext4 rw,noatime,barrier=0,nodelalloc,data=writeback,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /data ext4 rw,noatime,barrier=0,nobh,data=writeback,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
/dev/block/stl7 /mnt/.lfs j4fs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /preinstall rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:9 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:9 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0
/dev/block/dm-0 /mnt/asec/com.natenai.glowhockey2-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-1 /mnt/asec/ymst.android.homeswitcherfroyo-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-2 /mnt/asec/com.rastergrid.game.pocketsoccer-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-3 /mnt/asec/com.hz.game.forest-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-4 /mnt/asec/com.lineten.arseblog-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-5 /mnt/asec/mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser.Theme.Blue-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-6 /mnt/asec/net.vivekiyer.GAL-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-7 /mnt/asec/com.rerware.android.MyBackupRoot-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-8 /mnt/asec/org.zwanoo.android.speedtest-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
$

Last edited:

bsamuels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
followed directions and installed Kernal 2.6.32.9 imnuts@virtualbox#1 on Droid Charge firmware 2.2.1, Build SCH-1510.EE4 everything has gone well, also installed SDcard fix. Did not flash a new ROM. I am now having a problem connecting via USB to my computer(XP). I get IO error messages. Reinstalled drivers, but no help. Any suggestions?