[HOW-TO] Get a rooted version of EE4

kismayaz

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Still having the same issue. usb device not recognized/malfunctioned. I have followed each and every step in the instructions countless times. I can't find evidence of anyone else having this issue with this phone. Even tried using a brand new usb cable.

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Chadness, I think I have voodoo enabled but I see rfs in certain parts of the result. See efs rfs and preinstall rfs. I would clean this up but im posting from tapatalk. Thanks and I hope you enjoyed your vacation.
Yes, you have it enabled. It's only some of the directories that get converted - the ones that are heavily used and get the most benefit. Ones like /preinstall aren't really used so wouldn't give you an improvement.

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Still having the same issue. usb device not recognized/malfunctioned. I have followed each and every step in the instructions countless times. I can't find evidence of anyone else having this issue with this phone. Even tried using a brand new usb cable.

Have you tried a different computer?

jrimsa

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
THANK YOU!!!! I have GC running on my EE4 successfully thanks to you!!! Much faster and no bloatware... the phone I always dreamed of!! Hoping battery life will improve with this as well. :)

tintn00

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
After a week of using this, suddenly several programs are force closing every 5 minutes including my legally purchased Smart Keyboard, gapps, gmail, etc. I'm not entirely sure if rooting my phone is the problem or if it's my recent trial of using Open Garden wifi tether. Either case, can someone provide a link to reverse the root and reset/reinstall the stock firmware before I try rooting again? I used voodoo lagfix. I don't think it's the root that gave me problems since it's been fine for over a week. I personally think it's the latest program of Open Garden that messed things up. Any direction would be appreciated.

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Some newbie questions:

1. Do you perform the CWM installing with the battery out?
2. Is it true that rooted phones do not/cannot get OTA updates?
3. Can a phone be rooted w/out flashing the kernel or is that the basis of rooting?

Thank you

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
After a week of using this, suddenly several programs are force closing every 5 minutes including my legally purchased Smart Keyboard, gapps, gmail, etc. I'm not entirely sure if rooting my phone is the problem or if it's my recent trial of using Open Garden wifi tether. Either case, can someone provide a link to reverse the root and reset/reinstall the stock firmware before I try rooting again? I used voodoo lagfix. I don't think it's the root that gave me problems since it's been fine for over a week. I personally think it's the latest program of Open Garden that messed things up. Any direction would be appreciated.

If you just go in to CWM and do a system restore/data wipe, it will wipe everything out and start you with a freshly installed version of the ROM. It would be much quicker and simpler to try that first.

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Some newbie questions:

1. Do you perform the CWM installing with the battery out?
Yes, you need to have the battery out to be able to boot in to the "download" mode that works with Odin. However, I had to put the battery back in (after already being in download mode and connected to Odin) before it would successfully flash for me.
2. Is it true that rooted phones do not/cannot get OTA updates?
Not necessarily, but yes using this method (or any other supported for the Charge right now). If you were to simply root your stock install (no easy way to do just that right now) it would accept updates and you'd just lose root.
3. Can a phone be rooted w/out flashing the kernel or is that the basis of rooting?

Thank you
That's the basis for rooting on the Charge. You can do it without, but no one has developed a way to do that for EE4 right now.

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks chadness!

I'm new to android and to smart phones. I will wait a while till some of what you mentioned (get ota updates w/rotted phone and bypass kernel flash) does become available.

Last edited:

pezboy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
[/LIST]

Preliminary
  1. Download the Droid Charge Windows drivers here and install them.
  2. Download Odin on to your computer from here or here.
  3. Download the version of Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery you want to load and put it somewhere on your computer you can remember. Check nitsuj17's post here for the current choices, but as of June 15th, 2011, imnuts's version here was the only choice for a bug free EE4 experience.
  4. Download the rooted kernel you would like to use to get you root access, and put it somewhere on your phone's SD card. Check nitsuj17's post here for the current choices, but as of June 16th, 2011, imnuts's PeanutButta Jelly Time kernel and PeanutButta Jelly Time Overclocked kernel seem to work without requiring an SD card fix (there's been mixed results with this, you might run the fix anyways to be safe). This recommendation is only slightly influenced by the fact I'm eating honey chipotle peanuts while writing this. Choose either a Voodoo lagfix or non-lagfix version. The Voodoo lagfix should be faster, but will require you to convert back if you want to go back to stock. Here's an explanation of what the Voodoo lagfix is. (though this isn't a Galaxy S phone, it's the same concept).
  5. {Optional} Download the ROM you would like to use (if you want to load one) and put it on your phone's SD card (as well as any other fixed files the ROM author posted). Do this if 1) you want a deodexed ROM that can load custom system-wide themes (as opposed to Launcher themes), and/or 2) you would like a ROM that has the bloatware removed already, and/or 3) you would like whatever other improvements the ROM authors added. Again, check nitsuj17's post here for the current choices, but as of June 15th, the best options for EE4 are either the stock ROM that has been deodexed, GummyCHARGED 1.85, imnut's EE4 Debloated 4.2.1 ROM, or AC's Altered Beast Alpha 5 from DroidXcon. [These are all ROMs installed with CWM, so the instructions below will apply to that scenario, but you may run across a ROM that is installed via Odin. Just install those the same way you are being instructed to install CWM.]
  6. Potentially, you could install a pre-rooted ROM and be able to skip the kernel instead.
  7. As a safety precaution, download the file in this thread and save to your phone in case you have problems with your SD Card because of your new kernel.

Android noob here with stock EE4, never been rooted. I have been reading a lot about rooting and custom Roms and both are things I am excited to dive into. At this point, I want to focus on rooting and installing the VooDoo lagfix. I will focus on the custom Roms later.

I have 2 questions (so far) that I am still a little unclear on:

1. If I do preliminary steps 1-4, the steps for Installing CWM using Odin, and the steps for Installing kernel through CWM, can I stop there and end up with a rooted device on the faster file system, but with stock Rom?

2. It looks like the device wiping comes in when the custom ROM is installed. If I don't install a custom ROM, will my device be wiped during the process? I am really hoping to be able to root without losing game data so I can use Titanium to back everything up prior to getting into the ROM's.

Thanks in advance. I am a transfer member from Crackberry (don't miss my Storm 2) and I already feel like the AC community will be a good one.

Oh yeah! THANK you Chadness for the summary!!

Last edited:

hooskins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Chadness, I think I have voodoo enabled but I see rfs in certain parts of the result. See efs rfs and preinstall rfs. I would clean this up but im posting from tapatalk. Thanks and I hope you enjoyed your vacation.

export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ $mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sys /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/stl10 /system ext4 ro,relatime,barrier=0,nobh,data=writeback,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /cache ext4 rw,noatime,barrier=0,nobh,data=writeback,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/stl11 /dbdata ext4 rw,noatime,barrier=0,nodelalloc,data=writeback,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /data ext4 rw,noatime,barrier=0,nobh,data=writeback,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
/dev/block/stl7 /mnt/.lfs j4fs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /preinstall rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:9 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:9 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0
/dev/block/dm-0 /mnt/asec/com.natenai.glowhockey2-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-1 /mnt/asec/ymst.android.homeswitcherfroyo-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-2 /mnt/asec/com.rastergrid.game.pocketsoccer-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-3 /mnt/asec/com.hz.game.forest-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-4 /mnt/asec/com.lineten.arseblog-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-5 /mnt/asec/mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser.Theme.Blue-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-6 /mnt/asec/net.vivekiyer.GAL-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-7 /mnt/asec/com.rerware.android.MyBackupRoot-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-8 /mnt/asec/org.zwanoo.android.speedtest-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
$

Anyone?

edk218

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Android noob here with stock EE4, never been rooted. I have been reading a lot about rooting and custom Roms and both are things I am excited to dive into. At this point, I want to focus on rooting and installing the VooDoo lagfix. I will focus on the custom Roms later.

I have 2 questions (so far) that I am still a little unclear on:

1. If I do preliminary steps 1-4, the steps for Installing CWM using Odin, and the steps for Installing kernel through CWM, can I stop there and end up with a rooted device on the faster file system, but with stock Rom?

2. It looks like the device wiping comes in when the custom ROM is installed. If I don't install a custom ROM, will my device be wiped during the process? I am really hoping to be able to root without losing game data so I can use Titanium to back everything up prior to getting into the ROM's.

I am a fellow noob. My first time rooting a device coming from a jailbroken i-phone. I did what you describe in question 1 and did not install a custom ROM. I like launcher pro just fine and am taking this one step at a time. I do have super user access and have successfully backed up my phone and all data onto Titanium without any device wiping.

Hope this helps and thank you Chadness for the easy great instructions!

noobsickle

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I can't access my sd card when I plug my phone into my computer I followed all the instructions in the OP and made sure to install it right after I installed the KERNAL.

What other things can I do/try?

EDIT: I don't if I was supposed to do this earlier, but all I did was enable the USB debugging under the applications>development and now my computer can detect my SD fine. Is this normal?

Last edited:

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I can't access my sd card when I plug my phone into my computer I followed all the instructions in the OP and made sure to install it right after I installed the KERNAL.

What other things can I do/try?

EDIT: I don't if I was supposed to do this earlier, but all I did was enable the USB debugging under the applications>development and now my computer can detect my SD fine. Is this normal?

You can go into Settings>USB Settings and check "Ask On Connection" That's what I have mine set on and I have no problems at all.

kthom49

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok.....so I rooted with the PBJT kernel about a week ago. Quadrant score fluctuates between 1500-1600. :) Tonight I hijacked the wife's Charge and followed these instructions to root and flash PBJT......checked with Quadrant.......her first score was 1734! :eek:

Donkey Droid

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to Chadness (and everyone) for the ridiculous, life-stealing commitment to Charge hacking glory . . . Here's my situation, not sure how to proceed.

Had rooted ED1 Charge with some of the more obnoxious bloatware removed and decided it was time to really dig in. After updating to EE4, followed directions in this post for flashing Clockwork and PBJ kernel with the lagfix, decided to wait on the new ROM. All went smoothly. Had the SD card access error until I changed USB settings to ask on connection which cured problem. Confirmed with terminal emulator that lagfix is enabled.

BUT . . . NO ROOT!! Titanium Backup no longer works. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling TB to no avail. Rebooted phone with battery removal but root still gone. Gonna try re-flashing the kernel and the SD card patch, but I don't think that is problem. After that, it's flash Gummy Charged with fingers crossed just to check it out and see if root works for me. However, I'd really prefer sticking with the stock ROM right now.

People have posted the same no root issue in this thread, but I haven't seen anyone say if they've fixed it without a new ROM. All comments greatly appreciated . . .

Peace and happiness to all on Explosion Monday aka July 4th!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12