[HOW-TO] Get a rooted version of EE4

redskinsnut

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Have you installed the Samsung Drivers? If not get them here. If you have it could be Odin being picky. If Odin is being picky you can try Heimdall, it's a bit more technical so please get familiar with it before trying anything.

Oops. Maybe I didn't. What is iLivid? I just opened it and it looks like some sort of download center but I have nothing in it. I thought my drivers were in there. :confused:

I see like 4 or 5 different downloads for USB drivers. Do I download all of them?

Thanks

I am able to get the yellow Android dude digging inside a triangle on my phone currently when connecting via USB. Not sure if that necessarily means I have the necessary drivers

likuidxd

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Oops. Maybe I didn't. What is iLivid? I just opened it and it looks like some sort of download center but I have nothing in it. I thought my drivers were in there. :confused:

I see like 4 or 5 different downloads for USB drivers. Do I download all of them?

Thanks

I am able to get the yellow Android dude digging inside a triangle on my phone currently when connecting via USB. Not sure if that necessarily means I have the necessary drivers

They are all the same, pick what one will d/l faster for you. If you haven't installed drivers, your phone will not talk to your computer in d/l mode

EDIT: iLivid is a d/l manager, you don't need it

redskinsnut

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the driver and still the same situation. I am very jealous of the people on here who breezed through this process in 15 minutes. Maybe I should just stay unrooted. I love the phone as is but was hoping to enjoy it even more. :'(

likuidxd

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Tell me what build windows you're on. You may not have the correct .net patch. Anti virus programs running?? Service pack? Do you have developers java installed?

EDIT: I don't know if i will lose you here... but check this out if you have problems. Install development tools, drivers and commands. It may help, but in the long run you'll gain knowledge and this is another (more complicated) way to root your phone. Just a little something to have fun with if you're truely interested in the Android platform.

Last edited:

redskinsnut

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I am using Windows XP. It is my wife's laptop. I use a Macbook - lol

It looks like I had been attempting to do this with antivirus running even though I thought it was off.

I am in the Security Center. I disabled Firewall but I can not for the life of me figure out how to turn off Virus Protection.

Someone shoot me please.

likuidxd

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I am using Windows XP. It is my wife's laptop. I use a Macbook - lol

It looks like I had been attempting to do this with antivirus running even though I thought it was off.

I am in the Security Center. I disabled Firewall but I can not for the life of me figure out how to turn off Virus Protection.

Someone shoot me please.

Give me a half hour and I'll get something together for you, I just have to get to a real computer. I'll edit this post with the info you need. Do me a favor though and check your version of .NET framework for me.

Okay, make sure you have Visual C++ 2008 installed, the latest version of .NET framework for Windows XP (found on same site), USB debugging turned on, force close anti-virus (CTRL+ALT+DEL) and try different USB ports. Sorry man but if this doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you, you're SOL.

Last edited:

redskinsnut

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Liquid - Thanks for all of your help. I will give it another shot with your latest tips.

Vols - I finally figured out how to disable the anti-virus. Thanks

UPDATE: I have tried everything and I still have nothing coming up in the ID.com field even though my phone is in yellow triangle-Android guy digging- download mode.

Thanks for everyone's help. Like I said, I am very very happy with the phone as it is unrooted. Guess it just isn't meant to be.

Last edited:

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Liquid - Thanks for all of your help. I will give it another shot with your latest tips.

Vols - I finally figured out how to disable the anti-virus. Thanks

UPDATE: I have tried everything and I still have nothing coming up in the ID.com field even though my phone is in yellow triangle-Android guy digging- download mode.

Thanks for everyone's help. Like I said, I am very very happy with the phone as it is unrooted. Guess it just isn't meant to be.
ok folks this may not be apropirate for the forum, but i believe its something everyone should know.

once you root and if you allow google to maintain a backup, it doesnt matter what you go back to or how once you setup google for contacts etc.. look and you will see the SU icon..
i tested that icon, and some apps had to have SU allow to run..
i did everything i knew and installed over n over again to get my fassy back to basic stock for a return. i finally had to watch and stop google from bring back the root if i was fast enough. takes a few hit n misses with finger work but it can be done..or after going into PH with cpu, thru USB to delete about everything except Android and a couple more things, which i can not remember now.
and that folks is the only way you get back to a factory/verizon stock unrooted Ph.
or that happened to me.. i almost didnt catch it before i packed old fassy up for a new Charge..

likuidxd

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
ok folks this may not be apropirate for the forum, but i believe its something everyone should know.

once you root and if you allow google to maintain a backup, it doesnt matter what you go back to or how once you setup google for contacts etc.. look and you will see the SU icon..
i tested that icon, and some apps had to have SU allow to run..
i did everything i knew and installed over n over again to get my fassy back to basic stock for a return. i finally had to watch and stop google from bring back the root if i was fast enough. takes a few hit n misses with finger work but it can be done..or after going into PH with cpu, thru USB to delete about everything except Android and a couple more things, which i can not remember now.
and that folks is the only way you get back to a factory/verizon stock unrooted Ph.
or that happened to me.. i almost didnt catch it before i packed old fassy up for a new Charge..

Superuser.apk is located in the write protected folder system/apps. Your phone will not delete this on its own as it thinks it is a neccessary system file. Factory data reset will wipe this, and if you are taking your phone in to get a replacement, I recommend you do this anyway for privacy reasons. If you want to go back to stock, use root explorer to delete this apk and flash an unrooted full pckage md5 onto your phone and you should be just fine. I know little to nothing about the fascinate, but google backup does not backup system files, as far as I know, just contacts and purchases through the market.

samsuck

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Superuser.apk is located in the write protected folder system/apps. Your phone will not delete this on its own as it thinks it is a neccessary system file. Factory data reset will wipe this, and if you are taking your phone in to get a replacement, I recommend you do this anyway for privacy reasons. If you want to go back to stock, use root explorer to delete this apk and flash an unrooted full pckage md5 onto your phone and you should be just fine. I know little to nothing about the fascinate, but google backup does not backup system files, as far as I know, just contacts and purchases through the market.

Just wanted to let you guys know, I breezed through this in 20 minutes. I even rooted two droid charges sucessfully using this guide. It is the best one yet, very detailed. Big thanks to chadness.

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried this, installed CWM, it works. I put PeanutButterJellyTime kernel on my SD, GummyCharged on my SD, and SD card fix. I installed everything, forgot to wipe stuff first, decided to see if it would boot only to see it loop on the Samsung logo. I figured no biggie, I'll go wipe everything and re-install.. It's still boot looping.

Anyone with any ideas? Thanks a bunch.

likuidxd

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I tried this, installed CWM, it works. I put PeanutButterJellyTime kernel on my SD, GummyCharged on my SD, and SD card fix. I installed everything, forgot to wipe stuff first, decided to see if it would boot only to see it loop on the Samsung logo. I figured no biggie, I'll go wipe everything and re-install.. It's still boot looping.

Anyone with any ideas? Thanks a bunch.

Can you boot into recovery? HOME+VOL_UP+PWR

putney1477

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
What is the SD card fix? I see in the OP that I don't need it but then in the install directions it says to flash that?

I'm currently runnng Stock EE4 on my charge, non rooted.

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
What is the SD card fix? I see in the OP that I don't need it but then in the install directions it says to flash that?

I'm currently runnng Stock EE4 on my charge, non rooted.

If you're stock EE4 and non rooted, the sd card fix doesn't pertain to you. Some people were having user write errors while transferring files to/from the sd card fix. The patch fixes that.

Reactions: putney1477

kismayaz

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, you may remember me. I was having so much trouble getting my computer to recognize my phone in downloading mode. I ended up purchasing some new pci usb ports for unrelated reasons, and today, out of boredom decided to try and root my DC using those ports. BAM, it worked. Easy as cake. Took me maybe 15 minutes including waiting for my phone to install the voodoo lag fix. Thanks so much to the developers, and to chadness for taking the time to write this guide. I appreciate all your help.

Now I'll play with it all day and see how this thing runs :)

koala-czyk

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Did this last night..

Started stock EE4.

Changed Kernal to PBJ (not overclocked)

Did not change the ROM (didn't know what to change to yet so I was going to wait).

Downloaded Wifi tether, TB, and froze some apps.

Battery was at about 95% or fully charged last night. Woke up and it was at 29%.

What is up with that>???? Any idea? Wifi was not on, there were no apps running - Advanced task manager runs every hour.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Did this last night..

Started stock EE4.

Changed Kernal to PBJ (not overclocked)

Did not change the ROM (didn't know what to change to yet so I was going to wait).

Downloaded Wifi tether, TB, and froze some apps.

Battery was at about 95% or fully charged last night. Woke up and it was at 29%.

What is up with that>???? Any idea? Wifi was not on, there were no apps running - Advanced task manager runs every hour.

There's your problem. Unecessary and useless app that actually drains your battery more by having it. Ever notice that the apps that are closed with ATM seem to open again within the next minute? That's because android is designed have multiple apps running IDLE in the background for your convenience. Closing these apps just makes android think "hey, where'd they go?" and it consequently reopens them, which will ultimately drain your battery. Apps running idle do not consume battery and provide the convenience of opening quickly when you use them. Do some research on how the android OS manages RAM if you're uncomfortable with my explanation.

You are fortunate enough to have a Task Manager included with your device, courtesy Samsung. Use that to close any apps you have left running (hold the home button to quickly access Task Manager).

koala-czyk

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
There's your problem. Unecessary and useless app that actually drains your battery more by having it. Ever notice that the apps that are closed with ATM seem to open again within the next minute? That's because android is designed have multiple apps running IDLE in the background for your convenience. Closing these apps just makes android think "hey, where'd they go?" and it consequently reopens them, which will ultimately drain your battery. Apps running idle do not consume battery and provide the convenience of opening quickly when you use them. Do some research on how the android OS manages RAM if you're uncomfortable with my explanation.

You are fortunate enough to have a Task Manager included with your device, courtesy Samsung. Use that to close any apps you have left running (hold the home button to quickly access Task Manager).

Makes perfect sense. I have had this app in the past and it never drained my battery overnight. I will certainly remove and see if this helps.

putney1477

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I tried ODIN'ing CWM and it failed. I tried again but I can't even get the phone into DL mode......

this is what I did:
Open ODIN
plug in phone (battery out)
hold down down button.....DL mode doesnt come up.

Unplug everything
put battery back in and try to power up

Screen looks like this....white icon of phone with a white icon of compter but in between is an orange triange with exclamation point in the middle..

what should I do now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463