[HOW-TO] Get a rooted version of EE4

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I tried ODIN'ing CWM and it failed. I tried again but I can't even get the phone into DL mode......

this is what I did:
Open ODIN
plug in phone (battery out)
hold down down button.....DL mode doesnt come up.

Unplug everything
put battery back in and try to power up

Screen looks like this....white icon of phone with a white icon of compter but in between is an orange triange with exclamation point in the middle..

what should I do now?

Try going into download mode with the battery in the phone. Power off phone, leave battery in, open ODIN, hold volume down button on phone, connect to usb cord. For some reason, the Charge seems to go to download mode easier and better if battery is in.

Reactions: putney1477

putney1477

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Try going into download mode with the battery in the phone. Power off phone, leave battery in, open ODIN, hold volume down button on phone, connect to usb cord. For some reason, the Charge seems to go to download mode easier and better if battery is in.

Landshark....Verizon is sending me a new phone Monday. Should I try to fix the old one? What happens if I fix it? I can't send it back to Verizon lol. Maybe I can tinker with it.....I'd rather not flash on the new one that's coming. I'm petrified of flashing anything now :( it was so easy on the fassy.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

putney1477

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I think I am loosing my mind haha..... So, thank you landshark, I was able to get my phone into dlownload mode and install CWM with ODIN....the problem I am having now is I can't install zp from sd card, When I select it, I get what looks like a blue banana with hands, feet, eyes and a mouth. (I swear I am not drinking lol)

I'm stuck....and very sober! lol

PS does the phone have to be activated to do any of this? I'm on a loaner until the new one arrives on monday. So right now my charge isnt activated. I don't think that should have anything to do with it, but who knows. Also there is no sim card in the deactivated one.

putney1477

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Just ran into this also. Hit the power button when you see the blue banana. It then takes you to the next menu.

hmm this didn't work for me. I just odin'd CWM and trying to boot into recovery....I get that blue banana thing but if I hit power it goes to the previous screen.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
hmm this didn't work for me. I just odin'd CWM and trying to boot into recovery....I get that blue banana thing but if I hit power it goes to the previous screen.

Use the volume down button to scroll through the entire menu three times and you will see a message pop up on the screen saying back button is now enabled. After that, all the buttons will function properly.

indyssee

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Did this last night..

Started stock EE4.

Changed Kernal to PBJ (not overclocked)

Did not change the ROM (didn't know what to change to yet so I was going to wait).

Downloaded Wifi tether, TB, and froze some apps.

Battery was at about 95% or fully charged last night. Woke up and it was at 29%.

What is up with that>???? Any idea? Wifi was not on, there were no apps running - Advanced task manager runs every hour.

You need to do a battery calibration. This can be done in CMW but the easiest way is to download battery calibration from the market and follow the instructions. I read that you always need to do a battery calibration whenever changing ROMS or kernels. After the first time I did it, I went 30+ hours before needing to charge. I use imnuts' EE4 debloated ROM, which you can't go wrong with if you like the stock look.

nirnex

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I've just stepped through this. Going from stock EE4, I was able to successfully load CWM from Odin, and flashed PBJT w/voodoo-lagfix. Huge boost in speed, but I still don't have root access, did I miss something? Thanks.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

cruser635

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Well I F'd it up... I made the mistake of unziping the Kernal files and loading them in to a folder on my SD card, disconnected, went in to CWM and realized my mistake. What do I do?

I also forgot to load the SD Card patch file on the SD Card so what do I do about that?

Sorry, I feel like an idiot.

Last edited:

indianoverclocker

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Thank you chadness for the excellent step-by-step guide.

I have had my Charge for 3 months, and was sick of the lagginess and the horrible TW color scheme (poop-brown / yellow). I am finally rooted, debloated and GummyChrge 2.0'd :)

The quadrant scores went from high 600s - mid 700s to mid 2300s. And this thing is snappy as hell. I don't know why people have made such a big deal about rooting phones. They make it seem like it is as arduous as writing an OS. NO. Its so darn simple.

I was scared at first. I feared bricking my phone, and was overwhelmed by all the terminology and steps that had to taken. The Odin piece of it is made to look like (on most forums and by most people out there) as if it was sent straight from Steve Job's grave (Is it too early to make Steve Jobs jokes?). But it was soooo straightforward.

Odin failed on me a couple of times, but I just restarted that program and plugged / unplugged my phone a few times, and Odin was happy. It was so easy from that point on.

This write-up was EXTREMELY helpful. All the links were right there and all the steps were detailed enough for a history major (or any other field of study that does not even come close to anything techy / computer-related), blond headed, buy iPhone because its cool (although I have no clue what the iPhone is capable of. Oh does this thing have internet on it? Wait what's the internet?) - type female who does not care about technology to understand. You get the point.

kejar did an excellent job on the ROM. I love the open-source community, and having been a part of it, I really appreciate the efforts of the android community. Keep up the great work people.

I can't wait for Team Gummy's Ice Cream Sandwich ROM for my charge (hope they are working on it). Thank you all again. I read each and every post in this thread, and the other threads this one linked to.

(For the Record - The comments I made above might look like I'm a sexist or look down on people with certain type of educational background - but that is NOT the case. I have seen too many of those types here in Indiana; mid-west in general; to form a negative stereotype in my head. When I come across a person who has the aforementioned characteristics, but is at least remotely aware of the technology world, I will change my opinion. But, my point was that people with good computer skills, who ask intelligent questions, still make it look like a mountain of a task - while in reality it isn't. I know some people might have problems and are unfortunate that some little quirky thing is not working for them, but they are very few. My sympathies and apologies to them. For the others - please read a few posts, and follow the instructions provided by chadness, and you will be off to a much better android experience.)

Sorry if I blabbered too much. Thank you all once again. Android FTW! :) :)